BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Truly appreciate your help and expertise on this matter. I hope you can help?!
mice got a custom build R9T over what was a Urban GS. I’ve had an Airbox removal and yesterday replaced the External conical K&N filters with new ones. Giving done the straight swap I started it and the bikes idele revs Shot up from what I’m used to. I switched it off and restarted it and they seemed to settle down. However I now have an engine warning ⚠ on and Temp warning ⚠. When I cycle through the display I also no longer have engine temp displayed.
I’m getting a rapid warning ⚠ flash as the bike runs?
Is this something anyone else has ever come across?
I’m going to take it into a great garage for some other work next month who I’m sure will remedy things but I wondered if there was an easy/straightforward solution.
Very many thanks in advance!
cheers
Nick

·
Administrator
11,511 Posts
Have you kept the air intake temp sensor from the airbox connected to the bike?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think so Dave yes. As it was all working yesterday before the filter change. There was no engine warning light and the temp was showing.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
408 Posts
yesterday replaced the External conical K&N filters with new ones
Why are you replacing K&N filters when they're specifically sold as washable and reusable compared to paper element filters? Is something wrong with them beyond just needing to be cleaned that you felt the need to replace them? Was the bike displaying any poor behavior?

However I now have an engine warning ⚠ on and Temp warning ⚠. When I cycle through the display I also no longer have engine temp displayed.
I’m getting a rapid warning ⚠ flash as the bike runs?
Not a smart idea to run the bike in this state. If you have access to a device like the GS911 or Motoscan you should pull the fault codes and verify exactly what those lights are telling you besides temp. The rapidly flashing ⚠ with the engine symbol on the display is the most severe version of Engine Fault code display and I don't think it is capable of running in limp mode while that is displaying.

As BaldyDave suggests there has to be something amiss that you've failed to account for or fit after you removed and replaced your filters. The factory airbox carries both an airflow and temp sensor that has to be somewhere on your bike. If you still have your old filters carefully check if one of them seems to have anywhere on them where a sensor may have been previously inserted or attached.

In addition I'd double check that the filters are fully seated and sealed and verify if both of your throttle bodies still have their caps on the vacuum nipples. I'd imagine they'd be easy to knock off during a pod filter swap. Either situation would create a vacuum leak and lean condition which would certainly spike idle speed and cause the engine to run hot.

One possible source for the code is the throttle valve sensor/switch that is only located on the side of the left throttle body. If something happened to that or its electrical connector during the swap I'd imagine it could cause the ECU to report major issues.

Though my whole hearted suggestion is to get your bike in to the shop ASAP or don't ride it until you get it in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies guys. In answer. To your Qs....
1. I was swapping the filters from one K&N to another. Both conical exterior type following a full Airbox removal. They came from a trusted dealer and were brand new
2. I will check if I’ve knocked anything. The throttle valve control seems most likely. It was a very quick swap of the filters and it appeared to go smoothly. Certainly wasn’t a struggle to do so I’m not sure how I could’ve knocked it.

the bike was definitely running well yesterday. If you guys are saying that the filter change alone can’t be to blame then I’m convinced it must be a sensor or plug.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
408 Posts
You didn’t answer my question as to why you were swapping K&N filters. I get they were both K&N but my point is they’re basically lifetime filters that just need to be cleaned/oiled. Why were you swapping... what caused you to want to do it? I’m especially baffled as it was supposedly running well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, missed that part.....

the ones fitted were large conical ones. They protruded into my calf as I rode. I purchased a new better shaped set from a trusted source in the UK. They use them on all their R9T customs and I know they are suitable for the job.
min short the reason for the change was part cosmetic and part ergonomics.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
408 Posts
So you’ve gone from a larger element filter to a smaller one. That means the amount of air flowing through them has changed. Any change to airflow means a change in engine performance and the ECU either needs to adapt or in some cases tuned. This would certainly result in a short term rough idle while the bike adjusts, possibly even increasing engine speed to help adapt.

It does not explain the engine warning lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was my presumption on the high idle which now seems to be resolved. The ECU seems to have adjusted the revs.
asyou say it doesn’t explain the ⚠.
Many thanks fir taking the time to respond. I’m going to get the bike lifted to a local service garage and get diagnostics done.
Cheers again 👍🏼

·
Administrator
11,511 Posts
@Nick_cre I think you're doing exactly the right thing and letting a bike mechanic have a look. I think @if0rg0t2remember has made some good observations but as he states, the issue is the warning lights and they definitely shouldn't be ignored nor the bike ridden until the issue is resolved. If I were a betting man my money would be on a disconnected or faulty sensor.

Good luck, mate! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts