BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an irritating ailment in my R90 Racer, driving slowly and on 90-degree turns as from a low RPM range and speed, I start to add gas, the motorcycle chokes and only after choking it starts to accelerate smoothly, the problem only concerns low RPM. It seems to me that the problem is exacerbated when the motorcycle is very hot, e.g. after driving in a traffic jam. This is definitely not a normal situation and sometimes also dangerous ... has anyone had a similar problem? Mileage about 9000 km

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand bike is yours since 0km and during 9000km you didn´t feel nothing strange? It is only nowdays?
The bike is my since 900km, previous owner did this mileage during two years.
On the beginning I did not noticed it, but now (since about 7000km) it's getting me angry...
It's hard to notice when you drive normally (not in traffic), but during slow city driving it's terrible, before letting clutch lever you need to add some throttle to not choke engine (add RPM) and than release cluch lever

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:unsure:. 9000km is not so much kilometers but probably 1 sparkplug (there are 4 in total) is not working properly???

In adittion Cylinder synchronization would be good idea to check???
I will replace spark plugs on the beggining than if nothing will change I will try connect to comp and make synchro...
to be sure NGK MAR8B-JDS?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes, model is correct. Revise sparkplug and his torque (did you use dinamo wrench?), revise also caps (black rubber piece you push to the bottom). Be sure they are well fitted. No grease in the contact. Clean all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks, let know after inspection and ride with new spark plugs
You could try this.

"I did the TPS reset without any external devices. This is done by turning the ignition on (don't start the bike), open and close the throttle fully 3 times and then with the throttle closed, turn the ignition off.
It made a big difference for me".

Stumbling/Hesitation @ Idle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spark plugs replaced, lower spark plug black, I know from experience that lower are always darker than the upper ones, but this one was completely black. I changed to new ones, it is the reason, but what is the main reason??? Season in Poland if over this night we had -1 Celsius degrees. We will see next season... I will update

·
Registered
2018 BMW R NINE T PURE
9 Posts
I've been having issues with R NINE T Pure recently. Early this summer the bike stalled on me during during a slow speed turn in 2nd gear and two times while stopped in 1st gear with the clutch engaged. I couldn't understand why it was behaving that way. The sparkplugs were changed last summer, engine oil was also replaced. For some reason today, while riding and downshifting from 3rd gear to 2nd the bike stalled on me. The right side of the bike shook a little and since the ride earlier today, the bike seems a bit unresponsive...somewhat sluggish on the throttle. I think it might be an engine sync issue...it'll try that to see if that makes a difference and post back on the thread. It may be similar issue to Woyteck_PL "low speeds and chockes". Unfortunately my bike just chockes and completely shuts down. I might try to some fuel injector cleaner to see if that cures the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
The bike is my since 900km, previous owner did this mileage during two years.
On the beginning I did not noticed it, but now (since about 7000km) it's getting me angry...
It's hard to notice when you drive normally (not in traffic), but during slow city driving it's terrible, before letting clutch lever you need to add some throttle to not choke engine (add RPM) and than release cluch lever
I think you’ll find that characteristic is pretty common. It has to do with the firing pattern. There is a point in the firing order where… if you call for torque with out that re-enforcing rev you can stall the boxer pretty quickly. Get into the habit of goosing the engine prior to releasing the clutch… no issue, just a characteristic of the engine. It’s an opposing 2 …
the nature of the beast when it’s a 4 cycle. ……..Blitz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you’ll find that characteristic is pretty common. It has to do with the firing pattern. There is a point in the firing order where… if you call for torque with out that re-enforcing rev you can stall the boxer pretty quickly. Get into the habit of goosing the engine prior to releasing the clutch… no issue, just a characteristic of the engine. It’s an opposing 2 …
the nature of the beast when it’s a 4 cycle. ……..Blitz
I'm honestly not sure. I have a GSA with the same engine and it works beautifully at all RPM's. I know the Racer has different characteristics, but that different ???
Secondly, that the lower spark plug or right side looks like this does not mean that the engine is working properly, for sure
Hand Household hardware Finger Nickel Gas

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I'm honestly not sure. I have a GSA with the same engine and it works beautifully at all RPM's. I know the Racer has different characteristics, but that different ???
Secondly, that the lower spark plug or right side looks like this does not mean that the engine is working properly, for sure
View attachment 147860
I think you’ll find that lower plug is alway going to look that way … Did you check the left side to compare ? Just clean them and check for arc pitting if to extensive replace it. Every stock 9T I’ve ridden has that hesitation at idle or low RPM … I just adapted my slow turns and start up from standing still with a very slight blip on the throttle and that was that … no issue and I never stalled it again. I’m not sure .. because I can’t be there with your bike … but i don’t think you have an issue if you just blip it before asking for power at low RPM’s ……Blitz
P.S, I’m just guessing but there could be a big difference in the gearbox and final on the R9T and the GSA … this little engine has a lot of torque … but not when idling. ✌😎

Reactions: Lelc2

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
61 Posts
That doesn't look like its even been firing. If the plug on the other cylinder is the same then maybe its a characteristic, but looking at that plug it seems one cylinder is running far too rich. Maybe an injector fault?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
That doesn't look like its even been firing. If the plug on the other cylinder is the same then maybe its a characteristic, but looking at that plug it seems one cylinder is running far too rich. Maybe an injector fault?
Obviously mileage and maintenance habits will make a difference … but I’m pretty sure if you pull both your lower plugs you’ll find them in a similar state. Compare the two and if there similar then clean them up a bit and swap the side they were in and see if it has any effect on performance. The upper and lower plugs fire differently and the result is the lower plug burns differently, not as clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I wrote above, I know that the lower spark plug is always darker and this is the standard (I have and service the 2010 GS Adventure with an identical engine). In this case, a significant difference between the lower right (in the photo) and the left, of course, the left is brighter. I am sure that the right engine cylinder is not working properly. After examining the upper right spark plug, I noticed the loss of the electrode due to wear...
This is not a normal situation, even if the spark plugs were not replaced from the news (mileage now 9000km).
I am going to observe the topic, unfortunately in Poland the season is almost over and probably only in March / April next year I will be driving again so I have to wait.
When I find a time, I will try to connect it somewhere under the computer, maybe it will say something more about noticed errors.

Anyway I will update you

·
Registered
463 Posts
In my case darkest sparkplug is left lower. Due to way We park Ninet. Over his left side stand. Oil remain? In this place and for this reason is darker than others in upper position. Even low right.

If you are used to bi cylinder as mentioned I also think there is something wrong. Injection setting. Cylinder sync.???

Do you change air filter or exahust?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The air filter was replaced at the beginning of the season, but in my opinion it does not affect for operation of only one cylinder.
Exhaust changed at dealer from the new for full titanium Zard.
Synchro will be the next step for sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts