BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
324 Posts
The choking is more when the engine is cold, yes did notice it, but as soon as you ride a few miles it is less of an issue, I suppose it is one of those quirks you get used to.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The air filter was replaced at the beginning of the season, but in my opinion it does not affect for operation of only one cylinder.
Exhaust changed at dealer from the new for full titanium Zard.
Synchro will be the next step for sure.
Well. I think when we replaced air filter + exhaust (even more if air filter is like BMC/K&N or similar "open flow" filters) injection has to be readjusted. Bad combustion of mix air&gas can produce this issues? Including deterioration of sparkplugs???. I mean sparkplug is only a symptom what is going wrong... Revise injection

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
69 Posts
Well. I think when we replaced air filter + exhaust (even more if air filter is like BMC/K&N or similar "open flow" filters) injection has to be readjusted. Bad combustion of mix air&gas can produce this issues? Including deterioration of sparkplugs???. I mean sparkplug is only a symptom what is going wrong... Revise injection
In which case it would affect both cylinders surely? Unless the OP has individual filters like K&N. This issue looks more like a bad coil pack or a faulty injector.

·
Registered
478 Posts
In which case it would affect both cylinders surely? Unless the OP has individual filters like K&N. This issue looks more like a bad coil pack or a faulty injector.
Yes. I think so. But I am not sure. I´m not expert. Here there is picture can help. It is from Haynes manual.

According to this picture. Carbon fouling???. He said one sparkplug seems like that...Sometimes injection is not the same in both cylinder? And you need to adjust where it is needed???

When I remove mine. low left was the darkest (I think because of parking ninet over left side stand???), second darker was Low right. The upper ones were good and very similar.

So If we change something like air filter/exaust etc probably original ECU is not able to adjust itself the new mix properly? It Is out of range and we need to adjust in the mechanic?

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
The air filter was replaced at the beginning of the season, but in my opinion it does not affect for operation of only one cylinder.
Exhaust changed at dealer from the new for full titanium Zard.
Synchro will be the next step for sure.
Well ..what ever it is it’s going to be something that effects just the one cylinder so air filter and exhaust is out. It’s compression, or FI timing or dirty injector, bad plug, sync on throttle body’s, valve seats. Something that only effects one side. Keep us informed on what you discover …. Best of fortune Mate ……Blitz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just read through this thread. My R9T started sputtering & backfiring at low rpms this past week, right after I changed out the air filter. In lifting tank up, could I have misplaced hoses or wires that have suddenly created this problem on mine? (FYI 24,000km and never had the problem before.)

·
Registered
2018 BMW R NINE T PURE
11 Posts
Yes. I think so. But I am not sure. I´m not expert. Here there is picture can help. It is from Haynes manual.

According to this picture. Carbon fouling???. He said one sparkplug seems like that...Sometimes injection is not the same in both cylinder? And you need to adjust where it is needed???

When I remove mine. low left was the darkest (I think because of parking ninet over left side stand???), second darker was Low right. The upper ones were good and very similar.

So If we change something like air filter/exaust etc probably original ECU is not able to adjust itself the new mix properly? It Is out of range and we need to adjust in the mechanic?
Hi Lelc2,

Sorry to hear you are still having issues with your bike. I haven't had any issues since my last post. I did add fuel injector cleaner but I can't be certain that this eliminated my issues I experienced earlier this summer. Unfortunately the riding season is pretty much done in Canada for me and I'm going to putting my bike away :(. If I have this issue next summer I'll try to problem solve it with you, however, I suspect my issues may have been due to low engine oil. Last summer I performed spark plug changes and early this summer I adjusted the valves and didn't top up the engine oil after removing the covers and oil spilling out. I say this due to the fact that when I performed the oil change, just this week, I had noted that I only drained out 3.5 vs 4.0 quarts oil. Is suspect I lost .50 during the maintenance work I performed.

Regards,
HH22

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi Lelc2,

Sorry to hear you are still having issues with your bike. I haven't had any issues since my last post. I did add fuel injector cleaner but I can't be certain that this eliminated my issues I experienced earlier this summer. Unfortunately the riding season is pretty much done in Canada for me and I'm going to putting my bike away :(. If I have this issue next summer I'll try to problem solve it with you, however, I suspect my issues may have been due to low engine oil. Last summer I performed spark plug changes and early this summer I adjusted the valves and didn't top up the engine oil after removing the covers and oil spilling out. I say this due to the fact that when I performed the oil change, just this week, I had noted that I only drained out 3.5 vs 4.0 quarts oil. Is suspect I lost .50 during the maintenance work I performed.

Regards,
HH22
Oh. No. I have no problems. I only was trying to help.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts