BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think BMW will up date the R9T engine to the 1200LC engine. Thought please

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm afraid the water cooled engine doesn't have as much character so I hope not.
Haven't ridden a shift cam version so maybe that one is ok. Still doesn't really fit the idea of the 9t being a back to basics kinda bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm afraid the water cooled engine doesn't have as much character so I hope not.
Haven't ridden a shift cam version so maybe that one is ok. Still doesn't really fit the idea of the 9t being a back to basics kinda bike.
Hi I was thinking the r1200 LC engine not the r1250 shift cam. Technology has to move forward and will the current R9T engine confirm to euro 6 & 7 in years to come. It would be a shame to loose the R9T range

·
Registered
24 Posts
Probably, BMW will have to go the same way as Triumph who dropped their air cooled Bonneville range in favour of water cooled to meet Euro 5 regulations (I think or was it 4?).
Lost some of the old character I felt (kept my 2012 SE for that reason). It's a pleasant surprise to find a modern air cooled bike these days and on reason I prefer the Rninet to the Thruxton.

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
Really hope not.... The LC engine is technically great, pretty powerful but totally lacking in character. I'll be keeping my 2014 bike.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Had owned a 1500 cc water-cooled shaft drive cruiser before switching to the R9T and prefer the "back to basics" of "air cooled" (and never having to change coolant!).

Sure, the water-cooled bikes will have more HP but I have not felt that loss of HP during my daily rides, perhaps am not up to that level of riding expertise :)

Also, never did like the look of a big rad hanging between the down-tubes or in front of the motor.
Besides, I believe that the prime purpose of migrating to LC, is the ability of that technology to adhere to the ever stricter emission standards, HP is secondary (except for track/race bikes).

Anyhow motorcycle riding is a personal choice and each to their own.

"be free from the gravity of expectation"

·
Registered
69 Posts
Funny to hear you guys talk about "air cooled". If memory serves me well, the last "proper" air-cooled engines were produced in '95. The norm then were the oil-cooled in various iterations, "hex-heads" being the last ones, I believe. The R9T engines are some iteration of these.

In the end, it may all be semantics and definitely not trying to start a war - maybe I have been out the discussions for too long, not bothering with those "modern engines", sticking to my trusty airheads ('77 and '95).
As mentioned by some already, the R9T series of bike will lose a lot of its charm, character and appeal if BMW were to shoehorn the LC engine in it. Would have to do a major redesign too, to accommodate the radiator and down-draft throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
True, but Triumph seemed to manage the transition OK. The radiator on the Bonneville range looks like a vertically placed oil cooler and they even made the throttle bodies look like old fashioned carburettors. :cool:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
they even made the throttle bodies look like old fashioned carburettors. :cool:
Which is the exact reason I wouldn't buy a 'heritage' Triumph........there is just Sooooo much that is fake about them, which would grate on me every time I looked it.

Fake carbs, fake air cooled fins, fake pre-unit crankcases, fake straight through exhaust headers (so it looks like it hasn't got a cat), fake water rad masquerading as an oil cololer.......geez they even sell fake throttle cables coz it's actually got a fly-by-wire throttle!!

I respect the way BMW has not tried to hide the fact the Rnine boxer is fuel injected, or tried to hide that it has a catalytic converter.....so if in the future the Rnine range was to utilise the LC motor, then I certainly hope they don't go down the route of fakeness that Triumph has chosen to tread.

But having said that I actually hope they don't use the LC motor at all.......but in the name of future sales and profit, I would wager it's inevitable they do!

·
Registered
158 Posts
With the shape of the world's economy, or at the very least, America's economy (a quarter of my state is on unemployment) I am pretty confident assuming the R9T won't be the only model to get shelved by 2021. I doubt the R18 will make it passed 2022. Just an incredibly niche within a niche product.

All dealers are basically in survivor mode right now, having laid off about 1-2/3 their staff they're now all relying 99% on service revenue. Why would anyone buy a new $15k motorcycle right now when you can get a Ducati with 10k miles for $2k on Craigslist? You can get a used Miata RF for about $20k or a Boxster with 60k miles for $10k (pre-IMS fix).

We were in prime "an economic disaster is coming" mode before the pandemic. Investors were spending money on truly stupid shit in 2019, again, BMW even made a $20,000 1800cc cruiser. Who was going to buy that? People who had outrageous disposable money, thats who. When you you get people with outrageous disposable money? Right before the economy pops.

Thats just my armchair outlook, but I like the way Triumph's Modern Classic bikes look, so my opinion is really not worth much.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My guess would be that when production begins again in the world's factories, BMW, along with most other manufactures of consumer goods, will concentrate their production on items in their range that will sell. This will help them to rebuild as rapidly as possible, along with their distribution channels and suppliers of materials and parts, etc. Any undue emphasis or focus on niche products would be very detrimental to the rebuilding process. :geek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've owned airheads, oilheads, camheads and waterheads. With every new progression they lost some of the character and feel, but gained performance (and weight). The 1200GSA LC was a great bike with a great motor but lacked the 'soul' of my 07 oilhead. I sold the waterboxer, and now have the camhead Urban GS. If I could buy back my own R80g/s airhead I would do it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Motorcycle sales are reportedly up. As are RV sales and other luxury ‘social distancing’ items. But who knows what the economy will be like in not many months. I expect some great used bike deals in the near future.

As to the liquid cooled motor, it will not just squeeze into the existing design. As others have noted, it would have to be an all new bike. As such, I highly doubt we’ll see anything sold with the same name after this run. But then BMW doesn’t always make sense (the twin 800cc F650 comes to mind).

Ps. My Turban has as much or more character as my recent ‘77 R100. But it’s a vastly superior machine without being so effective as to be boring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BMW may continue to sell the r nine t range for many years, just not in Europe. The US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and probably many other countries still have old air cooled bikes like the DR650, DRZ400, etc. The nine T family exceeds the standard those other bikes have to meet.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Looks like I will keep my nineT if they go to the water-cooled motor. Same reason I will keep my flat 6 forever since those engineers decided in 2016 to switch to a flat 4 turbo, takes away the whole experience...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can we still call an R9T with LC engine a heritage bike? I don't think so. It makes no sense, in my opinion. At that point go in a different direction and create something new. I think BMW has pushed the R9T line far enough and might wrap it up soon (and the post COVID reality will expedite the process). As Laurence of Suburbia mentioned above, companies will have to focus on the bottom line, and I would expect "niche" models to be chopped in favor of more profitable models (that are also easier to conform to emission standards). E-bikes are already breathing on the industry's neck, and my hunch is that the renewed interest in motorcycles will head in that direction. I am a content traditionalist and happy to stroll around with Pure, and I would have purchased the Moto Guzzi Griso if the R9T was LC back on 2017, when I got my bike. Yet, based on what I see on the roads, we are a minority of riders....and companies will have to go after the masses in lean times.

·
Registered
141 Posts
R9T with the LC engine? that's a total re-design and i can't see it happening because it's no longer an R9T. BMW already make what the OP has asked about, its the unfaired roadster bike with the LC engine and a telescopic fork, but nothing retro about it. I think its just called 1200R, i'm sure someone here knows it. If they try to mess too much with the R9T formula.................:confused:

·
Registered
620 Posts
BMW already make what the OP has asked about, its the unfaired roadster bike with the LC engine and a telescopic fork, but nothing retro about it. I think its just called 1200R, i'm sure someone here knows it.

It's the R1200 R (for Roadster) LC. After many years (since 1997) on - mainly - R1200 Rs (and a handful of GSs) all with the incomparable Telelever front suspension, I bought an R1200 R LC when Motorrad introduced the LC models, dropped the Telelever (but it's still retained on GSs and RTs), and went to conventional front suspension.
Nothing wrong with that - but I didn't enjoy that bike at all - too much plastic, too many electronological doo-dahs, too many $$$s, and not enough Telelever. But the world moves on...

The 'original' Telever-equipped R1200 Rs were super bikes, great for commuting or touring and everything between, but never really appreciated by the masses.

Reactions: vagueout
1 - 20 of 22 Posts