BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually encounter heavy traffic (Philippine traffic) going home and I see my temp going up to 143°C and staying there.

My bike is just at 500kms and is just a few weeks old.

I feel the heat through my boots.

My concern is heat, and given our 33-39°C ambient temperature, I'd like to have some peace of mind when it comes to the protection of the engine.

That's why I've been reading this thread.

Is 143°C fine and just normal?

Really no need to be concerned?

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,601 Posts
I usually encounter heavy traffic (Philippine traffic) going home and I see my temp going up to 143°C and staying there.

My bike is just at 500kms and is just a few weeks old.

I feel the heat through my boots.

My concern is heat, and given our 33-39°C ambient temperature, I'd like to have some peace of mind when it comes to the protection of the engine.

That's why I've been reading this thread.

Is 143°C fine and just normal?

Really no need to be concerned?
Probably normal given the riding conditions (you don't see these in Scotland! lol) but I'd advise you shooting your BMW dealer an email asking for their comments. That way if they come back and say nothing unusual, then you have it on record. Also gives them the option to bring the bike in and have a look at it if they think there is an issue such as the oil cooler not working.

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
Moved the above posts from the oil thread to it's own thread as this isn't really an oil-related issue.

I've also clarified my initial response. Strongly suggest you contact your local BMW Motorrad dealer.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
308 Posts
How and where did you get a figure of 143 deg C temperature.
2017 (Euro4) bikes have a built in temp gauge.

I honestly think 143°C or 289°F is the highest the gauge goes up. Mine got up to that riding home from a service when I got stuck in horrible traffic. It quickly rose to 289 and then never showed a temp above that. Took a very long time to drop from 289 down to anything else as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Temperatur sensor is lokated on the right side of the engine block where the oil comes back from
the hot right cylinder head. This oil is hotter than the oil in the oil sump.
Most other bikes except from BMW have their sensor for oil temperatur in the cooler oilsump..
So don't get fooled by the shown temperature on our bikes.
Why BMW does it this way I could not find out yet.
To my knowledge modern oil is stabel up to 180 degrees Celsius. (Is that 356 Fahrenheit?).

·
Registered
360 Posts
Temperatur sensor is lokated on the right side of the engine block where the oil comes back from
the hot right cylinder head. This oil is hotter than the oil in the oil sump.
Most other bikes except from BMW have their sensor for oil temperatur in the cooler oilsump..
So don't get fooled by the shown temperature on our bikes.
Why BMW does it this way I could not find out yet.
To my knowledge modern oil is stabel up to 180 degrees Celsius. (Is that 356 Fahrenheit?).
Thanks Fritz!
;)

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you are regularly hitting those temperatures use a very good synthetic oil which can withstand large temperature swings.

Also remember that the oil temp is relative of where the sensor is located. Oil temp would be extremely hot under the pistons and cooler at the sump.

If you are using mineral oils then I would be changing it more often to reduce the accumulation of acids, moisture and oxidation and oil break down at higher temperatures.

I personally being using Amsoil 20w-50 from the initial break in and has no issue.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you are regularly hitting those temperatures use a very good synthetic oil which can withstand large temperature swings.

Also remember that the oil temp is relative of where the sensor is located. Oil temp would be extremely hot under the pistons and cooler at the sump.

If you are using mineral oils then I would be changing it more often to reduce the accumulation of acids, moisture and oxidation and oil break down at higher temperatures.

I personally being using Amsoil 20w-50 from the initial break in and has no issue.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've ridden in 40deg c temperatures is stop go traffic and the highest I've seen is about 115-120deg c however as soon as there is traffic flow the oil temp drops to 75-80deg c fairly quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all

My bike is currently in the shop getting the first 1000T km service done. At the same time, I'm having some Outex installed on my rims to make them tubeless

Anyway, i mentioned to the service manager that I hit 143 degrees C when I get in a bit of heavy traffic

He said that is a bit too high and just recommended to turn off the engine instead of idling in traffic

the 2017 models have oil temp sensors, unlike older models, apparently

No, the temp warning hasn't come up at any time so that's a bit of good news to me =)

After this oil change, the service manager said to just monitor and see if the temp becomes better

I have been breaking it in according to the manual - no higher than 5000 rpm and I don't stay in a speed too long - just around 10 to 20 seconds at a time. I generally run up to 5000 revs, stay for around 10 seconds (6th gear), release throttle and engine break down to 3000 rpm (still in 6th gear) - hold it for a few seconds then wring it up back to 5000 and repeat as often as I can.

Could that be adding to the heat when I eventually stop and idle at stops?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2017 (Euro4) bikes have a built in temp gauge.

I honestly think 143°C or 289°F is the highest the gauge goes up. Mine got up to that riding home from a service when I got stuck in horrible traffic. It quickly rose to 289 and then never showed a temp above that. Took a very long time to drop from 289 down to anything else as well.

We have the same experience

When I hit 143 degrees C, it takes a few minutes (running at modest speeds) to make the temp go down.

Stopping the engine at first sign of traffic is still the fastest way to cool down in my experience in the Philippines

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
Agree that killing the engine when stuck in traffic is probably the best way to combat the high temp. Also use a really good quality engine oil if you aren't already.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A modern synthetic oil will be fine at temperatures up to 250C - as in it will survive and remain stable. Oils often see this sort of temperature in turbo engines where the turbo runs very hot or where it's used as a coolant on the underside of the pistons, but the temperature of the oil entering the oil galleries to the main bearings and camshaft ought to be much lower - ideally 90C to 110C - that's the ideal range.

I've no idea where the BMW gauge picks up the oil temperature from, hopefully the sump as that's where the oil pump gets it to push into the engine.

140C is a bit high but as long as you're using a modern synthetic oil I think it'll be OK. Genuine synthetics can stay in grade at higher temperatures than mineral oil - but that's another discussion :)

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
308 Posts
I've no idea where the BMW gauge picks up the oil temperature from, hopefully the sump as that's where the oil pump gets it to push into the engine.
It isn't ideal but the oil temp sensor is in the right cylinder head just after the cylinder I believe. So yes our oil temp reading will be on the high side.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Has the same issue lately with temperature remaining stable on 143 during a high speed ride in very hot conditions.
the manual does not say anything on engine temperature maximum levels. . . did anybody ever gotten anything in writing from BMW on the recommended max temperature?
cheers from Dubai

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
308 Posts
Has the same issue lately with temperature remaining stable on 143 during a high speed ride in very hot conditions.
the manual does not say anything on engine temperature maximum levels. . . did anybody ever gotten anything in writing from BMW on the recommended max temperature?
cheers from Dubai
As previously mentioned the 143C is simply the highest temp the gauge can indicate, but not the actual highest temp the bike can safely run at.

There is also a temp warning light that will come on when your oil is actually overheating. When this happens the yellow warning light will illuminate inside the dial and the screen will show a thermometer icon on the right side in the warning area. I have no idea what temperature will actually trip this as the temp gauge still shows 143C/289F, and my BMW dealer wasn't able to answer the question.

However the temp warning light does work and will illuminate eventually.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
There is also a temp warning light that will come on when your oil is actually overheating. When this happens the yellow warning light will illuminate inside the dial and the screen will show a thermometer icon on the right side in the warning area. I have no idea what temperature will actually trip this as the temp gauge still shows 143C/289F, and my BMW dealer wasn't able to answer the question.
What would be interesting is a temp sensor in (or replacing) the engine oil drain plug. That would give the "oil in the sump" temps that match the numbers we're accustomed to seeing for oil temps. No I'm not volunteering, but am curious enough to go for a ride or two (once the snow melts again) leaving my laptop and GS911 set up so I can can plug it in upon returning and seeing what the "engine temp" is. My 2015 doesn't show numbers on the cluster but a GS911 can access the same info. I'm running a flashed ECU that I would expect to give lower temps than stock. I did this before but I don't remember what the numbers were, just that they weren't at all "excessive".

1 - 20 of 130 Posts