BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
On today's short ride with ambient 25C temp and pretty much non-stop riding (no stop-start traffic) averaging say 60kph, engine temp showed mid to high 90's Celsius. I have no idea if this is good, bad, or indifferent. Any ideas please chums? TIA as always...

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
615 Posts
Don't put too much stock in the engine temp readout. Our bikes measure the oil temp behind the right cylinder instead of in the sump like most are used to seeing. As such it will always read higher than most are used to. But from my experience high 90sC/200F is about right for casual riding.

Additionally the temp readout has cap and will stop displaying the actual temp above 143C/289F. That is not the temp at which the bike overheats, it is simply the max displayed. If the bike ever gets too hot the display will flash the triangular warning light and put a thermometer icon in the screen on the speedo.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
On today's short ride with ambient 25C temp and pretty much non-stop riding (no stop-start traffic) averaging say 60kph, engine temp showed mid to high 90's Celsius. I have no idea if this is good, bad, or indifferent. Any ideas please chums? TIA as always...
Hey Lawrence, if0rg0t2remember is correct. Air cooled engines are designed to run at much higher temps than water cooled motors. The heat temp parameters are a much wider range. The R9T has a redundancy as a safety in that it has an oil cooler. As long as your oil is high quality and your sump is topped off correctly you can feel confident your moto will do well. As if0rg0t2remember suggested watch your instruments. I’d bet the only time you need worry is in traffic stop and go for long periods of time in the heat of summer. If it happens just get off the highway, take the long way home and get some wind in your hair. When it’s said, as it is by many, that the boxer is bullet proof there’s a reason. I’m in Texas and partner it gets hot hot. I run full synthetic oil for one reason, it can take the heat and not break down. Keep your moto topped up and you’ll be fine. Cheers Mate !

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thanks, all. Not over-thinking it at all - just trying to get a handle on things!

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,829 Posts
@mardar that is an excellent solution and I think the first fan installation we have seen on the forum.
Where does the thermostat pickup the temperature?

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the second picture you see the wire going in to the oil return hose to the engine. It's a sensor which comes with the fan.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
During really hot months if your forced to deal with traffic a couple of 5” flat 12vdc computer type pan fans can push quite a bit of air thru that oil cooler radiator sitting perfectly still and even with the engine shut off as has been recommended. I live in Texas and during July and August it regularly hit 100+ and I’ve often used this trick. I have no temp gage but the dash warning lite has never lit up during my daily commuting. When the season cools down, off come the fans, ...easy-peazy. Stay UpOn2 Blitz

·
Registered
11 Posts
During really hot months if your forced to deal with traffic a couple of 5” flat 12vdc computer type pan fans can push quite a bit of air thru that oil cooler radiator sitting perfectly still and even with the engine shut off as has been recommended. I live in Texas and during July and August it regularly hit 100+ and I’ve often used this trick. I have no temp gage but the dash warning lite has never lit up during my daily commuting. When the season cools down, off come the fans, ...easy-peazy. Stay UpOn2 Blitz
Hmmm - that’s quite an idea, and maybe a good summer use of the 12v dongle I installed for my heated winter gear. The plastic housing on the fan doesn’t melt at all sitting on the oil cooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Hmmm - that’s quite an idea, and maybe a good summer use of the 12v dongle I installed for my heated winter gear. The plastic housing on the fan doesn’t melt at all sitting on the oil cooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t know what the melting temperature of the housing actually is Blue. I made a frame from strips of wood about 1” wide and 3/8” thick by about 10” long so it supports both fans, it’s about the same size as the cooler. The fans are about 5” by 5” so the plastic doesn’t actually touch the cooler. I attached the fans to the frame with small wood screws and ground off the excess length. It’s never melted anything so far or even scorched the wood. I use tie wire to hold the unit in place against the cooler, I’m pretty sure nylon zip ties would work too. I use it for about two months each year and I plug it in to the same pig tail that I use when I charge the battery every night. I use a battery maintainer to keep it topped off. It’s not complicate and an easy DIY project. I’m not sure what kind of heat your dealing with Blue but Dallas had more than 50 days in a row of 100+ degrees Fahrenheit temp last year and I never got an overheat warning. However I also practice shutting of the engine when it obvious we’re going to be sitting for a while like when there’s an accident. I just let the fans run full time. Last, I use a high temp rated fully synthetic oil, Mobil 1. That really helps too. Cheers StayUpOn2 Blitz

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don’t know what the melting temperature of the housing actually is Blue. I made a frame from strips of wood about 1” wide and 3/8” thick by about 10” long so it supports both fans, it’s about the same size as the cooler. The fans are about 5” by 5” so the plastic doesn’t actually touch the cooler. I attached the fans to the frame with small wood screws and ground off the excess length. It’s never melted anything so far or even scorched the wood. I use tie wire to hold the unit in place against the cooler, I’m pretty sure nylon zip ties would work too. I use it for about two months each year and I plug it in to the same pig tail that I use when I charge the battery every night. I use a battery maintainer to keep it topped off. It’s not complicate and an easy DIY project. I’m not sure what kind of heat your dealing with Blue but Dallas had more than 50 days in a row of 100+ degrees Fahrenheit temp last year and I never got an overheat warning. However I also practice shutting of the engine when it obvious we’re going to be sitting for a while like when there’s an accident. I just let the fans run full time. Last, I use a high temp rated fully synthetic oil, Mobil 1. That really helps too. Cheers StayUpOn2 Blitz
This and any sort of fan blower system seems extremely unnecessary. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but the boxer in it's various forms has been air/oil cooled since god knows when. I actually trust BMW engineers that the engine isn't going combust by riding in high temperatures.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
This and any sort of fan blower system seems extremely unnecessary. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but the boxer in it's various forms has been air/oil cooled since god knows when. I actually trust BMW engineers that the engine isn't going combust by riding in high temperatures.
Each to his own. When I spend that kind of money on a Motorcycle I’m going to protect my investment in every way I can. I’ve ridden this bike hard every time I mount up since 2015 and she runs like a top. This is an easy DIY project for $50 bucks tops, to protect a $15,000.00 moto
in sweltering heat under the worst of conditions. How often does it hit 112 degrees in Germany ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Each to his own. When I spend that kind of money on a Motorcycle I’m going to protect my investment in every way I can. I’ve ridden this bike hard every time I mount up since 2015 and she runs like a top. This is an easy DIY project for $50 bucks tops, to protect a $15,000.00 moto
in sweltering heat under the worst of conditions. How often does it hit 112 degrees in Germany ?
What? You think that BMW engineers don't test engines, parts etc for the extremes in markets that they sell to? Please.
Absolutely each to your own, but it's absolutely unnecessary and it's scaremongering for people who are less mechanically minded or may not know the history of the engines.
You're not protecting anything, you're adding a feature to your motorbike that YOU think is necessary. It's not a preventative measure for engine longevity by any means.

While it sounds a bit too kludgy for my taste, one can’t overstate the awfulness of Texas heat.
It might be absurd to Americans, but there are countries in the world with temperatures and weather conditions that are of equal or worse severity. Try living in the UAE/Gulf. BMW also sells cars and motorbikes there too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No shit. ?
That doesn’t make Texas in summer not damned hot.

As to BMW’s supposed infallibility, well... no.

View attachment 129742
At what point did I say that BMWs are infallible? As someone who came from the GS world, I'm well aware of their shortcomings.
But an engine that's released as a oil/aircooled engine that's been around decades in various forms is not going to overheat. The r9Ts basically have an engine with a near perfected design in it.

101 - 120 of 154 Posts