BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
315 Posts
I was wondering, when I cold start my nineT the headers are untouchable hot within a short minute. I just started the bike and wanted to quickly wipe a bit of dust of the header with the sleeve of my jacket. Silly me, my jacket is now ruined, instantly melted where I touched it.

Is this just silly me? I know for obvious reasons the exhaust system will get hot, but I can’t remember my other bikes to get that hot within such a short time after a cold start.
Discolouration of headers close to engines are due to the extremely high temperatures at exit, lucky you it was jacket and not your hand.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, but within a minute of coldstart!? Maybe I just never noticed because of the more prominent location of the headers on boxer motors versus the two in line on my previous 650gs

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I was wondering, when I cold start my nineT the headers are untouchable hot within a short minute. I just started the bike and wanted to quickly wipe a bit of dust of the header with the sleeve of my jacket. Silly me, my jacket is now ruined, instantly melted where I touched it.

Is this just silly me? I know for obvious reasons the exhaust system will get hot, but I can’t remember my other bikes to get that hot within such a short time after a cold start.
You may have thought your other bikes didn’t get that hot that quick .. you’re wrong.... how many times did you wipe them down after they were running ? I think it’s just silly you waiting longer than you thought you waited and wiping a hot hot pipe with a synthetic fabric. In 30 seconds it will burn your hand, in one minute it will melt synthetics ... hell in 5 minutes it will light a cigarette... you should see them at night after an hour at 90. They turn cherry red,
no surprise ... be careful and be glad you had something between you and the pipe. It’s really hard to grip the handle bars with a burnt fingers ........Blitz

·
Premium Member
2020 BMW R9T Pure, Ali tank.
806 Posts
Dominic,
I think, at some time, some manufacturers used double skinned pipes for headers in an attempt to stop discolouration (Apparently some thought those pretty colours ugly, or a sign of poor quality materials) and those type exhaust would take a little longer (Not much) to heat up after starting.
Cheers,Ken.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
401 Posts
Dominic,
I think, at some time, some manufacturers used double skinned pipes for headers in an attempt to stop discolouration (Apparently some thought those pretty colours ugly, or a sign of poor quality materials) and those type exhaust would take a little longer (Not much) to heat up after starting.
Cheers,Ken.
The R18 has double walled exhaust headers to prevent discolouration.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 2017 Racer recently has been running 10-20˚F hotter recently. It used to sit at approximately 220-230˚F even at idle in traffic, but over the past few months the temperature runs 240-250˚F and has reached slightly higher than 260˚F idle in traffic.

These temperatures are not very high, I know. What concerns me is that the motor started running significantly hotter in a brief period of time and the ambient temperature has not yet gotten truly hot.

My bike has a little more than 2500 miles on it, so it is still breaking in. That said, I decided to drain the oil and noticed a fair bit of gold-colored swarf. Not too much, but more than I would expect. If it were transmission oil, I would be unsurprised.

My BMW warranty expires next month, so I wonder if I should take it to the local BMW dealer—which is not located conveniently nearby nor am I fond of their service department.

Has anyone else experienced sudden increased engine temperature and/or similar debris in the oil?

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
61 Posts
When I had my Racer in for its 6,000 mile service I inquired about temperatures (was experiencing 280-290 degrees f). Was told not to worry: they regularly see temps over 300 when tracking their Rninet’s.

·
Registered
2015 BMW R Nine T “Classic” // 2017 BMW R1200 GSA // 1991 SUZUKI DR650 RS
46 Posts
Absolutely love my 2015 R Nine T, but BMW sure as hell 🤬 it up when it comes to some crucial information like fuel level, engine temperature, tire pressures…

·
Administrator
12,706 Posts
If it were me, I'd lodge your findings with your local BMW Motorrad dealer. Phone them first and ask them to officially record what you have found, then get an appointment to let them have a look at it. Even if they say its normal if you then have a engine failure outside warranty that can be traced to undue engine wear then you can point them back to your report within the warranty period, and hopefully any work will be done without cost to you.

I appreciate the hassle this might cause you and the fact that you aren't a fan of the dealer, but it just might be worth while in the long term.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
315 Posts
If it were me, I'd lodge your findings with your local BMW Motorrad dealer. Phone them first and ask them to officially record what you have found, then get an appointment to let them have a look at it. Even if they say its normal if you then have a engine failure outside warranty that can be traced to undue engine wear then you can point them back to your report within the warranty period, and hopefully any work will be done without cost to you.

I appreciate the hassle this might cause you and the fact that you aren't a fan of the dealer, but it just might be worth while in the long term.
I agree with above advice, if there is a paper trail, the dealers will help. It also helps the mechanic when servicing the bike if he has intimate knowledge of issues and concerns. Every owner and his bike behave diffrently and we know our own bikes best. We cannot expect a mechanic to be as familiar with a bike if he sees it once a year and there are no complaints.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yet to read everything in this thread but have looked at the first few and couple of the last. I don't know if my knew (to me) Racer has this issue or not, but having some Guzzis one in particular runs very hot and overheats in city traffic within a few miles.

What intrigues me and what I just thought I'd put up here for comment on is the obvious realtionship between pressure and temp. It may not be an issue with the BMWs I don't know but with the Guzzis it has quite an impact. I'm referring to sump temp, once oil reaches 115-120C oil pressure starts to really drop through the floor with the Guzzi. The Guzzis run a positive displacement gear pump system.

When in clear air on my "Red Headed Guzzi Step Child" pressure is around 60psi, temp around 105-110C I'd guess. When in traffic that will quickly hit 120 sometimes 130C, oil pressure at idle is around 5psi at that point (bringing on the oil pressure warning at idle) and the 60psi I'd see at 2k RPM and above will be in the low 30s. Usually before that I'd pull off to let it cool down, which takes some time.

I run a full synth 15/50 Motul 300V (20/50 is recommended grade for the bike).

My point is if sump temps are getting to 120+ and the temp viscosity relationship with oil being logarithmic not linear, I wonder what oil pressure these hot engines are running at? The reason I know in the Guzzis is all three of them have pressure gauges and a sump dipstick that has gauge on the top, similar to one shown earlier in the thread for the BMWs.

All I'm trying to get across is heat in itself might not be the only issue, it will certainly not help oil pressure either, but as of now I have no clue what pressure BMW boxer engines run at

141 - 154 of 154 Posts