BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the tital say's all racer owners now have my biggest respect, I took my gs to be serviced today and was given a racer as a lone bike. Dear god how people own and ride these I do not know, at no point should your arse be higher than your elbows I longed for traffic so I could sit up and stretch. The one thing I did notice was how hot the engine seemed to get and that it was cooking my left boot, not sure if this helps it get through the new emissions laws as my 2015 9t gets no were near as hot.
Now to go and book a chiropractor to sort out my back:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::bowing:

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's not a bike you take out for 20 minutes and fall in love.
After 1200 miles, I'm in love.
Took the Harley out today for 150 miles. No comparison.
Tomorrow it's BMW!

·
Registered
292 Posts
First time I rode a Racer was when my Scrambler was in for its first service - got as far as the end of the road before my hip starting aching. by the time I got back decided the bike was wonderful, in a very single-focussed way, but definitely not for me. 6 months later I decided to try one again - decided life's too short to spend it riding worth but slightly dull bikes (sorry Scrambler owners!) or bikes which are rather boring because every other rider has one (sorry GS owners - myself included!).
After 4000 miles I love riding the Racer - yes it is challenging and not always comfortable or easy but is it worth it? Absolutely - for those of us of a certain age it is exactly how we imagined riding a bike would be (have not ridden my GS for weeks now....)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't understand why some people moan so much about this. Are we all s bunch of geriatrics. I mean it's called the racer, so I ask the OP, WTF DID YOU EXPECT

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just my personal opinion and that Nick Sanders chap.
Sitting bolt upright on a adventure style bike and traveling long distances is not the best stance for your spine and coccyx.
That straight line piles the pressure on the base of your spine and makes you look like a motorcycle outrider for some important dignitary.
When Mr Sanders rode around the world on a Yamaha R1 he explained how the foetal position is the most comfortable way to travel on two wheels.
I feel he as a valid point I was super comfortable on my bmw f800s my visits to the ciroprator only started when I chopped it in for a 1200gs and later triumph explorer.
Anything over 80 miles in the family car and my lower back starts to say enough.
So imho opinion it is hats off to GS riders for enduring there bikes.
Dispite my reservations yesterday I bit the bullet and purchased a racer after my 70 mile ride to the dealership on my xsr700 I took the racer out and within a mile my back pain had all but disappeared and my decision to buy was made.
The coming miles and months will see if I have made the correct decision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
pain

if you struggle on the first decent ride - it does get better. both my Paul Smart and Racer kill my arms /back /legs/ neck (most things) on the first ride of the year but second time out everything is loosened up a bit (or likes the Pain) and I just get on and enjoy it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Introduced to biking on 90s Ducatis the Racer is no worse. I am 54 and easily did 400 miles on mine over Easter. However, I admit that it took a few days to get used to the riding position. A bit of strengthening back and stomach muscles also helps a lot. A touring bike it's not but I've done a week-long ride on it with no drama.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put Helibars on my Racer. Totally changed the ergonomics of the bike. Best investment I have made for it. I can ride it all day long now. The stock clip-ons did suck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good man, I did the same with my racer a couple of months ago and it made a crap riding position into one of total control at all speeds on all roads, I could not recommend these bars highly enough. They are essential scratching equipment. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
IM 65 and have a few bikes but i love the Racer . It helps keep your core strength and unkinks my back. If i pinch a nerve in my back , which happens when i pick up a heavy load , i take a ride on the Racer or F4 MV and come back home later without and pain . You have to ride the Racer , not just sit on it . If you want a quiet cruise for the pensioners , then take another bike , but if you want to actually feel like you have ridden , try a Racer .

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree that you have to `ride` the racer, but, after 95 bikes over 50 plus years (and a full National road racing licence) I also believe that putting up with an aggressive racing position for no return is a dead end and suffering for the sake of suffering. The Helli bars are about 5 inches up and back, yet still compliment the aesthetics of the bike and after 2 hours of very fast back road scratching you can get off the machine unassisted! I hammer my Racer (average speed in the 80 - 90 mph area) and with these bars I am in total control at all times, where with the extreme clip-ons I never felt fully in control, especially in heavy traffic at low speeds. I have a ZXR 6 track bike with clip-ons and that is more usable than the Racer with clip-ons! I love my Racer, but, every bike is only a marketing exercise and as such can and should be altered to reflect the requirements of the owner and their style of riding. Life is far to short to accept a poor compromise and apparently you are dead an awfully long time :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Totally agree with you . Once you have set up a bike for your preferences , lever angles , lever distances , gear lever and brake lever positions , and handle bars if you can , the bike is more fun to ride and thats what its all about .
Use them more , there is only so much petrol left , lets enjoy it while we can . Not many kids getting into biking with all the laws and costs . When we where younger we made sacrifices to get bikes and gear so lets enjoy it .
Be safe .

·
Registered
319 Posts
echo sentiments on the Racer "growing" onto the rider. I hurt a few days, then it all went away and now I always feel natural on my Racer. What a great "crotch rocket." Snickety slick gearbox, sublime clutchless shifts, power everywhere on the tach, and a lovely cockpit view. Great stability at speed, yet I've also done well with it on twisty roads, properly hanging off the seat. Laying on the tank just feels right. Love riding my Racer. 6ft tall, 32in inseam. Standard "clip on" bars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts