BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,
Just wanted to ask a few questions. We’ve planned a four day bike trip round the south and south west of the uk for the end of July.
im a bit apprehensive because of the tubed tires on my bike. Is there anything you guys can advise to take incase of puncture that I can use roadside. Or ease my concerns in anyway.
Any other advice for essential items will be very much appreciated.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Evening all,
Just wanted to ask a few questions. We’ve planned a four day bike trip round the south and south west of the uk for the end of July.
im a bit apprehensive because of the tubed tires on my bike. Is there anything you guys can advise to take incase of puncture that I can use roadside. Or ease my concerns in anyway.
Any other advice for essential items will be very much appreciated.
Cheers!
I think most of us have gone through the same worries. If you’re an avid full time biker you’ll know what to carry but a short 4 day run ..I say nothing at all but a couple of pints of spare gas just in case. As tires go, especially a tubed tire ..a can of fix-a-flat tire inflator couldn’t hurt. Be advised it’s a temporary fix and the tire and tube should be replaced ASAP.

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
215 Posts
Hi there @Cfrankham; if your main concern is what to do in case of a puncture, would recommend you carry a couple of spare inner tubes such that you can hand these over to a workshop rather than relying on the workshop having them in stock. Being in the South and South West you'll probably be relatively close to a workshop, so having the AA / RAC / any local BMW Motorrad dealerships numbers handy in your phone won't hurt. Of course, you could always attempt to repair these yourself whilst out on the road however you would need some additional tools to break the bead on the tyre in order to get at the old tube and replace with a new one. There are some great tutorial videos on Youtube which can walk you through the process.

In terms of general prep for a trip, I use a checklist to try and minimise the chances of forgetting anything important. Being in the UK, a good pair of waterproofs are essential; I have a light kagool and overtrousers to put over my standard kit, the former being a bright colour to make you more visible to other road users in poor weather conditions. Then add first aid kit, high visibility vest, spare luggage straps/cargo net, a torch, spare bulbs (if applicable) and light tool kit for any temporary repairs which might be needed on the roadside. I also download a copy of the repair manual, insurance and other documentation on my phone rather than carry paper copies. Again, lots of good articles and features on Youtube available to help give you some ideas based on your individual requirements.

Of course the most important thing to 'pack' is a healthly attitude towards enjoying your adventure :) .

All the best mate, let us know how you get on and post a few photos too (y)

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
Good suggestions above already. I'd only add three things, off the top of my head:
  • External power bank for your phone. Chances are you won't need it, but if you got stuck on the roadside you might run your phone's battery down calling for service, being put on hold, waiting to talk to someone, then maybe having to call back a couple times to check on when the service or tow truck is supposed to arrive. (Yes, I've been there.)
  • Couple bottles of water and maybe some light snacks, so in case you break down you have some food and water.
  • Hat. In case you break down and have to work on your bike roadside, or wait for service, you need to shade your head from the sun if you're out in the open.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would say in addition to the practical recommendations from others, also stop worrying.

Whether or not you worry isn't going to change if you get a puncture. It's not like if you worry HARDER it'll change your odds. Anxiety is not the force.

So why waste that energy living in a world that isn't real? Be prepared and enjoy the here and now. Shits gonna happen, you're going to overcome it and this will make the adventure that more rich of a memory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In the sailing world we say you can fix it with a wrench + some duct tape. But I have no experience with duct tape on inner tubes.

On the serious side,
-a heavy duty bicycle inner tube patch plus a couple of co2 canisters will do the trick, in order for you to get to a workshop (compact). But if its a massive hole then no repair kit will work (to my knowledge, duct tape?) As sharp (pocket)knife comes in handy.
-Michelin sells those extra heavy duty inner tubes, and perhaps other manufacturers also (for the future)

Personally, I take with me as little as possible/nothing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Spare oil in a bottle if you need refill. Include anti-diarrhea pills in first aid kit. I don't know why but sometime during long trips...the worst thing is you have to stop in the middle of road to evacuate...if you are dressing rainsuit you are out of time...

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
699 Posts
Does anybody bother carrying spare fuel?
I take my multistrada touring around the UK with friends. Got very close to running out, but it's never actually happened.
Was thinking about a 1l fuel flask
But then thought about a small syphon tube instead as I'm always in a group?
Or just not bother and send someone to buy a can of fuel?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,893 Posts
I take my multistrada touring around the UK with friends. Got very close to running out, but it's never actually happened.
@Ian_H - check my post here for an incredibottle.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
I haven't used them yet because I've not yet done a big trip. But I bought two small aluminum fuel canisters I'll carry with me on trips. The total between the two is about half a gallon US, and I hope never to need them, but that should get me to a gas station if I ever run out on the road.

I also carry a siphon hose, just in case it's needed by me or another rider.

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
215 Posts
Just been reminded of the words of a famous philosopher; applies very much to the theme of this thread:

Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the bare necessities of life

Baloo the Bear, Jungle Book

1 - 13 of 13 Posts