BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellows,

So I finally got my new Racer!
I apologize for not having a picture at the moment... promise to rectify that in the next couple of days!:p

Anyway, I would like to give you my very initial thoughts, so just take them with a grain of salt since these are my very first impressions and will probably mute or change with time.

I took a big risk by taking the plunge without testing it or even sit on one (there was none available at the time in the all country) and I´m very happy I did!

The first day I took it from the dealer, for about 40 kms, with some heavy traffic at some sections of the way and after over one hour of travel I was perfectly fine, without any pain or discomfort at all. I´m not a fit guy and I´m also 43, so this was a nice surprise after all I have read.

What concerned me a little was that in that first ride, the temperature rose to 130ºC under heavy traffic and considering the weather was rainier than anything else, I got a little concerned. I know I´m no used to air refrigeration but still that is kind of hot especially if I consider that the maximum that the display will show will be around 143ºC.

I took it since twice to work, and that is around 10 Km per ride, and it still got to 110 / 115ºC max with little traffic. I still think it is a little on the high side, but guess could be normal especially in the breaking period?

Besides that, I´m very happy with my first impressions. I was very surprised by the engine and exhaust sound. Louder than I expected, but I like especially the bass notes and the sound it makes in the first 3 gears when accelerating.

One thing that I was expecting (which I love) were the pops when deaccelerating but to be fair that has been quite disappointing in these first impressions. I had the idea it was one of the engine characteristics, as stock, but the lack of it is puzzling me. Will it come later on, after breaking the engine? Do I have to make any change in the bike to evidentiate those? Not sure what I´m missing here.

But everything else has been a true joy in my short experience. I have read a lot about the suspension complaints and I must admit that I have used some good roads in the last few days, so I have had no complaints at all in that department but future will tell.

One of my first changes to the bike was going to be the tail tidy but this is what I have witnessed in my short experience, mostly under rain. I don´t have a back fender and still I´m totally dry after every ride. I realized that most of the water / dirt were going in the suspension section. I concluded that the most efficient protection for the purpose is the stock tail! Nothing comes up of it! Sure it is ugly, but never expected it to be so efficient. Considering that I use my bike every day, all winter long, I´m not so sure if I want to remove it now, at least until next spring!

I will keep giving you my impressions as time goes by and I get more quality time with my baby!

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's a boxer. They get hot.

I've been stuck in city traffic and seen my temp rise to 285ºF. No problems yet (only at 10k miles). If it is hot-hot-hot and you know you're going to be sitting for a while, just shut the engine off. The wear and tear on the starter will be cheaper than the damage from super hot and thinned oil. Temperature management is not really an issue with this engine, but it needs air flow to cool the oil radiator.

Just make sure you change your oil sooner rather than later if you are going to be running a hot engine often, and make sure you're topped up on oil (according to the service manual) since it is used not just as a lubricant, but also to transfer heat. Less oil, means less time to cool in the radiator before cycling back into the engine.

There are products that will shield the rear shock from spray as well. You could combine a tire-hugger fender/plate holder along with a tail tidy to solve the rooster tail issue.

Be safe!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi! Nice with another racer guy😀
To get some nice pops you can get rid of the exhaust flapper/butterfly valve. I love the sound on my bike after that.
Br,
Martin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello guys,

Thank you for your answers. Will follow the advices for sure!

Regarding the flapper removal, after much reading I had the impression that the pops would disappear without it. Interesting that you are stating otherwise.

Cheers guys!.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello guys,

Thank you for your answers. Will follow the advices for sure!

Regarding the flapper removal, after much reading I had the impression that the pops would disappear without it. Interesting that you are stating otherwise.

Cheers guys!.
I got a lot more pops after. Also the engine brake is improved. It’s more lean and not so hard after.
Br

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a lot more pops after. Also the engine brake is improved. It’s more lean and not so hard after.
Br
Thank you for you feedback. I was not thinking of removing it but I guess I have to rethink it again. Just want to ask you if these are your impressions with stock headers and exhaust or did you already had something changed before removing the flapper.

Cheers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
  1. Thank you for you feedback. I was not thinking of removing it but I guess I have to rethink it again. Just want to ask you if these are your impressions with stock headers and exhaust or did you already had something changed before removing the flapper.

Cheers.
    Everything else on exhaust is stock.

2. Br

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congradulations from another Racer owner . Glad you are loving it . I have kept my exhaust stock , but only because will the flapper working i can sneak out early in the morning for rides without waking my wife or neighbours . I love the sound and especially how it changes when the flapper opens , feels like im back on a two stroke , but it had power all the way . Loving it on curvy roads where you can leave it in a gear and get the most precise lines and corner like a champ . Surprize many 'sportbikes' on the roads around here with this ' old school' air cooled bike .
ps - your english is way better than my portuguese !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congradulations from another Racer owner . Glad you are loving it . I have kept my exhaust stock , but only because will the flapper working i can sneak out early in the morning for rides without waking my wife or neighbours . I love the sound and especially how it changes when the flapper opens , feels like im back on a two stroke , but it had power all the way . Loving it on curvy roads where you can leave it in a gear and get the most precise lines and corner like a champ . Surprize many 'sportbikes' on the roads around here with this ' old school' air cooled bike .
ps - your english is way better than my portuguese !
Thank you my friend! I recognize that english is more Universal than Portuguese :p
I think at some point I´m just going to try without the flapper to understand which version I prefer. I have read some mixed feedback so I guess it all comes down to personal choice. Also waiting to understand from my dealer if I could do it without voiding the warranty. So despite what I may prefer, it all comes down to it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
that also depends on the dealer .the r nine range was meant to be customized and changed individually to what you like . but some dealers are more rigid than others . i like the front light with the little bmw logo but wanted more light . but not a lightshow like a gs/ construction truck with orange lights looking like a christmas tree , so i changed my globe to a led that is much more noticable . has to put a resistor box in to cancel the warning light . tucked it all away neatly so as not to upset my motorrad dealers .
put a few bits on that i had hydroflo done to look like carbon . also 'modified' my number plate to make it more 'aerodynamic' at speed . it is more difficult to see at speed so that is a bonus .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts