BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Premium Member
First pic of my brand new 719 馃榿 Picked up today from dealership and enjoyed every minute of the 120 mile ride home. Think it might take a few more outings to get used to her after jumping straight off a Harley Road King but I shall enjoy learning to ride properly again 馃榿 View attachment 156533
OK 鈥 ride for a bit and then give us a detailed description of the up and downs compared to your HD 鈥
Beautiful Ride by the way 鈥. I鈥檒l bet that 120 miles flew by in no time. Your just beginning to open an epic new chapter in your moto-history book Sir. Keep us up with your experience please鈥 picts and such.
Welcome to where 9T are abundant and friendly too. StayUpOn2 @Doppleganger 鈥︹︹︹︹litz

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK 鈥 ride for a bit and then give us a detailed description of the up and downs compared to your HD 鈥
Beautiful Ride by the way 鈥. I鈥檒l bet that 120 miles flew by in no time. Your just beginning to open an epic new chapter in your moto-history book Sir. Keep us up with your experience please鈥 picts and such.
Welcome to where 9T are abundant and friendly too. StayUpOn2 @Doppleganger 鈥︹︹︹︹litz
Thanks Blitz, yes I will definitely post a full review between my old HD and the R nineT once I have got a few good miles on the clock and of course am over the excitement of getting a new motor :cool:

Premium Member
Thanks Blitz, yes I will definitely post a full review between my old HD and the R nineT once I have got a few good miles on the clock and of course am over the excitement of getting a new motor :cool:
I have a feeling you post will become very popular in this forum 鈥. I look forward to it.

Registered
First pic of my brand new 719 馃榿 Picked up today from dealership and enjoyed every minute of the 120 mile ride home. Think it might take a few more outings to get used to her after jumping straight off a Harley Road King but I shall enjoy learning to ride properly again 馃榿 View attachment 156533
Nice!

Premium Member
OK @Doppleganger 鈥 you鈥檝e had a bit of time now to 鈥渕ind-meld鈥 with your new 9T 鈥 I鈥檓 anxious to hear your review when compared to your HD 鈥 鈥nd I鈥檒l be honest.. I don鈥檛 particularly favor HD鈥檚 鈥 no V-twin impresses me 鈥 after my first drive shaft motorcycles ..(Guzi/Beemer).. I realized I鈥檇 never go back to a chain 鈥 well except trial and trail bikes. I鈥檝e bought my last spray can of chain lube. Anyway 鈥︹︹︹. What鈥檚 your take. HD makes some really beautiful bikes and if that beauty in any way translated into performance or handeling I鈥檇 probably still own one 鈥 but it doesn鈥檛 translate .. at all ! Not for me. They are a big 鈥渢o-do鈥 about nothing at all鈥 Coast2Coast on a Loud 鈥淟azy-Boy Recliner鈥 ? Then HD is for you 鈥 they are beautiful machines to behold鈥 but not to ride in anything other than a straight line ..鈥 beautiful 鈥specially when parked鈥︹︹︹︹︹︹︹ Blitz (Don鈥檛 you just 鉂Love your 馃挭馃徏Boxer?)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK @Doppleganger 鈥 you鈥檝e had a bit of time now to 鈥渕ind-meld鈥 with your new 9T 鈥 I鈥檓 anxious to hear your review when compared to your HD 鈥 鈥nd I鈥檒l be honest.. I don鈥檛 particularly favor HD鈥檚 鈥 no V-twin impresses me 鈥 after my first drive shaft motorcycles ..(Guzi/Beemer).. I realized I鈥檇 never go back to a chain 鈥 well except trial and trail bikes. I鈥檝e bought my last spray can of chain lube. Anyway 鈥︹︹︹. What鈥檚 your take. HD makes some really beautiful bikes and if that beauty in any way translated into performance or handeling I鈥檇 probably still own one 鈥 but it doesn鈥檛 translate .. at all ! Not for me. They are a big 鈥渢o-do鈥 about nothing at all鈥 Coast2Coast on a Loud 鈥淟azy-Boy Recliner鈥 ? Then HD is for you 鈥 they are beautiful machines to behold鈥 but not to ride in anything other than a straight line ..鈥 beautiful 鈥specially when parked鈥︹︹︹︹︹︹︹ Blitz (Don鈥檛 you just 鉂Love your 馃挭馃徏Boxer?)
Blitz, hope you are well mate and thanks for reminding me to do my review :) so sit back, kick off the boots and poor yourselves a cold one. Here goes....

Now I've had motorcycles since I was sweet sixteen (I was lovely back then PMSL) but I will focus on the last 10 years of riding Harley Davidsons in comparison to my newly acquired R nineT 719 option pictured above.
So in last 10 years I've had 3 Harleys, a 48 sportster, a Fat Bob and lastly the Road King Special, last years trip to the NEC and National Motorcycle Show in Birmingham was for me the end of my Harley days. Not one single bike there took my eye (apart from my already owned RKS) and it seemed to me like HD had gone totally the opposite from classic looking machines to producing some sort of WOKE space age crotch rocket drawing clientele motorcycles.
My last road trip through the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and France earlier this year made me realise that although riding the RKS gave me the 'cool' factor it was no longer enjoyable to ride on the roads and passes which I love so much, the grin factor of HD was gone and I was left with the reality of hauling a 57 stone monster round hairpin bends and having to plan in advance parking the damn thing up so I would be able to move it after any stops. As Blitz says armchair cruising on freeways / motorways ( I will come back to this later) and a cool badge on the tank was all that was left. It was time to sell up and move on to something that would light up my riding career again and make everything good in the world, ENTER THE R NINET :cool:
The day I went to pick up my new Beemer I was concerned as to whether I was doing the right thing, would my touring days be over? Would I like the riding position? Would it be comfortable for any length of time? But after struggling and sweating like a Fiat on MOT day getting the RKS out of the garage and turning it around, I was convinced the right decision was made. The 120 mile ride to the BMW dealership also confirmed my correct decision as I remembered how my back hurt so much riding it even after multiple mods to try to make it fully comfortable.
After collecting the R nineT it was the 120 mile ride back home, first 30 miles I thought shit what have I done, couldn't find the gear shift and all over the road, but OMG once had settled in I finally had the ear to ear grin from motorcycling back on my face. I have done 2 modifications so far to her, I added Voigt MT risers and a Sargent seat and let me tell you it has changed my world. All day comfort riding and no HD lower back pain. I have also added SW Motech Legend Bags and a Kriega 30l tail bag so hopefully the touring can continue.
I love the look of this bike, the retro styling makes it in my opinion cooler than any HD on the market today, so absolutely no loss of 'cool factor' :cool:
Now below the points for R nineT vs HD
With Harley Davidson your paying premium for the name and lifestyle
Suspension on the RKS was none existent
Brakes on the RKS had to send a telegram to warn it i needed to stop
Even for a 'Road King' I couldn't ride more than 100 miles without a break due to back pain even after multiple mods
Harley D handled like an ocean liner compared to a go-kart like the BMW
HD unmanageable in tight spaces or mountain passes like the Furka and Stelvio ( I know some will say maybe it was my riding ability but if you do then be totally honest with yourselves and ask if you really really enjoyed taking your Harley round those roads I already know the answer :) )
All of the above have now be addressed with the purchase of the R nineT and just 2 mods (so far) I'm hoping that the touring side of things will be good too as that would be my only good attribute to the RKS and having plenty of luggage capacity.
All in all buying the R nineT has given me a new lease of life and I've gone from making excuses to get the RKS out of the garage to go for a ride to being out on the Beemer at every opportunity, I admit I am literally having to learn how to ride properly all over again after sitting on that carthorse sofa for so long. I hope I've not offended any HD owners on here but the R nineT compared to the HD RKS is like chalk and cheese, I'm finally back in love with my two wheeled partner, thank you BMW R nineT for making it so :)

THE END :)

Premium Member
Blitz, hope you are well mate and thanks for reminding me to do my review :) so sit back, kick off the boots and poor yourselves a cold one. Here goes....

Now I've had motorcycles since I was sweet sixteen (I was lovely back then PMSL) but I will focus on the last 10 years of riding Harley Davidsons in comparison to my newly acquired R nineT 719 option pictured above.
So in last 10 years I've had 3 Harleys, a 48 sportster, a Fat Bob and lastly the Road King Special, last years trip to the NEC and National Motorcycle Show in Birmingham was for me the end of my Harley days. Not one single bike there took my eye (apart from my already owned RKS) and it seemed to me like HD had gone totally the opposite from classic looking machines to producing some sort of WOKE space age crotch rocket drawing clientele motorcycles.
My last road trip through the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and France earlier this year made me realise that although riding the RKS gave me the 'cool' factor it was no longer enjoyable to ride on the roads and passes which I love so much, the grin factor of HD was gone and I was left with the reality of hauling a 57 stone monster round hairpin bends and having to plan in advance parking the damn thing up so I would be able to move it after any stops. As Blitz says armchair cruising on freeways / motorways ( I will come back to this later) and a cool badge on the tank was all that was left. It was time to sell up and move on to something that would light up my riding career again and make everything good in the world, ENTER THE R NINET :cool:
The day I went to pick up my new Beemer I was concerned as to whether I was doing the right thing, would my touring days be over? Would I like the riding position? Would it be comfortable for any length of time? But after struggling and sweating like a Fiat on MOT day getting the RKS out of the garage and turning it around, I was convinced the right decision was made. The 120 mile ride to the BMW dealership also confirmed my correct decision as I remembered how my back hurt so much riding it even after multiple mods to try to make it fully comfortable.
After collecting the R nineT it was the 120 mile ride back home, first 30 miles I thought shit what have I done, couldn't find the gear shift and all over the road, but OMG once had settled in I finally had the ear to ear grin from motorcycling back on my face. I have done 2 modifications so far to her, I added Voigt MT risers and a Sargent seat and let me tell you it has changed my world. All day comfort riding and no HD lower back pain. I have also added SW Motech Legend Bags and a Kriega 30l tail bag so hopefully the touring can continue.
I love the look of this bike, the retro styling makes it in my opinion cooler than any HD on the market today, so absolutely no loss of 'cool factor' :cool:
Now below the points for R nineT vs HD
With Harley Davidson your paying premium for the name and lifestyle
Suspension on the RKS was none existent
Brakes on the RKS had to send a telegram to warn it i needed to stop
Even for a 'Road King' I couldn't ride more than 100 miles without a break due to back pain even after multiple mods
Harley D handled like an ocean liner compared to a go-kart like the BMW
HD unmanageable in tight spaces or mountain passes like the Furka and Stelvio ( I know some will say maybe it was my riding ability but if you do then be totally honest with yourselves and ask if you really really enjoyed taking your Harley round those roads I already know the answer :) )
All of the above have now be addressed with the purchase of the R nineT and just 2 mods (so far) I'm hoping that the touring side of things will be good too as that would be my only good attribute to the RKS and having plenty of luggage capacity.
All in all buying the R nineT has given me a new lease of life and I've gone from making excuses to get the RKS out of the garage to go for a ride to being out on the Beemer at every opportunity, I admit I am literally having to learn how to ride properly all over again after sitting on that carthorse sofa for so long. I hope I've not offended any HD owners on here but the R nineT compared to the HD RKS is like chalk and cheese, I'm finally back in love with my two wheeled partner, thank you BMW R nineT for making it so :)

THE END :)
@Doppleganger I knew it! 鈥 I didn鈥檛 want my prejudice to overwhelm my respect for HD鈥檚 accomplishments over the years. Before Hollywood pumped up HD鈥檚 ego like the Michelin tire guy, HD was quite a motorcycle. Until AMF got involved, until Peter Fonda rode into the night 鈥 until many major business decisions were miss-handled and control of the company was lost by those who built it did HD start down the road of oblivion. Stubborn Americans just won鈥檛 let it go 鈥 it鈥檚 a dead horse and still they beat it in desperation. So many HD riders give me this crap about 鈥渕ade-in-America鈥 sh*t 鈥 it鈥檚 such a crock! 鈥nd when you prove it to them the get all huffy and angry. HD people ride a reputation not a motorcycle, and the reputation was not earned .. it was created by Hollywood .. it鈥檚 been a .. Loose/Loose .. situation from the beginning. When companies (many) produce high grade equipment .. BMW - TR鈥檚 - Ducks - Guzzi - on and on, HD鈥檚 slip further down the drain.
The day of the V-Twin is dead 鈥 loud, lovely, lumbering thumper will be quietly replaced with an almost silent electric motor .. lighter, faster, torque鈥檙 鈥. A whole New Generation UpOn2 ..Electrified.. I will miss the noise and smells of petro and rubber smoke 鈥 but honestly, for me, I won鈥檛 miss the HD鈥檚 鈥︹︹︹︹
鈥..Adios FatBoys 馃ぎ
I鈥檒l stick with motorcycles whose reputation was actually earned 鈥 and when we (Americans) figure out how it鈥檚 done 鈥 then I鈥檒l try an ALL American bike 鈥 until then I鈥檒l ride the machine that makes me, (as you say) 鈥済rin from ear to ear鈥 every time I get on it 鈥 no matter where it鈥檚 made. The secret is to StayUpOn2 no matter what 鈥. When I fall over at a street light and just can鈥檛 get up 鈥. I鈥檓 Done no matter what kind of bike I鈥檓 on !
Thanks for your time and expert opinions Doppleganger 鈥 your message is well received and I know appreciated by all, even the HD Boyz that are among us 鈥 BeWell Mate, Cheers 鈥︹︹litz

• Love
Reactions: Norbi
1 - 20 of 22 Posts