BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2021 R NineT Pure
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time rider and BMW R NineT Pure owner. I am instantly in love with riding "two wheeled therapy". I am so thankful my plans to get a Svartpilen 401 fell through. I literally love everything about this R NineT Pure, Except the limited single gauge information. I may be hooked on this bike forever! I did Order a Pro Race Shorty GP exhaust because a few screws snapped when I was removing them to take out the exhaust silencer baffles which I was super sad about. now my exhaust tips look jimmy rigged.. Ugh. But I think the new exhaust will look super clean anyway so hopefully a win.

· Registered
56 Posts
First time rider and BMW R NineT Pure owner. I am instantly in love with riding "two wheeled therapy". I am so thankful my plans to get a Svartpilen 401 fell through. I literally love everything about this R NineT Pure, Except the limited single gauge information. I may be hooked on this bike forever! I did Order a Pro Race Shorty GP exhaust because a few screws snapped when I was removing them to take out the exhaust silencer baffles which I was super sad about. now my exhaust tips look jimmy rigged.. Ugh. But I think the new exhaust will look super clean anyway so hopefully a win.
Hi and welcome. Good colour choice. Single gauge is no problem. Gives you more time to enjoy the ride. (y)

· Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,588 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. 👋

Reactions: MulletEagle

· Premium Member
2022 Pure
106 Posts
Congrats on the bike! You can buy the bracket and tachometer that gives you additional info like MPG, gear indicator, etc from BMW for $750. It's already wired for the second gauge tucked under the tank and it's plug in play. I did it for my Pure and it was definitely worth it. Enjoy!

· Registered
2021 R NineT Pure
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi and welcome. Good colour choice. Single gauge is no problem. Gives you more time to enjoy the ride. (y)
No biased view point whatsoever. LOL. Yes and the color in pictures does not do it justice! I almost didnt even look at the bike due to the dealer low quality pictures. Walked in, Saw it and purchased it the same day. I am 100% Satisfied with my choice. I prefer the look of the single gauge so I may one day upgrade to the digital gauge I saw on another thread. But for now my money is going into other things like exhaust to make it a little obnoxious.

· Registered
101 Posts
Welcome from NYC. It is a great bike but I felt the same about the single gauge design. R9T designers likely decided upon this aspect of the bike over a few Lagers too many. The tech is available for adapting into round a retro look; R1250R has it all including the fuel gauge.

I added a BMW tachometer. It offers a bit more information (thanks to a second LCD) but nothing much (nor really useful). I think the bike looks better with two gauges but that is a personal preference.

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
No biased view point whatsoever. LOL. Yes and the color in pictures does not do it justice! I almost didnt even look at the bike due to the dealer low quality pictures. Walked in, Saw it and purchased it the same day. I am 100% Satisfied with my choice. I prefer the look of the single gauge so I may one day upgrade to the digital gauge I saw on another thread. But for now my money is going into other things like exhaust to make it a little obnoxious.
I love your attitude, and your articulation but I gotta warn you that I got in trouble using the word obnoxious on this forum ..so be careful … seems some of our more sensitive riders were upset with my choice of words but then never had time to get back to me about … well what ever it was that was bothering them in the first place …. I can’t remember right now so it must have been epic. ………… Blitz

· Registered
2021 R NineT Pure
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love your attitude, and your articulation but I gotta warn you that I got in trouble using the word obnoxious on this forum ..so be careful … seems some of our more sensitive riders were upset with my choice of words but then never had time to get back to me about … well what ever it was that was bothering them in the first place …. I can’t remember right now so it must have been epic. ………… Blitz
That is a strange word to be targeted for. It bleeped out a word I tried to use when I first posted it. Obviously I can’t say what it is because it is censored. So strange the times we live in. But man oh man am I happy to spend my time on my R nineT without a care in the world, and the companionship of the boxer!!!

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
That is a strange word to be targeted for. It bleeped out a word I tried to use when I first posted it. Obviously I can’t say what it is because it is censored. So strange the times we live in. But man oh man am I happy to spend my time on my R nineT without a care in the world, and the companionship of the boxer!!!
The story is true MEagle, but not as dramatic as I was playing it up to be …. It was a no—biggie really. I was using the opportunity to tug on someone’s leg playfully …. Thanks for your word choice, it probably won’t come up again in a hundred years …. I love that word !
Sounds like a love affair with your bike… like the one I’ve been having the past 7 years … it just gets better when a nice machine can give you what your asking for with a simple “TwistOfTheWrist” …… StayUpOn2 and enjoy your new ride @MulletEagle ……………………………Blitz

· Registered
848 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Good choice of bike, however, I'd strongly suggest that rather than spending money to make more noise and likely lose some useable power that you spend money on the bike's suspension front and rear, that is the major shortcoming on the bike.
OK … ✌🏻OutBlitz to VagueOut ….. there truly is an equation that relates power to noise …. You kinda got it backwards … ever been to a quiet space launch, ever heard a whisper of a drag race, ever hear a quiet Formula 1 car or a quiet jet airplane … how about a rail-road train … ? … all obey the same rules of physics when burning petrol for power…. If quiet was powerful the bikes that enter each year in the Isle of Man TT would be perfectly silent and all you’d hear was rubber on concrete. I get that you like a quiet bike … but the power argument doesn’t float mate. Put it on a dyno and tune to the optimum performance, ….not the local law …and what do have …. ? What ever it is it’s going to be loud …. You can’t argue that. …. quote “likely lose some useable power” where did you get that one …. Come on mate …. That’s a lame claim …. You never saw anyone increase the horsepower of a petrol engine that it didn’t get a bit louder ….. Perhaps your right that his money could be spent differently but your a bit wrong about the rest …… ( You probably guessed .. I like’em loud as hell ) Big Powerful large displacement engines weren’t intended to be quiet … in fact they weren’t intended to be so noisy either .. but they are ! I wonder why they are ? 🤔 Maybe power from petrol comes with noise, it’s a package deal…. 👍🏻
Remember …. Ear Plugs are cheap and unlike restrictions on exhaust systems of ANY kind they don’t choke off a few horse power for a few decibels …….. zoom zoom …. Run you ride at what ever noise level suites you mate … but quiet does not equate as powerful … maybe more polite … but the power angle is BS. It’s not personal just simple physics ….. internal petroleum combustion is powerful …. And loud !. The bigger the volume or displacement the louder it gets. If you want real loud try out a rotary or Wankel … OMG ! and I thought I was loud …. That is loud …. amazing amounts of horse power, RPM’s galore, very few moving parts, tiny engines … but insanely loud.. and the moment you restrict the noise (with back pressure) from muffling the horse power goes out the window … read up on a fella named Mohler .. he started developing a flying car over 40 years ago and was built around double stacked rotary engines. This was before electric anything … he did extensive development of the rotary and got amazing amounts power per pound from them but found that the noise was never going to be acceptable to the general public … he went belly-up when electrical flight began to develop (almost silent) …. Anyway, it’s an interesting read … and all about noise too. It was his Achilles heal … he couldn’t make it quiet quick enough. …………………..
PeaceOut ✌🏻 @vagueout ………….. Blitz
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Racing Car
This was Mohlers flying car many years ago

· Registered
519 Posts
OK … ✌🏻OutBlitz to VagueOut ….. there truly is an equation that relates power to noise …. You kinda got it backwards … ever been to a quiet space launch, ever heard a whisper of a drag race, ever hear a quiet Formula 1 car or a quiet jet airplane … how about a rail-road train … ? … all obey the same rules of physics when burning petrol for power…. If quiet was powerful the bikes that enter each year in the Isle of Man TT would be perfectly silent and all you’d hear was rubber on concrete. I get that you like a quiet bike … but the power argument doesn’t float mate. Put it on a dyno and tune to the optimum performance, ….not the local law …and what do have …. ? What ever it is it’s going to be loud …. You can’t argue that. …. quote “likely lose some useable power” where did you get that one …. Come on mate …. That’s a lame claim …. You never saw anyone increase the horsepower of a petrol engine that it didn’t get a bit louder ….. Perhaps your right that his money could be spent differently but your a bit wrong about the rest …… ( You probably guessed .. I like’em loud as hell ) Big Powerful large displacement engines weren’t intended to be quiet … in fact they weren’t intended to be so noisy either .. but they are ! I wonder why they are ? 🤔 Maybe power from petrol comes with noise, it’s a package deal…. 👍🏻
Remember …. Ear Plugs are cheap and unlike restrictions on exhaust systems of ANY kind they don’t choke off a few horse power for a few decibels …….. zoom zoom …. Run you ride at what ever noise level suites you mate … but quiet does not equate as powerful … maybe more polite … but the power angle is BS. It’s not personal just simple physics ….. internal petroleum combustion is powerful …. And loud !. The bigger the volume or displacement the louder it gets. If you want real loud try out a rotary or Wankel … OMG ! and I thought I was loud …. That is loud …. amazing amounts of horse power, RPM’s galore, very few moving parts, tiny engines … but insanely loud.. and the moment you restrict the noise (with back pressure) from muffling the horse power goes out the window … read up on a fella named Mohler .. he started developing a flying car over 40 years ago and was built around double stacked rotary engines. This was before electric anything … he did extensive development of the rotary and got amazing amounts power per pound from them but found that the noise was never going to be acceptable to the general public … he went belly-up when electrical flight began to develop (almost silent) …. Anyway, it’s an interesting read … and all about noise too. It was his Achilles heal … he couldn’t make it quiet quick enough. …………………..
PeaceOut ✌🏻 @vagueout ………….. Blitz
I think you may have missed the words "useable power" in my response. Granted if he was riding the bike at the upper rev ranges then the loud aftermarket exhausts come into play, however in day to day scenario's and rev ranges he's actually losing power, i.e. below 5,000rpm. They are a very loud bike as standard, however, that was not the main point of my initial response, I was really trying to adress the lousy harsh Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motorcycle Helmet
standard suspension, changing that makes the bike far sportier, more confidence inspiring, safer and comfortable. I am under the impression that MulletRider is new to motorcycling and perhaps a little green as to what makes the bike "better". If I am correct in my assumption that he is a novice, I'd strongly suggest he invests in a copy of. Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 11 and perhaps a copy of Lee Park's Total Control, get some milage and then go for the look at me exhaust! Safe riding to all.:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts