BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the rear mudguard from a 2005 - 2007 R1200GS ( part 46 62 7 682 884) will bolt directly to a 2016 R Nine T with no modifications? I am thinking of getting a mudguard to convert to a tag holder.
Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
G'Day,

It can be done. I include a few pics with the hugger on.

You will also need to order the mounting hardware: a bracket (46627671618), a bush (46628543238) and some screws and washers. I found that the hugger touched the number plate when the suspension compressed over big bumps, and took it off in fear of it breaking. This was with the stock UGS suspension. I now have a Wilbers rear shock and will try fitting it again. The new shock is way better that the stock one and I think that it may not touch since the new suspension has compression adjustment. If that works, I'll update this thread. The UGS has slightly more clearance that a Classic, so check the clearance if you have a number plate in the standard position. I also tried spacing the numberplate further away from the bike with 5mm spacers, but that did not solve the issue. I also tried removing some of the excess plastic under the numberplate for additional clearance. In the first you can see the spaced out plate and "shorter" plastic.

It did help a bit for a cleaner back, but not much as the R9T rear tire is slightly wider that the GS and sticks out on the left side.

Cheers, Pete
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2018 R9T Classic
13 Posts
Thanks Pete, very helpful.

G'Day,

It can be done. I include a few pics with the hugger on.

You will also need to order the mounting hardware: a bracket (46627671618), a bush (46628543238) and some screws and washers. I found that the hugger touched the number plate when the suspension compressed over big bumps, and took it off in fear of it breaking. This was with the stock UGS suspension. I now have a Wilbers rear shock and will try fitting it again. The new shock is way better that the stock one and I think that it may not touch since the new suspension has compression adjustment. If that works, I'll update this thread. The UGS has slightly more clearance that a Classic, so check the clearance if you have a number plate in the standard position. I also tried spacing the numberplate further away from the bike with 5mm spacers, but that did not solve the issue. I also tried removing some of the excess plastic under the numberplate for additional clearance. In the first you can see the spaced out plate and "shorter" plastic.

It did help a bit for a cleaner back, but not much as the R9T rear tire is slightly wider that the GS and sticks out on the left side.

Cheers, Pete
View attachment 155445
View attachment 155444

View attachment 155447
View attachment 155446

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,277 Posts
It will work. The stock license plate might touch a little bit. You can shave some of the bulk of the stock rear plate holder.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found this thread:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts