BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler and 2020 1250 GSA
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I’d do a quick post on this since I’m sure it’ll come up more and more as the ‘21s start hitting the road.

Simply replacing the flapper w a link pipe isn’t really an option on the new bikes since it is welded into the pipe now on the Cat side. There is also a third O2 sensor in the Cat on the Euro5 bikes that needs to be dealt with too.
To the best of my knowledge, Unit Garage has the only option currently for solving this problem and it is, as they said, “quite simple”!
Unfortunately it requires a whole new exhaust and header system but it’s totally worth it IMO!

The third sensor now goes in the flapper delete link pipe and appears to completely solve the problem. I have a few hundred miles on mine and so far no error codes or issues.
I left the flapper servo connected and on the bike but just removed the cables from it.
Admins if this is too redundant to my last post regarding system install then go ahead and remove it but I thought it helpful to provide as much info as possible. This mod is a game changer on the Euro5 bikes!!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I just switched mine out today and I’m so happy I did, super easy work and I think it sounds a ton better than the full titanium Akra system I had on my old bike (I went for the stainless Unit Garage header).

One thing I’ll point out is that you don’t “need” a new exhaust, although I’m sure you save a ton of weight with the aftermarket can. But I used the stock cans on the Unit Garage headers and it was a perfect fit and actually sounds quite amazing — again, I think much better than the full Akra system, though YMMV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just switched mine out today and I’m so happy I did, super easy work and I think it sounds a ton better than the full titanium Akra system I had on my old bike (I went for the stainless Unit Garage header).

One thing I’ll point out is that you don’t “need” a new exhaust, although I’m sure you save a ton of weight with the aftermarket can. But I used the stock cans on the Unit Garage headers and it was a perfect fit and actually sounds quite amazing — again, I think much better than the full Akra system, though YMMV.

View attachment 142790
Glad to hear it went together well!
Hadn’t thought of using the stock cans w the Unit header so good job.
I agree it sounds A LOT better than the Akrapovic system and I think the quality is better as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts

View attachment 142790
Looking at a similar setup as yours: stainless Unit Garage with stock Akra cans. Is the part number you ordered “1617_21+1618_21”? Would appreciate your input. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Looking at a similar setup as yours: stainless Unit Garage with stock Akra cans. Is the part number you ordered “1617_21+1618_21”? Would appreciate your input. Thanks!
Hey man, pull the trigger. You’ll be happy you did. I’m not sure about the part number, but UG only sells two sets of headers for this bike, one in stainless steel and one in titanium. I went with the SS version.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Glad to hear it went together well!
Hadn’t thought of using the stock cans w the Unit header so good job.
I agree it sounds A LOT better than the Akrapovic system and I think the quality is better as well.
Do you mean that the unit garage ss header sounds better than the akra titanium header? I have been considering an akra ti header for my 2020. Is it because the titanium is thinner wall and sounds higher pitch / tinnier than the thicker wall ss?

Cheers, Dom

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Yes. IMO, having had many sets of Ti headers and SS headers for various ducatis, and one each on the R nineT, titanium sounds tinier and not as low and meaty as stainless steel. Of course, it could simply be a case of me hearing what I want or what I've read before -- a little bit of confirmation bias? But I do think the stainless headers sound deeper. And some people like more of a titanium brappp.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure on pry number but I’ll try to look it up.
I’d strongly recommend emailing Unit and asking. They are very responsive albeit u have to take into account the time change.
BTW when u order they specifically ask what year is your bike so they are sure to send the right part numbers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you mean that the unit garage ss header sounds better than the akra titanium header? I have been considering an akra ti header for my 2020. Is it because the titanium is thinner wall and sounds higher pitch / tinnier than the thicker wall ss?

Cheers, Dom
Can’t compare stainless to Ti but the Unit Ti is far away better sounding than the Akrapovic Ti system!!
No comparison and that’s w the baffles in both.
W/out baffles the Unit was too loud IMO.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Can’t compare stainless to Ti but the Unit Ti is far away better sounding than the Akrapovic Ti system!!
No comparison and that’s w the baffles in both.
W/out baffles the Unit was too loud IMO.
Just out of curiosity, how loud is the full UG system? Someone on here had arranged stock, Akra and UG — with and without DB killers — but I can’t find it now.

I’m thinking of putting the UG cans on the headers to complete the system, but I don’t want to get automatically arrested here in Berlin...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thought I’d do a quick post on this since I’m sure it’ll come up more and more as the ‘21s start hitting the road.

Simply replacing the flapper w a link pipe isn’t really an option on the new bikes since it is welded into the pipe now on the Cat side. There is also a third O2 sensor in the Cat on the Euro5 bikes that needs to be dealt with too.
To the best of my knowledge, Unit Garage has the only option currently for solving this problem and it is, as they said, “quite simple”!
Unfortunately it requires a whole new exhaust and header system but it’s totally worth it IMO!

The third sensor now goes in the flapper delete link pipe and appears to completely solve the problem. I have a few hundred miles on mine and so far no error codes or issues.
I left the flapper servo connected and on the bike but just removed the cables from it.
Admins if this is too redundant to my last post regarding system install then go ahead and remove it but I thought it helpful to provide as much info as possible. This mod is a game changer on the Euro5 bikes!!

View attachment 142788
Hi, is that mean if you want to remove the flapper, it required the whole new header system + slip on exhaust from Unit Garage ? for 2021 Rninet

·
Registered
47 Posts

View attachment 142790
So header from Unit Garage and the exhaust is just a OEM one ?

Interesting

But why you don't change the exhaust as well since you have paid for the header already.
With UG's exhaust, it would be more perfect, I guess.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I don't love the look of the UG exhaust that much and I don't want the titanium sound. I may use an aftermarket exhaust from Ixil -- the Ironhead -- which is also a couple of shorter pipes but they come out lower and not as far back, plus they are stainless steel rather than Ti. But to be honest, the stock exhaust is already loud as hell -- even with the DB killers still in -- now that I've removed the cat and the flapper with the UG headers. I'm not sure I could go much louder without getting arrested here, as the Germans are super serious about rules.

I also love the song ``Iron Head'' by Helmet, one of my favorite bands. Check it out:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't love the look of the UG exhaust that much and I don't want the titanium sound. I may use an aftermarket exhaust from Ixil -- the Ironhead -- which is also a couple of shorter pipes but they come out lower and not as far back, plus they are stainless steel rather than Ti. But to be honest, the stock exhaust is already loud as hell -- even with the DB killers still in -- now that I've removed the cat and the flapper with the UG headers. I'm not sure I could go much louder without getting arrested here, as the Germans are super serious about rules.

View attachment 142892

I also love the song ``Iron Head'' by Helmet, one of my favorite bands. Check it out:

This looks nice too.

If you have chance, please take a video for the sound of current exhaust (UG + AKRA).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just out of curiosity, how loud is the full UG system? Someone on here had arranged stock, Akra and UG — with and without DB killers — but I can’t find it now.

I’m thinking of putting the UG cans on the headers to complete the system, but I don’t want to get automatically arrested here in Berlin...
The full system without the baffle is too loud in my opinion. It’s still pretty loud w the baffle but I really like it. Not sure what the laws are there and sound is kinda objective.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, is that mean if you want to remove the flapper, it required the whole new header system + slip on exhaust from Unit Garage ? for 2021 Rninet
Yes it is welded to the catalytic converter. I suppose u could cut it off and replace w a link pipe but that seems kinda hinky.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

To be clear, the full UG system is MUCH louder than the stock Akra system on my Scrambler!
That’s with baffles in both systems.
If u think the stock exhaust is loud then I don’t think u will be happy with the UG cans.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts