BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few times in the past 4 years, probably no more than 5 times, I've noticed what looks like a small fluid leak from under the chest plate. The fluid looks like it's coming out the bottom of the plate but also out of both sides about 8 inches from the bottom and all the way down. Taking the plate off shows the inside of the plate and the front of the engine to be coated in a very, very thin layer of oil, nothing that would usually be worrying. It's not sufficient to even register on the sight glass.

This has only happened in very hot weather, on long rides at speed, usually when I've been using a motorway. Last time was in France coming home to the UK, using the toll road in 35C heat, running at 80mph for hours.

I've cleaned the plate and the front of the engine and it doesn't happen at lower speeds or lower temperatures.

Has anybody else noticed this ? My guess is that this is a combination of a slightly defective crank oi seal, high oil temperature and high engine speed combining to leak a little oil.

I've just bought some Redline 15w50 oil to see if this helps, but if not I'll have to get the oil seal changed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sounds like the front seal, i'd definitely get it looked at, the oil will degrade the belt quickly and it will just get worse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts