Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This looks useful

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
195 Posts
Totally unnecessary, trust me. All it takes is to understand that it’s not so much the pull, it’s putting your foot/weight on the stand that does the lifting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love how they try to lift the bike by pulling the handlebars backwards in the video.. That is NOT the way to put a bike on it's centerstand.

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
@Norbi has nailed it. The handle shouldn't be required, I've never needed it on any of my previous bikes that had centre stands, boxers included. It's all about technique in most instances. Just my opinion nevertheless...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every bike I've owned with centre stand had a purpose designed place to grab it and pull it up. The 9T having never been designed for a centre stand, does not.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
159 Posts
After I installed the Wunderlich centre stand, I simply didn't manage to put the bike on it for a couple of days. I was really frustrated. But then, I finally nailed it:

1. Put the bike upright
2. Set the stand on the ground by pushing it down with your right foot ensuring both feet of the stand are touching the ground
3. Grab the pillion frame with your right hand or, if no pillion frame is installed, grab the (low) muffler bracket. Never did this in a high routed muffler bike so don't know where to grab in one of those. To help you balance your body, grab the left grip but don't pull it
4. Now, at the same time, put all your weight on your right foot on the stand (even take your left foot off the ground), whilst you somewhat lean your body towards the rear of the bike and pull the frame/bracket with your right hand towards the back and up. She will pop up straight away and rest on the stand.

To take it off the stand:
1. Put the kickstand down, if up. At least in the first time you do this or if you are in an incline, you may want to put the bike in 1st gear so that she doesn't run away from you
2. Set your left foot against the stand to serve as a stop
3. Grab the bike with your right hand, the same way as 3 above and put your left on the left grip, as before
4. Now, at the same time, push your left foot against the stand so that it doesn't slip and pull the bike with your right hand, towards the front and up. She will step down from the centre stand and will lean to the left towards you so you either count on it and counter lean or let it rest on the kickstand. Again, if not in 1st, she might runaway and fall, particularly in a descending slope

I only use the 1st gear thing in slopes but it is useful the first couple of times you try this.

When you nail it the first time, do it 10 times in a row. You'll never forget it, it's like.... riding a bike!

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
195 Posts
Wow, that’s a long and detailed explanation, but sounds about right. All I remembered is “grab her by the P...illion frame”😂.
In all seriousness, I’d only add when taking it back down, have your right foot again put some pressure on the stand, so that the dump is not as hard. You might also cover the front brake to ease that movement. It really sounds very complicated, but I do the lifting in Birkenstocks with one hand, never a prob.

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
Every bike I've owned with centre stand had a purpose designed place to grab it and pull it up. The 9T having never been designed for a centre stand, does not.
You ever owned a MK1 LeMans?? ;) Using the bespoke handle to lift that bike on the centre stand would probably result in a slipped-disc or a hernia, maybe even both! LOL Better off grabbing the Guzzi’s rear frame and pushing down hard on the centre stand lever and it pops right up with ease.

I always experiment and don't take the provision of a grab handle as automatically being the best place to haul the bike up with. Though (in fairness) a lot of the times it is.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You ever owned a MK1 LeMans?? ;) Using the bespoke handle to lift the bike on the centre stand would probably result in a slipped-disc or a hernia, maybe even both! LOL Better off grabbing the rear frame and pushing down hard on the centre stand lever and it pops right up with ease.

I always experiment and don't take the provision of a grab handle as automatically being the best place to haul the bike up with. Though (in fairness) a lot of the times it is.
Well I've ordered it.
I've already put my back out once having to bend down to grab the exhaust bracket so had to put the subframe back on as this is the only thing that provides something to hold.
I was going to remove the stand and sell it but I'll give this a go.
I'll report back.

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
Hope it works out for you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Well I've ordered it.
I've already put my back out once having to bend down to grab the exhaust bracket so had to put the subframe back on as this is the only thing that provides something to hold.
I was going to remove the stand and sell it but I'll give this a go.
I'll report back.
Please let us know how it works.
I don't know why we always pay more through wunderlich america.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is it just me.. or does this thing look like a glorified highway peg? But upside down?

I would imagine if you would bolt on a fold-in highway peg upside down; and add some plastic rings to make it move stiffer you have the same result; but for a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it just me.. or does this thing look like a glorified highway peg? But upside down?

I would imagine if you would bolt on a fold-in highway peg upside down; and add some plastic rings to make it move stiffer you have the same result; but for a fraction of the cost.
I only fit the best to my baby.
Maybe it is pointless.
I'll soon find out but no more pointless than dropping hundreds on a set of fancy levers or changing the seat colour which makes no difference to the bikes functionality whatsoever.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Very good explanation from @laalves. Just to complete, it is very important to make sure that the two feet of the center stand are touching the ground, to stabilize the motorcycle well on these two feet, and finally to put all its weight and lift the motorcycle. I measure 1.64 m and 60 kgs, no machine has resisted me ............ without a special handle ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very good explanation from @laalves. Just to complete, it is very important to make sure that the two feet of the center stand are touching the ground, to stabilize the motorcycle well on these two feet, and finally to put all its weight and lift the motorcycle. I measure 1.64 m and 60 kgs, no machine has resisted me ............ without a special handle ;)
Thanks but after 40 years of owning many many centre stand equipped bikes I am well aware of the technique.
Why am I getting so much stick over this.
Wish I'd never posted now.
I've seen bikes that people have spent hundreds on that to me look like a whores handbag but it's not for me to criticise other people's choices

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
159 Posts
I've seen bikes that people have spent hundreds on that to me look like a whores handbag but it's not for me to criticise other people's choices
If I were a woman I would potentially be a whore ;)o_O:eek:

And my handbag would have a nineT logo on it.

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
@PJS I honestly don't think anyone is criticising you, simply giving their opinion or well-meaning advice.. You of course are at perfect liberty to do exactly what you want to do to your own bike, but (respectfully) if you post on the forum about any subject you have to be open to receiving a potential wide range of opinions, not all of which might be to your liking... The same goes for other members posting about their mods to their bikes, have to be open to the fact that their mods won't appeal to everyone and that might be reflected in member replies. Its part of forum life, really...

IMO none of the replies on this thread have been anything other than respectful and/or pleasant.

I honestly hope that the grab handle helps you out and wish you every success with it.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Thanks but after 40 years of owning many many centre stand equipped bikes I am well aware of the technique.
Why am I getting so much stick over this.
Wish I'd never posted now.
Well, I ordered one also.
I have wished many times that there was a handle like my /6 had so I wouldn't have to bend over so far to get a grip.(old age and a bad back)
I will have to source longer bolts I think, as I am utilizing the 2 mounting points now for my mud slinger or whatever it is called.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts