BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks but after 40 years of owning many many centre stand equipped bikes I am well aware of the technique.
Why am I getting so much stick over this.
Wish I'd never posted now.
I've seen bikes that people have spent hundreds on that to me look like a whores handbag but it's not for me to criticise other people's choices
Hi @PJS. Far be it for me to criticize someone's choice. It was just a precision that can eventually be of use to a novice in placing a motorcycle on a center stand. For my part, I had a multitude of machines without and the day I had my first bike with it, I had to learn the technique. In addition, I respect your choice to buy and test the product. This is the principle and it will be very useful if you give us a feedback. I did the same with the "Roadlok". I posted and didn't get a really positive review. I bought the product anyway and I am more than satisfied with it. I posted pictures and my opinion and I hope it made people happy. You have to go to the end of things. Good road.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The problem as I see it is that the 9T was never designed with a centre stand in mind.
The designers of the Wunderlich stand have done the best they can but there is still a lot of weight bias to the front end which makes it difficult.
My R1100RS for example I can lift up onto the centre stand with two fingers.
Also I am suffering with an inguinal hernia and am awaiting an operation.
Obviously due to the current pandemic situation it looks like I'm going to be waiting a long time now.
The problem is (and I know this may make some people cringe) is that the amount of weight required over my right leg to haul the 9T up onto the stand causes the hernia to pop out.
Its very painful and a bugger to push back in again so I've given up with the centre stand.
Conversely my heavier R1100RS comes up onto the stand without any such issues.
I'm hoping this handle will help with the 9T and decided it was the risk.
I hadn't planned to mention my rather delicate issue but did so to show my reasoning to the doubters.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,
It's true that the R9T is a very special bike that most bikers like to customize to their tastes which differ from person to person. This is what makes our charm. It's a motorcycle on which you can change a lot of aesthetic accessories. This is also my case. I'm 56 years old, but I love changing a part of my bike myself. Recently RIZOMA club S indicators at the rear associated with a swing license plate holder from wunderlich.
But sometimes the need, the need to have an accessory is felt. I installed a passenger handle for my wife because she didn't have much to hold onto. It's not very aesthetic, but I did it anyway, without thinking. It's the same for you I think. It is true that this handle is not considered as a frankly aesthetic and useful element for most bikers, hence the reactions. Besides, I could be wrong, but if you didn't have your physical problems, you probably wouldn't pay attention. But the service she is likely to render you exceeds all the rest. You don't even have to think about it. And your experience will be useful to more than one "broken" biker who goes through this forum.

Envoyé de mon Mi MIX 2S en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi,
It's true that the R9T is a very special bike that most bikers like to customize to their tastes which differ from person to person. This is what makes our charm. It's a motorcycle on which you can change a lot of aesthetic accessories. This is also my case. I'm 56 years old, but I love changing a part of my bike myself. Recently RIZOMA club S indicators at the rear associated with a swing license plate holder from wunderlich.
But sometimes the need, the need to have an accessory is felt. I installed a passenger handle for my wife because she didn't have much to hold onto. It's not very aesthetic, but I did it anyway, without thinking. It's the same for you I think. It is true that this handle is not considered as a frankly aesthetic and useful element for most bikers, hence the reactions. Besides, I could be wrong, but if you didn't have your physical problems, you probably wouldn't pay attention. But the service she is likely to render you exceeds all the rest. You don't even have to think about it. And your experience will be useful to more than one "broken" biker who goes through this forum.

I'm a very boring person.
I've always been that way even from a young age.
Its not something I'm hung up over or ashamed of.
I'm very happy with what I am and at 57 it's too late to change anyway.
When I started riding aged 18 I used to spend a lot of time in BMW dealers dreaming of R100RS's, and the like at a time when those bikes were strictly the domain of the elderly pipe and slippers brigade.
All of my bikes since have been practical decisions.
My 9T is the first bike in 39 years based solely on a decision of the heart.
I bought it purely on its looks and presence.
Completely out of character for me.
However if you saw my bike you would see how my boring practical side is manifested in the things I've added.
I just can't help it.
Its who I am
😁

·
Registered
26 Posts
Diversity is what makes human contact interesting. We are who we are. What a misfortune if we were all the same, with the same tastes, the same expectations.
I wish you well and we look forward to your return on this famous handle,

·
Registered
154 Posts
Also I am suffering with an inguinal hernia and am awaiting an operation...I hadn't planned to mention my rather delicate issue but did so to show my reasoning to the doubters.
I think this makes all the difference. You may find when you are 100% the lever isn't necessary. When injured the small handle makes normal movements possible that otherwise wouldn't be. Good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
All done

Positives

Usual excellent Wunderlich quality.
Looks factory on the bike and functions well

Allows you to pull up while standing straight rather than having to crouch down.

Negatives

Extremely fiddly to fit.
Its very tight and I can see some people cross threading and stripping the threads where the bracket mounts into the frame.
Be very careful.

It looks like the subframe needs to remain in place.
The outer surface of the handle bracket lips tightly behind the subframe rail.
I suspect if you try and lift the weight of the bike without the subframe the bracket would bend due to having no support.
I'm not certain about this but it looks likely.
That's a bummer.

It's marginally easier to lift now but not the big difference I was hoping for.

Anyway you win some you lose some.

It does what it's supposed to do, looks factory and not unsightly, and is about 20% easier to lift, so for me worth having.

·
Administrator
11,775 Posts
Great report! Seems like it could be a worth-while buy for some people that just need a bit of an assist, could make the difference between keeping the centre stand or not.

Reactions: PJS

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I just heard back from Wunderlich and can confirm that the handle can only be used with the subframe fitted for the reasons I cited.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I just heard back from Wunderlich and can confirm that the handle can only be used with the subframe fitted for the reasons I cited.
Nice. After they list it as fitting the Racer.
Looks like there might be a return in my future.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Answering my own post. I can confirm that this will not work without a passenger sub-frame. The bracket bends when lifting.
This is after wunderlich assured me on the phone this morning that it would work.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I'm a very boring person.
I've always been that way even from a young age.
Its not something I'm hung up over or ashamed of.
I'm very happy with what I am and at 57 it's too late to change anyway.
When I started riding aged 18 I used to spend a lot of time in BMW dealers dreaming of R100RS's, and the like at a time when those bikes were strictly the domain of the elderly pipe and slippers brigade.
All of my bikes since have been practical decisions.
My 9T is the first bike in 39 years based solely on a decision of the heart.
I bought it purely on its looks and presence.
Completely out of character for me.
However if you saw my bike you would see how my boring practical side is manifested in the things I've added.
I just can't help it.
Its who I am
😁
PJS;
Show us a picture of both your BMs.
I’ve given up trying to put my 1100RS on the centre/Center stand. Might be my worn out knees, hip or lower back, but it’s just too difficult for me.
Cheers,Ken.
PS. The 1100RS feels like a tank when compared to my Pure, until moving, that is.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Thanks but after 40 years of owning many many centre stand equipped bikes I am well aware of the technique.
Why am I getting so much stick over this.
Wish I'd never posted now.
I've seen bikes that people have spent hundreds on that to me look like a whores handbag but it's not for me to criticise other people's choices
I know your pain. My friends have stated the same about technique, technique, technique. But the nine, no matter ho much I try, when my panniers are on 7th modest load, is impossible to get on the center stand unless I run up on. 12 mm riser board. I don't park it anymore in the garage without the board. The upside is I'm getting very good at hitting the Sam spot with my rear tire a the front in. Short distance.😀. So unless parking in the garage, or with panniers off and less weight in rear, I don't use the center stand. Now only for maintenance mostly. I think the Wunderlich stand is just engineered a bit too long, but now they nt you to purchase an expensive extra dohiggy to fix their engineering ineptitude on this item. I've bought several upgrades from them, but they failed miserably on this one. YRMV

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Ha...thank you Sir, very nice, both.
I’m now thinking I’ve seen these bikes before.
Cheers,Ken.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Normally I'm in the group that says the handle isn't needed if the proper technique is used to put the bike on the center stand. However, the center stand on the R9T isn't a factory design, and the weight bias is very heavy on the front end. In cases like this I can easily understand the need for the handle. My DR650 was harder to put up on a center stand than my R1200GSA was. That being said, I wonder if the handle wouldn't work better more towards the front of the bike.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I wonder if the handle wouldn't work better more towards the front of the bike.
Absolutely yes.
The assistance with the handle only makes a small difference, but still enough to warrant its use.
Its very expensive for what it is, but then isn't nearly everything we adorn our bikes with.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts