BMW NineT Forum banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Herwaldt Motorsports our local BMW (Ducati, Triumph & Indian) dealer sold and installed my Ohlins setup. Their Ohlins tech has been at it for over 30 years and took great care to insure it was dialed in for the ride home. Given their racing history I suspect Ozzie's in Chico California may also do aftermarket suspension work.

·
Registered
349 Posts
At some point, I'll do something about the suspension. It's good to know why it occasionally turns wide on declines.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When I took mine to MCT to have the front and rear suspension revalved, springs changed to Ohlins and then set up for my weight they showed me the stock damping internals from the front fork. I'm not a suspension expert by a long way and don't claim to be, but the transfer holes that allow oil to move through the internals were extremely small compared to a 1000RR that they showed me.

I don't believe it's a major fault on BMW's side, they fit a standard spec suspension for the bike and I guess they don't expect people to tramp on down bumpy backroads at speed but we do don't we :) Sure it should be better for the price but that's what we get.

My previous bike, a VTR1000 was shocking on stock suspension and tank-slapped badly on bumpy roads.
Again modding sorted this perfectly.
My brother has just picked up a brand new Yamaha MT09, he says it's almost unrideable due to the poor rear shock fitted as standard on bumpy roads.

Lot's of options discussed here for modding, all for different pocket depths.

Mark

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Well I have finally bitten the bullet and am in the process of buying an Andreani fork cartridge kit. As I'm not going to see a racetrack and am only an average bend-swinger I am hoping that this will give me a decent improvement in handling/ride without me having to spend a fortune. Was going to be going for Wilbers to match the rear shock but their prices have gone up significantly recently. Will attempt to fit them myself as the springs to suit my weight will be fitted before the suppliers ship them. No spring compressor therefore needed. Should be reasonably straightforward as long as the bottom bolt on each fork leg plays ball. LOL ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I did the HyperPro internal and rear install and the difference was dramatic. Probably not the same as premium stuff but the bike handles better and is less taxing on my back/butt.
Much better for my passenger, too!

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I did the HyperPro internal and rear install and the difference was dramatic. Probably not the same as premium stuff but the bike handles better and is less taxing on my back/butt.
Much better for my passenger, too!
Glad you got a good result. Did the fork internals come out easily?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Will attempt to fit them myself as the springs to suit my weight will be fitted before the suppliers ship them. No spring compressor therefore needed. Should be reasonably straightforward as long as the bottom bolt on each fork leg plays ball.
I believe they'll include (not install) the "correct" weight springs. You install the cartridges first, which is pretty straight forward in the OE forks, but the springs don't get installed 'til after you've poured in fork oil, purged the cartridges and set the fork oil levels.

I've changed springs and changed oil levels in my Ohlins forks without a spring compressor but each time I swear I'll get one before I do it again...

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
@JohnT

The company seemed to imply that the forks will come pre-installed with the correct rating of springs for my weight. Possibly the language barrier got in the way, I guess I'll see when the forks arrive! They are also supplying Ohlins fork oil of the weight they recommend.

Either way I'll have a go at the installation so be prepared for questions if I get stuck! lol

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
@JohnT

The company seemed to imply that the forks will come pre-installed with the correct rating of springs for my weight. Possibly the language barrier got in the way, I guess I'll see when the forks arrive!

Will be interesting. Being curious I went to download the Andreani R9T fork cartridge kit manual so I could see what they're doing but they wanted me to "register" and supply way more info than I wanted to give them so I didn't. Looked like aside from e-mail mailings they want to get you on snail mail mailing lists too, nooo thanks.

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Interesting! Will still have a go I think!

Looks as if you may well be right @JohnT, the springs have to be removed from the Andreani kit before installing the damper in the fork tube.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Interesting! Will still have a go I think!
Definitely! I don't mean to sound discouraging.

I believe that after removing the fork cap on the OE forks you can then just slide the entire cartridge / spring assy out after removing the bottom bolt. Invert the fork to drain the fork oil before removing the bottom bolt or you'll get a rude surprise... If you want them disassembled (may be easier to store) that is probably easier while the assy is still in the fork.

The one thing I HAD to do was thin (with/on a grinder) an open end wrench so I could reach thru the spring coils to hold the nut on the damper rod under the fork cap. See pic 15 Freddie graciously supplied. Looks like you may need to do the same.

Andreani also doesn't mention "pumping" the damper rod(s) after pouring in the fork oil (to get all the air out of the cartridge) before setting the oil levels, which you usually do with the damper shaft fully depressed (collapsed).

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Thanks! Appreciate your advice @JohnT. I'll let you know if I run into any issues.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Unfortunately, if you follow those instructions you'll have to do the mod as fast as possible, because at the very beginning it clearly states that the instructions are for RACE USE ONLY.

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Andreani Fork Kit

Only ordered them on Friday from Italy, but I answered a knock on my door today and was handed these....

Will get around to installing them in the next month or so, life pretty busy right now. From a non-expert view they look like quality kit and not crimped together rubbish.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
From a non-expert view they look like quality kit and not crimped together rubbish.
Should be that way. They're made so they can be dis-assembled and re-valved (and serviced) as necessary. Voodoo that I send mine to folks who know what they're doing to have done...

Lookin' good! :3tens:

We should start a pool on how long you can stand to wait to install them...

101 - 120 of 148 Posts