BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
did anyone experienced a noise coming from (I assume) the fuel pump in the tank?
When I have my tank half full or less I can hear the fuel pump working. It's not loud by any means but I can hear it when I'm parked or sitting in the slow traffic.
anyone experienced something like that? Should I be worried? The bike is almost new and still under warranty.

Cheers
Tomasz

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi,
did anyone experienced a noise coming from (I assume) the fuel pump in the tank?
When I have my tank half full or less I can hear the fuel pump working. It's not loud by any means but I can hear it when I'm parked or sitting in the slow traffic.
anyone experienced something like that? Should I be worried? The bike is almost new and still under warranty.

Cheers
Tomasz
I don’t think I’ve ever heard my pump TJ, and I’m way out of warranty. What’s it sound like ? I’m assuming you’re sitting there with the engine off but the key on ....? Yes?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t think I’ve ever heard my pump TJ, and I’m way out of warranty. What’s it sound like ? I’m assuming you’re sitting there with the engine off but the key on ....? Yes?
hi Bliltz! I hope you are all good and save!
The sound is like a electrical hissing noise, very weak but very frustrating haha and it's on the moment I start the bike and sit in idle. I'm not able to hear it when the tank is full of fuel though...
When we reopen I will take the bike to the dealer and see what they have to say :)

Cheers
TJ

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
hi Bliltz! I hope you are all good and save!
The sound is like a electrical hissing noise, very weak but very frustrating haha and it's on the moment I start the bike and sit in idle. I'm not able to hear it when the tank is full of fuel though...
When we reopen I will take the bike to the dealer and see what they have to say :)

Cheers
TJ
I can’t be of any value on this one TJ, never heard it but it doesn’t sound good to me. I think I’d be OK with it if the engine wasn’t running but even in idle with the tank extra low I don’t believe you should be able to hear it pumping. I’m not sure it’s the fuel pump. You’re not resting your ear on the tank are you ? Maybe then you could hear it. They shouldn’t make all that much noise .... I don’t think anyway.... Blitz
Maybe next time you’re low on fuel with the engine off but the key on listen. If you can hear it ... add fuel and see if it stops as the tank fills up ... then you’ll know for sure it’s the pump.

Reactions: TomJoz

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can’t be of any value on this one TJ, never heard it but it doesn’t sound good to me. I think I’d be OK with it if the engine wasn’t running but even in idle with the tank extra low I don’t believe you should be able to hear it pumping. I’m not sure it’s the fuel pump. You’re not resting your ear on the tank are you ? Maybe then you could hear it. They shouldn’t make all that much noise .... I don’t think anyway.... Blitz
Maybe next time you’re low on fuel with the engine off but the key on listen. If you can hear it ... add fuel and see if it stops as the tank fills up ... then you’ll know for sure it’s the pump.
I'll check it out next time I'm allowed to ride ;( Full lock down here in NZ. Could potentially fire her up in the garage :) And yes I can hear it also with my ear resting on the tank! I think a visit to the shop won't hurt :)
Thanks and stay safe!

·
Administrator
12,415 Posts
Can't ever remember hearing mine wth the stock exhaust, probably even less of chance now with my LOUD exhaust system! LOL

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I don't hear it while I'm riding ;) I've put also an Akropovic on. It's a high pitch noise so it's very very annoying ;)
I haven’t ditched the cat just yet but I intend to, Ive done a flapectomy and completely gutted the stock mufflers so I don’t hear much but growl and roar but frankly I’ve never heard the fuel pump and I listen to the bike noises very carefully. If you get it to a certified BMW mechanic I’ll bet he’ll know what it is in a heart beat. Is your lock down still on? Any sense of when that will let up?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi,

Cheers
Tomasz
I spent a while trying to figure out what exactly this noise was. it was loud enough to be distracting and concerning.I finally took it in to the dealer and the sound was diagnosed as the fuel pump(which is now on order) and under warranty (thank goodness)!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spent a while trying to figure out what exactly this noise was. it was loud enough to be distracting and concerning.I finally took it in to the dealer and the sound was diagnosed as the fuel pump(which is now on order) and under warranty (thank goodness)!
Mine just stopped or is not so bad as it was so for now I don't have to worry about that. But it's good to know that it's the fuel pump as the next time it will happen it will be much easier to diagnose.

·
Registered
2019 BMW R NineT Pure
5 Posts
Mine just stopped or is not so bad as it was so for now I don't have to worry about that. But it's good to know that it's the fuel pump as the next time it will happen it will be much easier to diagnose.
Just replaced my Pure’s fuel tank with a new one from a Scrambler. After assembling everything and starting the engine with sufficient fuel inside the tank the engine could not ignite, then I lifted the tank again and checked the fuel line connections. In the second time the engine started normally, but this time I have this fuel pump noise. Fuel line connectors are really tricky, they seem very loose even after the clicking sound. I think this noise comes beacuse the fuel line heads are not properly connected and the required vacuum could not be achieved. I will get assistance from the authorized dealer anyways.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have been noticing a gentle high pitched pump noise when accelerating when my engine is cold. It goes away as it warms up. But I’ve also recently reinserted the baffle on my yoshimura exhaust. I’m also at 20k miles. I don’t think it’s gotten louder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts