BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i fitted the akra headers last thursday and took it for its first ride on saturday, and what a improvement. It now has a full system running with a [email protected] filter and the baffles removed. Its louder but not over loud with a lot more pull in the mid range in all gears. There's only a slight pop and burble as i roll of the throttle or down shift, no smell of unburnt fuel. I will pull the plugs and check for fouling when its done around 500 miles more, but at the moment there's no signs of running lean or over fueling, so i will put the booster plug or remap on hold for the time being.
I should have done this years ago as its now a completly different bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all, i fitted the akra headers last thursday and took it for its first ride on saturday, and what a improvement. It now has a full system running with a [email protected] filter and the baffles removed. Its louder but not over loud with a lot more pull in the mid range in all gears. There's only a slight pop and burble as i roll of the throttle or down shift, no smell of unburnt fuel. I will pull the plugs and check for fouling when its done around 500 miles more, but at the moment there's no signs of running lean or over fueling, so i will put the booster plug or remap on hold for the time being.
I should have done this years ago as its now a completly different bike.
Hi Carl2477,
I am wondering did you remap ECU? Or using BP?
Which year is your bike? Post 2016 (Euro 4 ECU) or pre 2016?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2015 model, with no booster plug or remap. But early next I will take it to hill top in Nottingham to have the map updated as a just in case measure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does it run ok without the remap?
I’m just wondering, since the ECU jobs is to make sure the engine to run good (not too lean and not too rich) l. Therefore without remap, it should be able to cope with the exhaust mods. Just my basic logic

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,632 Posts
Ahhh now there's loads of discussion on various remap and tuning threads about this..... And there's not a definitive answer, just what two sets of people believe. Some say the ECU adjusts OK, and the other that it can't adjust enough and needs a help in the form of a Booster Plug/Remap/Or Piggyback Device such as a Power Commander or Rapid Bike module. Do some reading and make up your own mind. :)

I think a simple silencer replacement will be coped with OK by the ECU as long as you are happy with the stock fuelling and throttle response (I wasn't). However a more extreme exhaust change (catless headers and performance silencer, or air filter box removal) really needs a minimum of a Booster Plug but preferably a remap. Others might tell you different, but hey that's why I simply advise you to read up on the forum threads and come to your own decision. :)

I initially fitted a Booster Plug and was happy with the better throttle control and happily used that till I went with a full exhaust system change. At that point I invested in a Bren tune (ECU Remap via a handheld device) and haven't looked back. Really happy with how the bike performs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ahhh now there's loads of discussion on various remap and tuning threads about this..... And there's not a definitive answer, just what two sets of people believe. Some say the ECU adjusts OK, and the other that it can't adjust enough and needs a help in the form of a Booster Plug/Remap/Or Piggyback Device such as a Power Commander or Rapid Bike module. Do some reading and make up your own mind. :)

I initially fitted a Booster Plug and was happy with the better throttle control and happily used that till I went with a full exhaust system change. At that point I invested in a Bren tune (ECU Remap via a handheld device) and haven't looked back. Really happy with how the bike performs.
Hello, I'm getting ready to do the Unit Garage Header(catless) and the Double low. I was looking at the Brentune Stage II. After reading your post I look forward to doing this even more so. Does it start better, low rpm cruise smoother, more power everywhere, etc?? Any details you could offer would be great.

Ryan

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Hi Ryan, yeah the engine is just better all over! Have a look at the Bren tuning threads and you'll see what both myself and other happy customers think of their Bren tune. :)

·
Registered
599 Posts

I think a simple silencer replacement will be coped with OK by the ECU as long as you are happy with the stock fuelling and throttle response (I wasn't). However a more extreme exhaust change (catless headers and performance silencer, or air filter box removal) really needs a minimum of a Booster Plug but preferably a remap. Others might tell you different, but hey that's why I simply advise you to read up on the forum threads and come to your own decision. :)

there's also the 3rd group that say if you go to the trouble and expense of fitting a full exhaust you should get the most from it and do a proper remap, you don't know what you don't have and if it's a quality product (Akra certainly is!) then surely you must expect that it has made an improvement in how the exhaust system works.

Fitting a booster plug to increase fuelling is kind of like using your garden hose on full to fill your washer bottle, sure, it gets the job done but is it the most efficient method? unless you get a proper tune you're really only doing half a job, and a seat of the pants assessment is never going to be accurate, chances are fitting a full system and doing nothing else will likely make it worse.

Given BMW offer the HP slip on as an accessory it's a fair assumption that their ECU has enough adjustment for that, but a full system with the cat removed? LOL, i doubt it

·
Registered
101 Posts
there's also the 3rd group that say if you go to the trouble and expense of fitting a full exhaust you should get the most from it and do a proper remap, you don't know what you don't have and if it's a quality product (Akra certainly is!) then surely you must expect that it has made an improvement in how the exhaust system works.

Fitting a booster plug to increase fuelling is kind of like using your garden hose on full to fill your washer bottle, sure, it gets the job done but is it the most efficient method? unless you get a proper tune you're really only doing half a job, and a seat of the pants assessment is never going to be accurate, chances are fitting a full system and doing nothing else will likely make it worse.

Given BMW offer the HP slip on as an accessory it's a fair assumption that their ECU has enough adjustment for that, but a full system with the cat removed? LOL, i doubt it
I went with a full akra system with the Booster Plug that was previously installed on my mostly stock bike and rode it for a few months like that. The increase in performance from losing the cat was very noticeable, and the Booster Plug seemed to handle the mods just fine. I finally removed the Booster Plug and installed my Bren tune, and I have to say there wasn't a huge difference in performance and rideability apparent in the first ride. Time will tell as I ride it more. Take this for what it's worth.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Booster plug vs. ECU remap?
Wish I had the $$ to try both AND get dyno readings for each .... that would clinch it for me. :)

"four wheels good, two wheels better"

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
@Chris<CJ> The Boosterplug is not a performance upgrade. All it does is smooth out the throttle roll-on due to the stock over-lean mixture (for emissions puropses). If you want a performance mod that will also resolve the lean running mixture at the same time, you need a remap, such as a Bren tune, though I'm sure other suppliers are available too.

I'm very surprised that @speedm hasn't found a noticeable improvement with the Bren tune, I found the difference startling and it seemed to get even better through use. Perhaps you need to talk to Bren if you are still unhappy after using the bike for a few weeks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm very surprised that @speedm hasn't found a noticeable improvement with the Bren tune, I found the difference startling and it seemed to get even better through use. Perhaps you need to talk to Bren if you are still unhappy after using the bike for a few weeks.
The rideability is definitely improved, though I never really had a problem with that stock. I felt the biggest gains with the catless headers, I think the addition of the tune didn't feel as big of a jump. I might just be used to the way the bike rides now, might try my friend's stock bike back to back with mine to feel the difference.

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
The rideability is definitely improved, though I never really had a problem with that stock. I felt the biggest gains with the catless headers, I think the addition of the tune didn't feel as big of a jump. I might just be used to the way the bike rides now, might try my friend's stock bike back to back with mine to feel the difference.
Yes riding a stock one would be a good comparison, but I went from a bike with a Booster Plug, catless headers and a performance exhaust to the same setup with Booster Plug removed and Bren Tune installed. I was amazed at just how much better the bike performed and the way the bike made poser all through the rev range - especially mid to top, the mid range flat spot was gone and the bike just took off. Also the throttle response was even better at small openings, and that was compared to the BP, which was a step up from the stoick throttle response.

It'll be interesting to hear your findings when you ride the stock bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I fitted Akra TI headers to my Scrambler yesterday. Polished them with 600, 1500, 00 steel wool and metal polish. That made them look very very nice. 100% recommend them. Very easy to fit, definitely assemble the headers all together first then install them on the bike.

Bike has absolutely woken up and is way more fun to ride. Smoother and really wants to rev through the gears now.

Not much louder at idle than stock with flapper deleted. Not obnoxious for your neighbors unless you really start revving through the gears - then she wakes up quite a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts