BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a ‘real’ mudguard for the front on a classic? I want best weather protection without sticking ugly add ons on. I’m curious if anything fits from other bikes that are cost effective if anyone has already done it? By fit I mean important in looks not necessarily in fixings as I can form my own fixtures.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I have seen this and thought it was expensive. Tigcraft has a Classic and I think the scrambler mudguard/fender would not look right with normal road tyres.
I have been in touch with a company this week based in Redditch, they do various m/f in alloy or steel, however the widest one they do is 115mm which would be too narrow over a 120 tyre. Lengths are 650 or 800 mm but I wonder if the longer one will be safe just supported with the original R Nine T bracket. The guy did give me a contact who might make me a m/f to my size requirements, unfortunately I will have to wait until it gets delivered in March.

·
Registered
2018 R9T Classic
46 Posts
The front fender brackets are pretty beefy IMO but I don't know exactly how big you are picturing for full-size. Their shape and the way the bolt holes are offset with the fender nesting beneath will require some clever adapters. I'm curious to see what you come up with. If you made a set of adapters that would offset the factory fender a bit for a larger-diameter wheel/tire, you could sell them to folks who want the 19" cross-spoke rims on their Classics.

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m after a full size plastic not metal but sports tourer look mudguard probably from anything that might adapt to usd forks. I’ll made a bespoke mount and/or remake the mudguard swage lines.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've been worried about this since I own my Ninet. Rear part (battery/suspension etc) I protected with mudsling. Good balance between aesthetic (rear tire is showed) and protection.

But in the front I never found anything interesting. There are some solutions. Extend fender but it won't be enough to protect the lowest part of front breastplate etc.

In the end I decided to make my own solution. Here you can see. I'm still improving and testing but finally I think I got it. Debris, water, salt, mud...

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler due March
297 Posts
Maybe this is something that works for you:

one of the pictures shows it works with USD FF

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was thinking of something a little bigger. I have seen this which gives a little more protection, slightly longer would offer more protection. The trouble is I have USD forks.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking of something a little bigger. I have seen this which gives a little more protection, slightly longer would offer more protection. The trouble is I have USD forks.
View attachment 150281
Well that’s the nicest I’ve seen so far, the rest is just pocket emptying jokes from aftermarket manufacturers that have no functionality.
Even that one Martin although looks pretty after you’ve paid through the nose will want a major modification. Might just settle for a second hand triumph bonneville se mudguard or a style like that for £25 or similar and modify it. I spent a few hours on eBay last night looking at bikes for sale in the tourer/retro/cruiser sections for ideas to see what mainstream manufacturers use but nothing stood out. So the conclusion is down to best value as they all would have to be modified

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been worried about this since I own my Ninet. Rear part (battery/suspension etc) I protected with mudsling. Good balance between aesthetic (rear tire is showed) and protection.

But in the front I never found anything interesting. There are some solutions. Extend fender but it won't be enough to protect the lowest part of front breastplate etc.

In the end I decided to make my own solution. Here you can see. I'm still improving and testing but finally I think I got it. Debris, water, salt, mud...

I like the idea of extending the sump guard to help things. That’s also one of the things I’ll be doing.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe this is something that works for you:

one of the pictures shows it works with USD FF
Thank you but I’ll be no better off size wise.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem usually what I find is what’s out there is just shite and a lot of money for shite. I end up having to make things because I want stuff ‘in keeping’ with the BMW designed theme so it wants to look OEM. From what I can see all the aftermarket manufacturers just seem to want to milk you as you own a premium BMW but nobody ever comes up with a ‘Wow’ look that’s functional too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I spent a few hours on eBay last night looking at bikes for sale in the tourer/retro/cruiser sections for ideas to see what mainstream manufacturers use but nothing stood out. So the conclusion is down to best value as they all would have to be modified
Same here, quite a lot of aftermarket fenders available, but none big enough to function properly. There was a site I saw a couple of weeks back that pre formed stays for longer fenders, I dismissed at the time, but it might be an option. If I find it again I will post the link and see if we can make something out of them.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So Martin, even though you haven’t got yours yet what mods are you planning?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hope I am not hi jacking your thread, but you did ask.
Wunderlich engine bars and Wunderbob hugger just delivered to a friends house, so the mrs does not know. As I do not have any manufacturing facilities, most of my mods are off the peg. I was hoping to find a longer rear mudguard and use it in conjunction with the Wunderbob mountings, to offer better weather protection when touring. Revert to original mudguard for coffee shop use. Will consider getting it painted to match the front painted mudguard.

Front mudguard is still being researched. I am looking for a mounting similar to the Wunderbob that I can bolt a larger mudguard on. The problem is the mounting footprint is usually too small. I think this will lead to fracture. Anything that will give good weather protection and be safe will look too agricultural.

Main stand, currently not available for Euro 5 bikes. No indication at all when they will be. Not having the bike I cannot see where it is different to a EURO 4, for some Tigcraft attention.

Hepco and Becker skid plate, I hope to get this powdercoated black as they only come in aluminium. I think these have a very good protection of the front and underneath the engine.
Paint Protection Film for the clocks headlight and tank. The paint option I have chosen has cost me a few quid so, as I will be also using the bike for commuting, I want to try and avoid scratching it.
I have still not decided on rack and topcase. I like Nomad Hybrid panniers from Nolan, but they currently do not have a matching topcase I emailed them a week ago, but still no response to my questions.

I have a Sat Nav holder for my Nav 5, thanks to a fellow member, just need a mount.

I took off the LED aux lights from my F750GS, I have the loom and mirror switch, I will wire them in at some stage.

There are a few other tweeks I an thinking about, but the main thing is to get out and put some miles on it. I have taken a week off in March so I will have plenty of tinkering time to get to know the bike and set up the suspension. I only hope the weather will be ok.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts