BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please Help!

Hi guys,
I have a plan to change my stock exhaust with full system exhaust either from unit garage or akraprovic. Both are catless. And I also want to remove the exhaust valve and change the air intake with K&N air filter.

I’ve been scrutinised the forum, and I know that it is mandatory (perhaps) to either tune/flash/map the ECU so the engine will not run lean. But the problem is, there is no legit tuner in my country (Indonesia), so I only have an option either to go with BP or PCV (I am not starting BP vs PCV debate again here since there are already tons of BS vs PCV threads)
But again, there is another problem with PCV and BP.
For PCV, i’ve search the mapping option on their website and i couldn’t find mapping option for 2017+ RnineT (Euro 4 ECU)
So the only option I have is with the BP. However from another thread i’ve read that the ECU of 2017+ RnineT can “mitigate” the “magic” of the BP, thus the BP will do nothing.

My questions is since the Euro 4 ECU is smart enough to adapt with BP to make sure the engine run quite lean as it is, does the ECU also can make the engine run rich if I change the air intake and full system exhaust thus I don’t need to remap it?

Thank you guys,
English is not my mother language, so please forgive me if my words is not good enough.
Cheers! Have a good day!

·
Administrator
11,565 Posts
Agree with the above!

Probably this option would be the one to go for if there’s no tuner in your part of the world. Not as good as bespoke ECU remap but better than a BP, which although good with exhaust system mods, would be the absolute minimum solution, but given the proposed setup not what I’d choose. Personally I’d be wanting something more sophisticated given whats going to be done to the bike. Just my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you go with rapid bike, Evo or racing you have some maps available for the rninet. One for the stock bike, another if you have aftermarket exhaust.
Wow thanks for the suggestion. I’ve searched for it, and it turns out that there is a authorised importer for RapidBike here. And I think I’ll use it for my bike.
Hope it will run great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for you too BaldyDave. Yeaaah I would choose to remap the ECU too if there were a good tuner here.
Well, i still wandering tho,
Since stock ECU able to detect if the engine run too lean or too rich, should it handle exhaust mods well too?
Does somebody has an experience to run a full system exhaust mods without doing anything to the ECU?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thank you for you too BaldyDave. Yeaaah I would choose to remap the ECU too if there were a good tuner here.
Well, i still wandering tho,
Since stock ECU able to detect if the engine run too lean or too rich, should it handle exhaust mods well too?
Does somebody has an experience to run a full system exhaust mods without doing anything to the ECU?
I'm running a full system (akra headers and TBR can) on my 2017 and it's great. The bike overall is smoother, it doesn't run any hotter, never had any sputtering, etc.

I also have a friend that is running a full system and aftermarket filter on his with no tuning and his bike is great as well.

The system will adjust after a tank of gas

·
Administrator
11,565 Posts
We are all different I guess and though I respect the folk above that are running their new exhaust systems without fuelling mods, it wouldn't be me... Personally I think the bike runs too lean as it is as standard without tempting fate and introducing the potential for even leaner running with a free flowing exhaust system.

I found the stock fuelling not brilliant and the bike throttle control was never smooth, especially on small throttle openings. Probably down to the lean (emissions compliant) fuelling. The Booster Plug made a positive difference, and was worth the money, but the Bren tune took it to another level of excellence. I now have a bike with an engine that maximised its potential and is the engine that BMW probably would have introduced if they could.

Very respectfully, to the folk with these performance exhaust/induction options, I'd say why do only half a job? You've got the go faster exhaust and induction mods, now give it the fuelling that will complete the package. I then challenge you to come back and say it wasn't worth it... ;)

However we are all different. I'm not saying I'm right but I am giving my opinion. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I definitely respect your opinion Dave! I've learned a ton from your posts.

I do however question how these bikes run lean. From what I've seen, only one person has recorded AFR readings on their bike and it's not running lean at all https://www.ninetowners.com/threads/afr-readings-on-the-racer.128889/

In fact, the system perfectly compensated for the mods

For a reference point -

AFR Values & Characteristics in Four Stroke Engines
6.0 AFR - Rich Burn Limit (engine fully warm)
9.0 AFR - Black Smoke / Low Power
11.5 AFR - Best Rich Torque at Wide Open Throttle
12.2 AFR - Safe Best Power at Wide Open Throttle
13.3 AFR - Lean Best Torque
14.6 AFR - Stoichiometric AFR (Stoich)
15.5 AFR - Lean Cruise
16.5 AFR - Usual Best Economy
18.0 AFR - Carbureted Lean Burn Limit
22.0+ AFR - EEC / EFI Lean Burn Limit

·
Administrator
11,565 Posts
I would like to see a full dyno run on that bike you mention @OCR9T . The power and torque curve would be interesting to see...

This might be a bit hypocritical of me though, as I have never got my bike put on a dyno... LOL

In the end of the day we both seem happy so surely that's the main thing. Would be a very boring forum if we all had the same viewpoint. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all,
Well, thank for both answer @BaldyDave and @OCR9T

Just an update.
so, regardless our discussion, last week I finally installed Unit Garage Full System with Valve Eliminator without Rapid Bike, Booster Plug, or else. (Basically just a stock ECU, R9T Roadster 2019)
I would like to say, in my opinion i could feel the engine act differently, I think it runs quite leans now. I can hear a "pop, pop, pop" sound sometimes (quite rarely) when i close the throttle, and it idles quite rough.
However, I think it still in TOLERABLE level. So, basically it runs just fine.

Anyway I am planning to install Rapid Bike Evo within this month just to see how it will run :).
I'll give you all the update. Cheers.

Just an info.
Personally, i think UNIT GARAGE FULL SYSTEM is the best exhaust system for R9T. Trust me. Now my R9T is LOUDER than my DYNA. :ROFLMAO: :cool:(y).
So, my bike was installed with SC Procject Bent Conical 70s Slip on, too soft, too quite. So last week I planned to install Unit Garage Header and valve eliminator, because i think the problem with the quite sound was the catalic converter still. However, after I installed it, the sound didn't change. :(. Then the shop owner told me, that i needed to change the can too. So I did and daaaammmmnnn (sorry), now it sounds just right (honestly I think it is louder than some HD). Love it, Like it, Live it. :cool:(y)

Definitely, not an ad :ROFLMAO:.

·
Banned
660 Posts
I would definitely be getting a tune of some sort into it, not so much because of the full system, which will have an effect but more so for the free flowing air filter, in my experience that makes much more of a difference to how the bike will run. And while it feels different but you say it's ok i'd suggest a tune will make it really come to life, lean bikes feel horrible, especially by comparison.....

Now, pictures?????

Reactions: BaldyDave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would definitely be getting a tune of some sort into it, not so much because of the full system, which will have an effect but more so for the free flowing air filter, in my experience that makes much more of a difference to how the bike will run. And while it feels different but you say it's ok i'd suggest a tune will make it really come to life, lean bikes feel horrible, especially by comparison.....

Now, pictures?????
Yes, i probably will. I am planning to install RapidBike Evo anytime soon.
Since I didn't change the air intake, so i think the bike runs considerably ok, just a little bit rough.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update guys. So I finally did installed RapidBike Evo after months of running the bike with catless exhaust and without any fuel management unit (BP, PCV, RPBike, etc).

So, my initial response was... the bike run better. Less pop-pop-pop during deceleration, but the "pop" is still there. Well, I guess it did fix my lean engine problem but not that good (maybe?)

@sgppinto said that the RapidBike has two settings for R9T which are for standart exhaust system and custom one. Honestly I didn't know which one was the technician installed to my RapidBike. But if I am not mistaken, RapidBike can write its setting by itself. So i guess, i just need to ride it more often to completely lose the "pop".
And for those who think of installing RapidBike by your own. My suggestion is DON'T unless you really know what you are doing. It is not that hard once you understand it, but for noob wrencher like me... just leave it to the pro. 😁

I hope my experience can help you guys. Cheers from Indonesia

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
The bike looks beautiful!!! Just to add that, without trying to inform the technical debate regarding mapping, popping on the overrun is quite normal (and certainly so with the UG exhaust - even just the end can - fitted). Many of us love the pops and regard more as better!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just an update guys. So I finally did installed RapidBike Evo after months of running the bike with catless exhaust and without any fuel management unit (BP, PCV, RPBike, etc).

So, my initial response was... the bike run better. Less pop-pop-pop during deceleration, but the "pop" is still there. Well, I guess it did fix my lean engine problem but not that good (maybe?)

@sgppinto said that the RapidBike has two settings for R9T which are for standart exhaust system and custom one. Honestly I didn't know which one was the technician installed to my RapidBike. But if I am not mistaken, RapidBike can write its setting by itself. So i guess, i just need to ride it more often to completely lose the "pop".
And for those who think of installing RapidBike by your own. My suggestion is DON'T unless you really know what you are doing. It is not that hard once you understand it, but for noob wrencher like me... just leave it to the pro. 😁

I hope my experience can help you guys. Cheers from Indonesia

View attachment 133289 View attachment 133290 View attachment 133291
@GnG thank you very much for your report about post RapidBikeEvo installation. I also put a Zard exhaust full system into my 2019 euro4 r9T and I’m considering for a RabidBikeEvo. Beside if the pop and bang reducing, did it have any improvement in smoothly or overall performance? Was the rough idle fixed or not?

Lastly, could you install it by yourself or need a professional guy?

thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts