BMW NineT Forum banner

Gel Seat Inset

16K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  gopam 
#1 ·
Trying to find posts on solo seats unsuccessful. Looking to possibly buy a gel seat insert and have the stock one redone. Any recommendations?

#2 ·
Depends on what you're after. It pays to know exactly what you want.

I'd suggest go DIY. The original cover is only stapled on underneath, it's not hard to remove those staples and slip something over the foam. You should be able to get everything you need from an upholsterer (scrap table) for under $20. A small light duty staple gun is all you need to staple everything back on.

If you merely want to achieve allover softer bum-pamper effect - inserting a thin (5-10 mm thick) medium density foam layer already creates a noticeable effect without distortion.

If you're after changing the seating position, eg slight rise the back of the bum = slightly increased lean-forward body / shortening distance to handlebars, inserting a pre-moulded 3D-gel-silicone bicycle monkey-butt-saddle-pad can achieve that easily .... including a centre groove to air the crown-jewels.

GEL Silicone Bike Bicycle Cycling Soft Comfort Saddle Seats Pad Cushion Cover US | eBay

Bike Bicycle Cycle Seat Saddle Black Soft Cushion Extra Comfort Gel Pad Cover US | eBay

#4 ·
Not bad options,alot cheaper than the motorcycle specific ones they sell. Mostly just looking to increase comfort.

Depends on what you're after. It pays to know exactly what you want.

I'd suggest go DIY. The original cover is only stapled on underneath, it's not hard to remove those staples and slip something over the foam. You should be able to get everything you need from an upholsterer (scrap table) for under $20. A small light duty staple gun is all you need to staple everything back on.

If you merely want to achieve allover softer bum-pamper effect - inserting a thin (5-10 mm thick) medium density foam layer already creates a noticeable effect without distortion.

If you're after changing the seating position, eg slight rise the back of the bum = slightly increased lean-forward body / shortening distance to handlebars, inserting a pre-moulded 3D-gel-silicone bicycle monkey-butt-saddle-pad can achieve that easily .... including a centre groove to air the crown-jewels.

GEL Silicone Bike Bicycle Cycling Soft Comfort Saddle Seats Pad Cushion Cover US | eBay

Bike Bicycle Cycle Seat Saddle Black Soft Cushion Extra Comfort Gel Pad Cover US | eBay

#28 ·
I went through the same thing and decided to go to my local custom motorcycle shop and have them add a gel insert to the stock seat. They turned it around in a day and could not be happier with the comfort. It made a huge difference.

Hi Greg, I'm in Los Angeles near Pasadena. Which local custom shop did you use for your gel insert seat? Did you need to supply the gel insert? Or just bring your stock seat to them? Thanks!

#16 · (Edited)
I didn't have too much of an issue with the original seat but the prospect of a bit more comfort was enticing, plus I wanted to do another mod on the bike and kill a weekend morning.

So I went the Luimoto route. Read the directions, watched the video and bought the recommended stuff (including an Arrow Fastener PT50 pneumatic staple gun ($28 US) and 1/4 inch (6 mm) stainless staples). There's no need to an additional tutorial set of pictures cuz' the Luimoto video covers it all nicely. Taking the seat apart, cutting out the hole (which does take a bit of time), installing the pad and putting the cover back on are really easy. My suggested additions to the directions are (1) I definitely suggest using the air stapler over a manual one. My manual stapler didn't sink the staple far enough into the seat pan; (2) mark where the seat cover meets the seat pan on the under part of the seat with a silver Sharpie marker. This makes it easier to realign the seat cover when putting it back on; and (3) cut the seat hole a 1/4 to an 1/8 inch less than the marked lines. This way you can then exact fit the gel pad to the hole by cutting out a bit more of the seat foam. As far as a skill level needed to tackle this project, I'd say that someone with Sponge Bob skills can easily complete the task. The revised seat looks no different after the installation than it did before.

My first ride (50 miles / 30 km) on the revised seat was nice. I didn't seem to sink into the padding as much. This was a bit strange at first but I quickly adjusted. I was really comfy by the end of the ride and had forgotten about the gel pad addition. I'll post an update after going on a much longer ride, but so far I like it.

Note: I have no connection with Luimoto.

#20 ·
Just an update on my Luimoto gel pad upgrade. I've done a few more 30-40 mile rides in 50 F weather with the revised seat. I find that it takes about 20-30 minutes for the seat to warm (i.e., uptake on some body heat). Up till then I find that the seat is a bit stiff and I slide around a bit. But once the seat warms up I settle into a nice comfy position and forget about the seat. I expect the warm up time to decrease once summer hits here and the temperature increase above 70 F. All in all, I'm really happy with the addition.

#23 ·
Finally got around to installing the Luimoto gel pad. Typical ride for me is 300-400 miles; don't ride around town, just head out to the Texas hill country and spend the day. The install was not challenging but a bit of PITA and time consuming and IMHO, the improvement is marginal for someone that puts in a long day in the saddle. I started to feel the "monkey butt" start to set in at about 150 miles.

I have yet to get the ergonomics right for me on this bike but sneaking up on it. Rox risers, lowered pegs so far but would still like a bit more rise and pull back on the bars which is going to be a project that will require some fabrication, maybe different bars and custom cables made to length. If I don't pay attention, I find myself leaning and putting pressure on my wrists but am learning that I can control that if I pay attention.

#26 · (Edited)
Yep pretty much my viewpoint too.... Possibly might still go for a Sergent seat but the Luimoto gell pad has definitely improved the comfort, however for me at least it wasn't a game-changer. It does seem to be improving with use so maybe these things break-in!

Hope you don't mind but I moved your post from the Sergeant seat thread to here. It was an interesting post but off-topic in that thread. It's much more at home here! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.