BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Urban GS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

My Urban is still sporting its road tyres though I'd really like to get it off road. Realistically, what are its capabilities do you think? Gentle trails, shingle etc. or something more demanding? What are your experiences?

Thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Always check the depth of the mud pit before you ride into it...

And walk the trail if it looks soft.. because it probably is...

But seriously, it will do better than you think. It could certainly use more suspension travel and more ground clearance, and a skid plate would be a smart move. When I got my Urban at the end of July it had about 900 miles on it, and the rear shock was horrible but wasn't set right for my weight. The forks were almost adequate. Now that I have about 7,000 miles on it, the adjusted rear shock is doing much better and while the forks are still adequate, they have bottomed out often with my 250 + gear pounds of experience.

I've taken it on some pretty rough stuff and for a street bike it has done well. I have plans on adding travel and raising the fork by about 40mm, and raising the rear by about 50mm. With the right suspension it will do very well. It still won't have the travel of a GSA, but it weighs almost 100 pounds less so it has less work to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh wow. Hard to find crown land or general offroad areas near me, seeing how well these bikes do offorad is impressive and inspiring!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi folks.

My Urban is still sporting its road tyres though I'd really like to get it off road. Realistically, what are its capabilities do you think? Gentle trails, shingle etc. or something more demanding? What are your experiences?

Thanks.
Have a look at Ricky Phoolka on Instagram and at his website which you can find if you search MotoSeven. He has extensively travelled and 'scrambled' his R Nine T Classic and his Nine T Scrambler. The latter has just been customised for overland travel and can be seen on his website. Super inspiring and does show that most Nine T Models can be used for the vast majority of tasks with a few minor changes.

I am currently making changes to my own Classic to make it more suitable for long distance touring and dirt roads. Current additions include; BMW GS Skid Plate, BMW GS Crud Plate, Engine Guards, Raised handlebars, off-road foot pegs, Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tyres etc. Yours will work with a couple of tweaks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi folks.

Thanks.
I do not have an Urban GS but I have green-laned and off-roaded other bikes. If you do head off the tarmac expect to lose grip, possibly fall off and face paying out for expensive repairs (cosmetic and functional). I took my RnineT on road tyres through a woodland track and it was truly a test of bowel control - I will not be repeating the exercise. Just my tuppence worth for what its worth - which might not be very much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even the knobblies don’t grip in the mud very well. Sit back a bit and be ready to dab. Standing up isn’t really an option as it’s not designed for this. Just go steady, there is fun to be had.
View attachment 137611
Be prepared to dab is right!
Wouldn't want to fall off with those cam covers on!!!

The Urban GS with TKC80's is quite capable, not enduro capable but certainly green lanes, fire trails, exploring power lines etc. And i would definitely fit a bash plate, if for nothing else than protecting the case from stone chipping the fins....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Be prepared to dab is right!
Wouldn't want to fall off with those cam covers on!!!

The Urban GS with TKC80's is quite capable, not enduro capable but certainly green lanes, fire trails, exploring power lines etc. And i would definitely fit a bash plate, if for nothing else than protecting the case from stone chipping the fins....
Its a loan bike 😀😖👍🏻

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is an amazing set of videos of youtube of a French man called Lolo Cochet, who takes a modified UGS in ICeland, and to be honest besides two crazy mods (snorkel and a winch) just by raising the UGS he made it an amazing off road machine. The videos are a little long but they are quite beautifull to watch.

By the way I love what has been done do the last UGS on this picture it looks amazing, whose bike is this ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
There is an amazing set of videos of youtube of a French man called Lolo Cochet, who takes a modified UGS in ICeland, and to be honest besides two crazy mods (snorkel and a winch) just by raising the UGS he made it an amazing off road machine. The videos are a little long but they are quite beautifull to watch.

By the way I love what has been done do the last UGS on this picture it looks amazing, whose bike is this ?
It‘s mine. Last pic is it’s current form.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Thanks for the review. I've always said it's the rider and not the bike. Kind of like when I was on the Continental Divide route here in the states, a South to North backcountry route from Mexico to Canada and I'm feeling pretty smug that I'm out in the mountains on a nicely narley back path and what greats me around a bend is a small Ford Sedan, slowly making its way up the trail. So much for my ego eh!🤣

·
Registered
286 Posts
Kind of like when I was on the Continental Divide route here in the states, a South to North backcountry route from Mexico to Canada and I'm feeling pretty smug that I'm out in the mountains on a nicely narley back path and what greats me around a bend is a small Ford Sedan, slowly making its way up the trail. So much for my ego eh!🤣
My wife and I did the Continental Divide Trail in 2007 from North to South. I know exactly how you feel. We came across a few people on bicycles that were doing the whole thing. A buddy went the next year and said his humbling moment was when he met a couple doing it on unicycles. Seriously. Wearing backpacks full of camping gear, food and water, and pedaling off road unicycles.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
That's why it's called adventure riding, Eh! A friend and I were following the Pony Express route west from St Joe MO heading into Utah and found ourselves on the actual Oregon Trail and ended up riding into a Mormon hand cart reenactment for youth. To say the least, they were not happy with our arrival. We were treated politely, but we're told we were truspassing and would have to leave immediately. Seemed like 20 miles of spots watching us as we rode dirt roads back to public land. Easy to get turned around out west. We kept seeing large gouged out sections of the dirt road we were riding before getting off on the Oregon trail and finally figured out they wear made from large gray hound busses transporting the kids to their reenactment site. Was an interesting day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts