BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting here looking at the handlebars and I'm not sure there's room for my Garmin...a place where it won't block the instruments. Lemme know if anybody fits one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm sitting here looking at the handlebars and I'm not sure there's room for my Garmin...a place where it won't block the instruments. Lemme know if anybody fits one.
I mounted my Garmin 665 right above the handlebar clamp using a RAM mount that replaces one of the Torx screws in the clamp. Sits perfectly centered with a clear view of the instruments.

Here's the mount:

RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screws

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hm. A GPS is nice to have, but looking at that picture it looks more out of place than the computer screen.

I wonder if I won't stick with taking breaks to stretch my legs and take a look at a map. Heck, that would even give me the opportunity to take up smoking cigarettes again.
I'll take another picture in the daylight for a better perspective. Definitely agree the GPS is out of place on this type of bike, but i'm hooked on GPS these days, so i'm ok with it. I'll post up another picture with the GPS removed so you can see how it looks with just the mount in place.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
we're lucky in Tassie, it's only about 3 hours in every direction before one hits a village or town or the island's edge :); in our Colonies we tend to generally only pick a direction of the compass and head for North or so.

Cross9T, you blanked out the BMW logo ... tsk tsk :p

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
I will be using my garmin on my 9T mainly for speed camera traps but it's also a bigger better speedo readout on the full screen :D than the 9T clocks ,also the trip count for fuel is great to as you can set the garmin as a fuel level as well as trip counter ,also great for talking on the phone whilst travelling and of course music ;):D:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mounted mine today. Didn't wanna cover up that piece of art handlebar clamp. Used a Ram mount on the left side of the clamp. I can see the gauges and that sweet clamp as well as my Garmin 550. Wiring was MUCH easier than I thought. It was easy to run the wires alongside existing ones (left side), and keep it hidden. Used the positive battery point and a steel on steel (lots of aluminum on this bike, especially under the seat) bolt under the aluminum hump just about 8" aft of the battery terminal. Plenty of wire in the Garmin cable for that.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Mounted mine today. Didn't wanna cover up that piece of art handlebar clamp. Used a Ram mount on the left side of the clamp. I can see the gauges and that sweet clamp as well as my Garmin 550. Wiring was MUCH easier than I thought. It was easy to run the wires alongside existing ones (left side), and keep it hidden. Used the positive battery point and a steel on steel (lots of aluminum on this bike, especially under the seat) bolt under the aluminum hump just about 8" aft of the battery terminal. Plenty of wire in the Garmin cable for that.
If your garmin power lead has an in line fuse could you not of put the negative lead to the negative terminal on the battery :confused:;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll take another picture in the daylight for a better perspective. Definitely agree the GPS is out of place on this type of bike, but i'm hooked on GPS these days, so i'm ok with it. I'll post up another picture with the GPS removed so you can see how it looks with just the mount in place.
Here's a picture with just the mount...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Yup, bottom left. I think the top two are a different bolt/thread size.
Cross9T
Just out of pure curiosity the three bolts provided by ram mount did you use the shortest one, and did it need cutting down to reduce the length for fitment ??
Cheers ;):D

1 - 20 of 312 Posts