BMW NineT Forum banner

261 - 280 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It doesn't sound like you're trying to understand. It sounds like you're bragging about how safe you *think* you are.
2WheelsGood welcome to the forum. Here we try to keep things civil.

I certainly do not think I am any safer than anyone else and it would be nonsensical to brag about how safe you are. It seems to me that looking at a map is a bit out dated and unnecessary when there are better alternatives especially given the difficulty of mounting on our bikes.

Anyway, enjoy your ride and keep the shiny side up. I think you will find that unlike some other forums, there is not really much bragging that goes on here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It seems to me that looking at a map is a bit out dated and unnecessary when there are better alternatives
No problem keeping things civil. I'm certain you can understand why your post seems amiss. This thread is 27 pages long all about how to mount a phone/GPS on the bike, so obviously many people don't think it's outdated or unnecessary. You have no interest in doing so, so to tell others that it's outdated/unnecessary seems out of place to me. There are many threads here that don't particularly interest me, so I don't comment on them.

As for the reasons for mounting a phone or GPS, there are many. For me personally, I have no interest in having a Sena (though you won't find me saying that in a Sena thread) in my helmet. The idea of listening to that voice tell me when to turn doesn't interest me in the least. And while that voice is a great supplement to seeing a map, it doesn't replace it. Especially for complex intersections.

Again, no problem with civility, I'm just not sure why you chimed in to tell everyone it's an unnecessary and outdated idea.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have been following this thread for over two years and I simply was asking the question why people wanted to see a map. Your response that you did not want a voice in your ear makes sense.

Slow day and I figured I would ask a question.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
So, call me crazy but I don't ever look at my phone when riding. I use google maps and have it talk to me through the Sena bluetooth in my helmet. This setup has always worked out fine for me and helps me keep my eyes on the road.

Is it necessary to look at the map when riding?

I have a sena as well, and on other bikes always had a mobile phone mount as well.

I didn't grow up here in Melbourne, so I find having GPS navigation useful. Generally, I prefer seeing the map visually, but I do use the voice command option as well.

For me the difference is that the map generally does a better job of letting me anticipate (e.g., get in the correct lane) than just voice commands.

The other big issue is that my sena doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence as it drops out occasionally leaving me wondering "if I haven't heard anything for a few minutes is it due to the route staying the same or that the sena has dropped out?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts
***EDIT***

For me the difference is that the map generally does a better job of letting me anticipate (e.g., get in the correct lane) than just voice commands.

***EDIT***
I have to say I agree with this. I tend to use my sat nav when going somewhere where I have little/no knowledge of, so its good to be able to see what to expect ahead so you can get in the right lane or navigate a complex road junction or roundabout. My satnav also doubles as a music player and has tyre pressure monitoring capability so it makes sense to have the satnav on the bike rather than tucked away in my jacket or tank bag.

Each to their own though, whatever solution works for the individual.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
My dealer installed a relay next to the terminals. My GPS is wired to relay. This has the effect of powering down the GPS when the ignition is switched off so as not to drain the battery.

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts
My dealer installed a relay next to the terminals. My GPS is wired to relay. This has the effect of powering down the GPS when the ignition is switched off so as not to drain the battery.

There is a dedicated GPS socket under the fuel tank that powers down using CANBUS. No need for a relay and the wiring is very discrete. No drain to the battery after CANBUS shuts power down about a minute after the ignition is turned off. Time consuming but easy DIY job.

Reactions: Brendan Muldoon

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
There is a dedicated GPS socket under the fuel tank that powers down using CANBUS. No need for a relay and the wiring is very discrete. No drain to the battery after CANBUS shuts power down about a minute after the ignition is turned off. Time consuming but easy DIY job.

This one ?.

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
@Brendan Muldoon

No mate, there is a different socket cable tied to the frame under the left bottom lip of the fuel tank.

See this link (and the link indicated in my post for more information).

Hope this helps. let me know if you need any more info. :)

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/electronics/55122-gps-nine-t-thread-merged-20.html#post466145

Thanks for that link, I did have a look but could t see it, unless it's hidden under the tank.

Perhaps 2015 models come standard with the new socket wired to the CANBUS. looks like a mini cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
2018 BMW Urban GS
57 Posts
Just being cautious!

I have purchased the required plug to wire up my Garmin device to the dedicated canbus plug just below the headstock as identified in earlier posts on this thread.

My question is can I (should I) remove the in line fuse, voltage regulator etc ...i.e. cut the wire to the left of cylindrical device (not sure what that is?) and merely wire up what is the black and red wire to the correct spades in the OEM plug that I have purchased (I understand that the third spade is left blank and not used). Please see image below of my Garmin wiring loom.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have purchased the required plug to wire up my Garmin device to the dedicated canbus plug just below the headstock as identified in earlier posts on this thread.

My question is can I (should I) remove the in line fuse, voltage regulator etc ...i.e. cut the wire to the left of cylindrical device (not sure what that is?) and merely wire up what is the black and red wire to the correct spades in the OEM plug that I have purchased (I understand that the third spade is left blank and not used). Please see image below of my Garmin wiring loom.

Regards

Dave
I just connected my Zumo 350 to the BMW CAN bus plug. I just removed the original ring shoe connectors and kept the rest.
I dont know how the Garmin unit handles the power, if it handles a bigger voltage span. After the voltage regulator I think you get 5 volts and from the BMW I suppose you get 12 volts. So my 5 .... small coins is to keep most of it.

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts

Regards

Dave
The large cylindrical thing is a noise supressor and it should be left in place.

Whatever you do, DO NOT cut to the left of the supressor. This will remove the voltage converter and as a result you would probably fry the GPS. The converter takes the 12V from the bike and drops it to the 5V that the GPS unit uses.

If it were me I would leave the in-line fuse in place, even though the canbus system (I think) has electronic over-current protection built-in. Play it double-safe if you like.

I would do as @sir.tooby says and just cut off the ends ends of the connectors that were originally meant to connect directly to the battery and wire them to the plug you bought and all should be well.

Reactions: sir.tooby

·
Registered
2018 BMW Urban GS
57 Posts
The large cylindrical thing is a noise supressor and it should be left in place.

Whatever you do, DO NOT cut to the left of the supressor. This will remove the voltage converter and as a result you would probably fry the GPS. The converter takes the 12V from the bike and drops it to the 5V that the GPS unit uses.

If it were me I would leave the in-line fuse in place, even though the canbus system (I think) has electronic over-current protection built-in. Play it double-safe if you like.

I would do as @sir.tooby says and just cut off the ends ends of the connectors that were originally meant to connect directly to the battery and wire them to the plug you bought and all should be well.
Dave/Sir Toby

Many thanks, your advice is much appreciated. I will report if all is successful!

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
234 Posts
I put mine GPS here. Made the ball, got tired of waiting on the one I ordered...

The holder of the GPS is upp side down in this picture

With GPS and connected to the bike

261 - 280 of 312 Posts