BMW NineT Forum banner

Do you want to be a part of this group buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just spoke with Chris at BrenTuning, as I am getting ready to buy the handheld stage 2 tuner for my bike. He offered up another opportunity for us to do a group buy. This time, it will include the 2014-2016 as well as the 2017+ R Nine T model handheld units. If we can get 10 of us in the group buy, he will discount the units $100. If we are able to get 20 or more, then he can see about an even greater discount. I don't know about everyone else, but BrenTuning is pretty much the best in the business from things I have heard. This could be a great opportunity for anyone that wants to get more out of the camhead twin that we all love! Don't forget, even with a stock exhaust, this tune will still make more power across the rev range, and it will take the exceedingly lean factory tune, and richen it up a bit. This means that on top of making more power and torque, your bike should even run a bit cooler. So, who's in?

·
Administrator
11,511 Posts
I'll allow this group buy as it takes in the new range of 2017 and later bikes as well as the earlier ones (which already has had a group buy). This will be the final Group Buy from Bren which will be allowed on this forum.

Bren will have to become a Forum Vendor if they want to conduct further promotions after this one. We have to have a level playing here and respect for the Forum Vendors who pay good money to be able to promote on here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll allow this group buy as it takes in the new range of 2017 and later bikes as well as the earlier ones (which already has had a group buy). This will be the final Group Buy from Bren which will be allowed on this forum.

Bren will have to become a Forum Vendor if they want to conduct further promotions after this one. We have to have a level playing here and respect for the Forum Vendors who pay good money to be able to promote on here.
Understood, and thank you for allowing this one! I'll be sure to convey to BrenTuning that any future offers must be conducted as an official Forum Vender. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Hi,
Assuming $100 discount, what would this hand held thingy cost, excluding shipping?
What are the pros and cons.
Regards,Ken.
PS. Did look at Bren’s site but couldn’t see much about this H H Unit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,
Assuming $100 discount, what would this hand held thingy cost, excluding shipping?
What are the pros and cons.
Regards,Ken.
PS. Did look at Bren’s site but couldn’t see much about this H H Unit.
The stage 2 handheld is typically $795, though I just checked the BrenTuning site to verify, and they currently have the price knocked down to $715.50. I will have to ask Chris at BrenTuning to verify, but I suppose that would mean that we could get it for $615.50. If not, we could still get it for $695 if the $100 discount was off of the normal cost.

As for the pros and cons, it's relatively subjective, but here is my take on it.

Pros: Higher power across the rev range, higher torque across the rev range, cooler running engine (a result of the richer mix), higher redline, enhanced/smoother throttle response, smoother low end fueling, total of three fuel maps (stock tune plus two tailored tunes included with BrenTuning Handheld purchase), the ability to read codes from the ECM, and the system is diagnostically invisible.

Cons: You must have the ECM updated to newest software before using the handheld & remap back to stock each time the bike is serviced at the dealership (if they updated the ECM with an aftermarket tune, it could lock the handheld).

All in all, I see a great value in the BrenTuning Stage 2 Handheld. I should also note, I'm not trying to sell it, as I'm going to buy whether there is enough interest in the group buy or not. I do however think this could benefit a few folks that may have been on the fence.

I will also PM you the URL for the BrenTuning Unit.

@Silver shadow It's a great deal if we have enough interest!

@radracer6 Glad to hear it! Hopefully we can get some more buy in!

·
Administrator
11,511 Posts
The Bren tune is brilliant! More power everywhere and the mid range dip feels totally gone. Smooth throttle pick-up, especially at low speed. Basically this upgrades the engine to what BMW probably would have produced if emissions regs didn’t get in the way.

For openness I should say I have the previous handheld model and have no affiliation with Bren apart from being a satisfied customer. I’m honestly amazed that more people haven’t signed up for this offer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
The stage 2 handheld is typically $795, though I just checked the BrenTuning site to verify, and they currently have the price knocked down to $715.50. I will have to ask Chris at BrenTuning to verify, but I suppose that would mean that we could get it for $615.50. If not, we could still get it for $695 if the $100 discount was off of the normal cost.

As for the pros and cons, it's relatively subjective, but here is my take on it.

Pros: Higher power across the rev range, higher torque across the rev range, cooler running engine (a result of the richer mix), higher redline, enhanced/smoother throttle response, smoother low end fueling, total of three fuel maps (stock tune plus two tailored tunes included with BrenTuning Handheld purchase), the ability to read codes from the ECM, and the system is diagnostically invisible.

Cons: You must have the ECM updated to newest software before using the handheld & remap back to stock each time the bike is serviced at the dealership (if they updated the ECM with an aftermarket tune, it could lock the handheld).

All in all, I see a great value in the BrenTuning Stage 2 Handheld. I should also note, I'm not trying to sell it, as I'm going to buy whether there is enough interest in the group buy or not. I do however think this could benefit a few folks that may have been on the fence.

I will also PM you the URL for the BrenTuning Unit.

@Silver shadow It's a great deal if we have enough interest!

@radracer6 Glad to hear it! Hopefully we can get some more buy in!
That’s a bit too rich for me just now. I’ve only done 800 miles and that much money would be too much before deciding to definitely keeping this bike.
Not saying the tuner is overpriced, just that it’s more than I want to splash.
Thanks and regards,Ken.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
408 Posts
This seems like a pretty significant Con to me. I'm not sure what the latest ECM update is, but I don't think my 2017 has ever been updated. I'd also be suspect that doing so would overwrite my bike's LED settings which have since been removed from the bike as an option.

I guess I'll need to contact Bren directly if I am serious about this.

·
Administrator
11,511 Posts
I’m skeptical that the ECU has to have the latest firmware.... on my handheld (admittedly an older one) all the handheld does is reads and stores the map (whatever version it is) and then flashes the Bren map to the module. You can revert to whatever the stock map that was originally on your bike at any time. My understanding at least, but I’d recommend confirming it with Bren.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe they have to stipulate that for all of their products, as they produce tuners for newer, more high tech bikes that are still in the early market phases. During those initial months or years, new ECM updates can be relatively frequent from the manufacturer as 'bugs' and/or inefficiencies are discovered. I think the stipulation to have the bike updated to the latest factory tune is made to protect all parties.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The v.2 Brentune is pretty brilliant. It sounds like it pops open your flapper valves as well as the other enhancements. As an added bonus: the boy racers will not hear me brag about 60mpg with a Brentune profile (Lucky them) since 43 is where I landed after the flash.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Will the Bren Tuner work on several bikes? I have three (3) R 9T's and wonder if it would work on all three.

'14 Standard, '18 Urban GS & '20 /5

·
Registered
57 Posts
I believe Brentune is very pointed about the Handheld being bike specific; however, speaking to them would offer more surety on that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@BugginsScrambler I just reached out to Chris at BrenTuning, and I will let you know what his response is the moment I get it. Regardless, we still need more buy in before the group-buy discount is even a factor. So, hopefully others jump on board!

@JeffsBMW I also asked Chris if one unit would work for all three of your 9Ts. I do however believe that @||||@|||| is correct, as typically these units are 'married' to an individual bike. That said, Chris should let us know for sure. By the way, it makes me quite happy to know other folks felt the need for more than one. I've been looking at a Racer to make into a track bike, and I've been told that I'm out of my mind for that. Haha

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@BugginsScrambler Currently all of the BrenTuning Handhelds are on sale at a 10% discount. If we are able to get 10 members for the group-buy, they will be able to do 20% so long as we do the group buy in February. After February, the sale price ends, so our group-buy discount wouldn't be as significant. So, 20% off of the regular price of $795 is $636, which is a fantastic price in my opinion.

@JeffsBMW I was able to confirm that each bike would need its own handheld. There is no way around that unfortunately, as they are locked 1 per VIN.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.