BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I’ve searched and trawled the forum for an answer to this and haven’t spotted one yet.

I’ve installed a GS rear hugger in an attempt to reduce spray coming off the rear wheel; in this regard it works great. However I am concerned that there is not much clearance (i.e. space) between the rear licence plate holder and the mudguard, such that if the suspension were to take a hit, it could shear off the licence plate (or worse). Hopefully the photograph below explains it better.

The question I have is, has anyone installed an Evotech Tail Tidy as well as a GS rear mudguard to see if this improves the clearances between the two? I’m finding it difficult to visualise whether it would make the situation better or worse, and just wanted to check the forum before proceeding with a purchase and finding out the expensive way. Alternatively, if someone is really good with photoshop...

EDIT: And same question goes whether Evotech Tail Tidy is compatible with BMW rear bag also? Assuming indicators are in the same place so should not interfere...

Above photo is from a forum member who has installed Evotech Tail Tidy

·
Registered
2019 BMW R NineT (Classic)
104 Posts
Just an idea...

why don’t u put your license plate on the mudguard so that you can clear the space you are worried about ?

combined with the Evotech tidy i mean or with a tidy that allows the plate fitted in a different position.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
I don't have an Evotech tail tidy but I do have a Motobox one which will put the number plate in roughly the same place as whats on my bike.

I had a slightly smaller than standard number fitted (7 x 5 inch) and have had the number plate touch the rear wheel and shear a bit of the bottom of the perspex number plate off. The bike was being pushed fairly hard at the time so the suspension must've been at or very near full compression. Luckily rear tyre only suffered minor cosmetic damage and the very shallow scar was gone within a few hundred miles. Could have been a lot worse. I personally got around the problem by bending the rear number plate bracket to a slightly more horizontal position which solved the issue for me. Now it could be that I had the rear preload adjusted wrongly which made the difference, I don't know, I got the suspension swapped out and set by a professional. Anyhow I've left the number plate position as I adjusted it and haven't had an issue since. This worked for me using a Motobox unit, it might be different with an Evotech, I've never seen one in the flesh.

Perhaps you could get a person to sit pillion whilst stationary with you (or someone else) onboard the rider seat and see how far the rear sags and that'll let you see the clearances approaching full compression.

So bending the number plate bracket (if needed) might work if clearance is tight, but I can't say for sure.

Another solution would be to do what @Error Flynn says, another would be to install a side mount number plate.

Obviously err on the side of caution whatever you decide. Don't compromise the bike's safety.

Perhaps some member can chime in that has the Evotech tidy?

Reactions: Alfodr

·
Registered
49 Posts
G'Day,

I had a similar clearance problem. Our number plates are way smaller and it still touched. I tried spacing the plate out backwards with a 6mm perspex spacer, but that did not help either. I removed it at in the end. I did not want to cause any damage if it touches the rear of the number plate bracket during a full compression bump. I will re-look at it once I fit a set of aftermarket suspension. I suspect with a 15mm raise the problem should not occur.

Cheers, Pete

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an idea...

why don’t u put your license plate on the mudguard so that you can clear the space you are worried about ?

combined with the Evotech tidy i mean or with a tidy that allows the plate fitted in a different position.
Hi there mate. Yes, this is something I may have to consider in due course, my main concern would be having to wire up the electrics to move the licence plate light down onto the hugger to keep it legal. I’ve seen that you can get a side mounted licence case holder too, but it uses the same mounts as the GS rear hugger so fitting both may not work. Ideally I’d like to keep the indicators and brake light at seat level so that it is more visible to other road users (back to BladyDave’s on not compromising safety). Ill do a bit more research and then see how things play out.

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just fitted Evotech Tail Tidy to see if this would improve clearance with the rear GS mudguard...answer is yes, the clearance is much improved. Though perhaps not perfect, so am still going to keep an an eye out given that there could still be some contact if the rear shock bottoms out. I can‘t imagine many situations where this would happen, but I’ve lost licence plates before due to this. Rear BMW soft case fits fine. Not sure about reflector that comes with the Evotect Tail Tidy kit...might lose it at some point as I don’t like the look of it dangling from the licence plate. Admittedly the bike looks shorter with the tail tidy but maybe thats just because I’m used to seeing it with the surfboard at the back.

Before and after photos.

·
Registered
2019 BMW R NineT (Classic)
104 Posts
May I ask... the Evotech tidy allows you if you don’t want to place the license there to take out the plate holder so that you can use it only for the oem brake and turn signals or it’s a compact unit ?

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
573 Posts
Sorry - got to say it ... my OCD is triggered when I see license plates with white backing.I have to have a plate with black back side.

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
May I ask... the Evotech tidy allows you if you don’t want to place the license there to take out the plate holder so that you can use it only for the oem brake and turn signals or it’s a compact unit ?
I believe it probably could do. The licence plate holder is a separate component of the overall assembly, so you could leave it off. I’ve taken some photos of the manual to illustrate this hypothesis. However I would strongly suggest writing to Evotech first to confirm this before going ahead with a purchase; there may be something I am missing.

The OEM LED indicators are fitted to this unit, which is separate to the licence plate holder which comes as its own modular unit (page 30)

Licence plate holder is held in place by the screw ends of the rear break light - potentially this step could be omitted if you just wanted a tail tidy without the licence plate (question, not statement)?

As you can see, licence plate holder sandwiched between the rear brake light and underbelly plate. If you remove it, the assembly still comes together albeit the clearances may be slightly different.

The LED indicator holder (page 28) slips onto the underbelly plate (page 31) to complete the rear brake light and LED assembly.

Reactions: Error Flynn

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Since you have a G/S rear end by now, why not take it out on some Moto-Cross track with the high jumps, do a few of those and see whether anything has touched? If not, your fine.😂
LOL. Lovely thought; unfortunately I don’t heal as quickly as I used to as a youngster when I rode trial bikes through the Italian Alps (mostly a fantic 50cc two stroke, similar to the one pictured below). After a days ride, there was much soreness in the legs from riding standing up and inevitably dropping the bike a few times (as well as occasionally hugging a tree)! Good times.

Reactions: rocket rick

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry - got to say it ... my OCD is triggered when I see license plates with white backing.I have to have a plate with black back side.
Mine will be black soon enough after a few days of riding it in the rain and mucky roads! Out of interest, do you buy the plate directly with a black back side (don’t think I’ve ever seen this before) or apply some sort of cover (vinyl wrapping or similar)? Oddly enough I’ve just ordered an aluminium licence plate given there are quite rare here in the UK and thought it would go with the aluminium tank look. Told a friend I‘d got it to reduce the weight of the bike and he rolled his eyes (way too easy to wind him up).

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
148 Posts
LOL. Lovely thought; unfortunately I don’t heal as quickly as I used to as a youngster when I rode trial bikes through the Italian Alps (mostly a fantic 50cc two stroke, similar to the one pictured below). After a days ride, there was much soreness in the legs from riding standing up and inevitably dropping the bike a few times (as well as occasionally hugging a tree)! Good times.

View attachment 136790
Italian Alps - one of the best places on this planet! Gorgeous food, diverse cultures, stunning beauty. Don’t tell anybody!

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
573 Posts
Mine will be black soon enough after a few days of riding it in the rain and mucky roads! Out of interest, do you buy the plate directly with a black back side (don’t think I’ve ever seen this before) or apply some sort of cover (vinyl wrapping or similar)? Oddly enough I’ve just ordered an aluminium licence plate given there are quite rare here in the UK and thought it would go with the aluminium tank look. Told a friend I‘d got it to reduce the weight of the bike and he rolled his eyes (way too easy to wind him up).
Number Plates Express supply them with black back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts