BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know if the lithium battery application for automotive are issues free, for now I don't have any input about it, but comes to mind all the troubles with some B787 and Samsung phones...

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
I don't know if the lithium battery application for automotive are issues free, for now I don't have any input about it, but comes to mind all the troubles with some B787 and Samsung phones...

No offense mate, but are you really suggesting that because of an airplane and a phone battery problem you are against lithium batteries for bikes?

I just googled, they've been used in bikes for a decade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
BMW OEM batteries are no good. Also the DOHC models have a fairly thin starter cable (from battery to starter.) This could result in losing starter capacity on a warm engine.
I once replaced this cable (for testing purposes) by a temporary thicker cable and this improved the starter rev's on a warm engine. Cold didn't seem to make much difference.
It was a problem that first roared his head on the K1200 engine's, where the starter cables were replaced during recall.
Battery with higher starting amps will also solve your problem or you can leave everything original but keep the battery in excellent shape (> 12.85V). this will also prevent it from happening.
Mine had the original battery and cable, but I always kept my bike on an Optimate when not used.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Probably a dumb question but with Optimate 4 using pigytail connection do you have the charger on can bus or normal setting? Or will either settin still charge ok?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have been told that you cannot use the Optimate4 with a Lithium battery, anybody?

·
Registered
386 Posts
..have the '14 - always sounded a bit labored to me turning over btw - yet the battery is still original and the motoscope tells me its fine at 12.9v - awhile back it wasn't holding a charge - tightened up the terminals and added a smear of dielectric grease - been ok since - I plug a charger into the side socket if its going to stand for awhile - looked at the Lithium batteries recently - the regular charger is not compatible, however I understand they hold a charge longer - I'm keen to try one - curious why manual indicates not to..

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,953 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
21 - 33 of 33 Posts