BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take my bike to cannons in Witham Essex for its valves and fluids service at 12 thousand miles last September and basically it sits back in my garage till last week as I have another bike that I ride through winter plus the lockdown.
so took it out for a 50 mile run local of course and even though it’s dry seem to be leaning it over quite a slippery day,stopped at a BP to fill up only to find my back wheel is covered in oil that seems to be coming from the final drive lovey.
took it home for inspection and find it looks like the main drive seal is leaking so drained the oil and find it looks like metallic paint and the drain plugs full of swarth and metal shavings.
so not sure what they did on the service but doubt they drained the differential although they must of filled it (over filled it ) as it blew the main seal .
don’t see any point phoning the dealer as it’s now six months later other than to complain to the service manager although he was a smarmy slimy character.
not a good Easter well bike wise anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
672 Posts
If it was me - I'd certainly be asking the dealer if they usually just top up or just change the diff oil.
The service schedule is clear it should be changed.
They are a BMW dealership so you should expect them to know what they are doing.

Show them the photos of what you've found and ask for their opinion.
They've serviced the bike - and you will have paid top money for that no doubt, so you should expect it to have been done properly.
Does your receipt show the diff oil service on it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had my drive train painted, for which I drained the oil etcetc. On reassembling the bits I forgot the O-Ring in the ABS/Speed sensors O-Ring. Now, they normally would not touch that on an oil change, but that still might be the source of the leak. The chips on the magnet on the other hand aren´t looking that good. BTW the oil in my bike was blue and even so after 20000 kilometers.

Reactions: Nightrider

·
Registered
258 Posts
What's up with BMW dealers giving 🤬 service lately? (Also reading the other thread about the screwed enginebars)

I see no other solution for the dealer than mounting new seals and replacing any damaged parts. They are an official BMW dealer and got protocols for services.
If they do not comply, contact BMW motorrad Germany directly, they got costumer loyalty and service high up their "To do" lists.

There's a KM/miles count on the service form right? You can show BMW you did not ride the bike inbetween.

Dont care if there's a "Slimy" character at the dealer; he works for BMW. He got no say in this.

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts
How old is your bike, mate?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was me - I'd certainly be asking the dealer if they usually just top up or just change the diff oil.
The service schedule is clear it should be changed.
They are a BMW dealership so you should expect them to know what they are doing.

Show them the photos of what you've found and ask for their opinion.
They've serviced the bike - and you will have paid top money for that no doubt, so you should expect it to have been done properly.
Does your receipt show the diff oil service on it?
Hi Ian yes it had all the fluids changed and the valves checked and I will be contacting them but I don’t expect any joy as the service managers aptitude seemed more as a sales person then a mechani.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
332 Posts
There's a few strange things in this: the correct oil is Hypoid Gear Oil G3 BMW P/N 83 22 2 460 128 and the rear box takes 180ml of it and it is blue. Your invoice shows Syntrax oil, quantity 1.5. Syntrax is Castroil, is not the BMW recommended oil (it may fit the spec, don't know) and comes in 1L bottles. They charged 1.5L when the box takes in 180ml only?

On the other hand, those metal bits in the drain plug look really concerning.

Lots of questions to ask your dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could the tech have cross threaded the fill or drain plug on installation? One of those shavings looks like the result of a cross thread.
No the plug unscrewed fine and went back in fine as well but good point

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a few strange things in this: the correct oil is Hypoid Gear Oil G3 BMW P/N 83 22 2 460 128 and the rear box takes 180ml of it and it is blue. Your invoice shows Syntrax oil, quantity 1.5. Syntrax is Castroil, is not the BMW recommended oil (it may fit the spec, don't know) and comes in 1L bottles. They charged 1.5L when the box takes in 180ml only?

On the other hand, those metal bits in the drain plug look really concerning.

Lots of questions to ask your dealer.
Thanks for that info the wrong or not recommend oil is in my favour plus the 1.5 litre of it as I thought over filled
cheers

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts
The first port of call is now the Service Manager at the dealership, I think..... Please let us know how you get on.

If the Service Manager doesn't take the matter seriously, in your shoes I'd try the dealership manager and if that still gets you nowhere, then contact BMW.

Reactions: Nightrider

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree with the others, contact the service manager and the general manager and show them your photos. I would also insist that the blown oil seal be documented in the dealer's service record for your bike and have them repair it.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
332 Posts
Yep, there's a parts and labour warranty that should cover you and you will be able to prove that you rode it very little. The dealer record and your invoice should show the mileage when it was serviced.

They may argue though that you should have taken the bike to them in the first place.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
As others have noticed, your bill clearly states changing of bevel gear oil......and that they have charged for 1.5lt of Syntrax.

Castrol Syntrax is suitable for both the gearbox which takes 800cc (IIRC) and the final drive which takes 180cc (IIRC) totalling 980cc.......so both can be changed with a 1lt bottle......so why the 'ell have they (over)charged you for 1.5lt?

Going by the murky grey colour of the drained oil it doesn't look like it's only 50 or so miles old to me.....which begs the question...was it actually changed during the service!!

Also, the amount and sharpness of swarf on that drain plug could suggest the possibility of the main FD seal being lacerated by it, causing the leak.

I feel for you @Nightrider and hope you get a positive outcome very soon.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If the mileage is not very much higher than when it left the shop that should add some weight behind your complaint.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spoke to the service manager and I use that term loosely he said it needs to be booked in for an inspection which you will have to pay for and then we’ll see what will see his words
I take that as you’ll pay what we’ll say.
so the parts £30 seal that is I’ve got a puller so i will do it myself and know it’s done and not take it to the snake pit for a bite.
I would take it further as you all have suggested but I can see a new diff needed if I go down there road. shame but big companies care little It seems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts