BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta get a remap...
I'll be exhanging the stock exhaust to the Akra high end plus down pipe.
So a remap is a must with this machine.
Anyone in the NorthWest used the above lads.

·
Administrator
11,353 Posts
Not heard of this bunch before, have you spoken with them?

·
Administrator
11,353 Posts
I can't see any specific mentions of the BMW R nineT in their custom remap section, though there is the R1200 listed (no mention of what model year).

Lots of PCV info, but nothing again that links directly to our bike's engine.

If @Tazbone could let us know if he has has had specific contact with the company regarding our bikes, that would be very useful.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok here goes so keep up.

Ive now spoken to 3 tuners ...all with good reputations.
Hammer n tongs have stated newer models of the 9t CANNOT be broken into due to BMW locking the ECU.
According to the euro4/5 regulations this is why and its mostly across the board with all manufactures with new bikes....cars too.
Another tuner here in the northwest has stated the same.
Only hilltop is stating he can tune the new models BUT he offers a refund if one is not happy....that tells me he too isnt 100% sure on his tune and i wouldnt want my ECU flashed with a tune that isnt 100% workable.
Im not questioning HT at all ....its just my opinion.
So i guess until someone has mastered a tune and its 100% ill wait with baited breath.
Dunno if anyone globally has anything to add????

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you did go for HT.. would be worth going for before and after dyno to show changes?
3rd party dyno would be even better?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
If you did go for HT.. would be worth going for before and after dyno to show changes?
3rd party dyno would be even better?
I think it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to get every last HP and shed ounces then before/after Dyno results can help do that. When I was researching Bren Tuning I saw a video on YouTube of BMW racer Nate Kerns and his mods. In that video he stated he never understood why people got their ecu remapped until he got to try one and loves it. I don't remember which one he went with. Or if you are the type of person who likes having the coolest tech and fastest bike.

My bike is a 2014. I purchased a handheld tuner from BT. No dynos. The difference in power is very noticeable at higher RPMs. The performance was clear to me the first time I floored it. It's big enough big a difference I don't care what the numbers are. I'm happy with it.

OSHMO has remapping that sound similar to BT. I live in the US and HT's remote mapping did not seem to have as many happy customers. I didn't want to do mail order. I think there are one or two users on her who got HT and ask for their money back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want alot of ponys.....since owning the 9t (2 weeks + 400miles later) i would like a smoother gear change and instant torque once i pull on the throttle.

I am wanting to change the stock exhaust to a high rise side Akra in carbon.
With that change the bike will be alot lighter in weight and with the tune,i should find it a good match.

Having a before and after readout would be costly so i dont think i could take that route ... sorry bud.

It seems pre 17/18 models seem able to tune...later models are the pains in the ass.

·
Administrator
11,353 Posts
Ok here goes so keep up.

Ive now spoken to 3 tuners ...all with good reputations.
Hammer n tongs have stated newer models of the 9t CANNOT be broken into due to BMW locking the ECU.
According to the euro4/5 regulations this is why and its mostly across the board with all manufactures with new bikes....cars too.
Another tuner here in the northwest has stated the same.
Only hilltop is stating he can tune the new models BUT he offers a refund if one is not happy....that tells me he too isnt 100% sure on his tune and i wouldnt want my ECU flashed with a tune that isnt 100% workable.
Im not questioning HT at all ....its just my opinion.
So i guess until someone has mastered a tune and its 100% ill wait with baited breath.
Dunno if anyone globally has anything to add????
Certainly manufacturers are making it more and more difficult for the ECU map to be reflashed, and up to now the post 2016 heritage range of bikes are proving difficult to crack.

I know Bren are working on it, but so far haven't heard if they have had success. Up till you mentioned that Hilltop can tune the Euro 4 ECU I thought this was the case across the board. Thanks for the update on a company that's now willing to do a tune.

In Hilltop's defense they to my knowledge have always offered a no-quibble refund guarantee on their ECU flashes, this isn't a recent thing. Yes there is mixed opinion on HT in this forum, but to my knowledge the only person that ever asked for a refund got it without issue. Unfortunatley I can't remember who it was! D'Oh! There are others on the forum that are very pleased with HT's tune.

If you want to discuss the HT tune further in the forum you are welcome to post in the Hilltop Thread itself:

https://www.ninetowners.com/forum/engine-tuning-performance/107937-hilltop-motorcycles-ecu-remap.html

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I've read that thread dave.....i did call HT soon after too who did relay me with their tune and what it can achieve.
The posting scenario is not for me for ive always done the rolling road route.
I do also have a 2yr warranty which HT stated their tune is stealth and the dealer wouldnt find it but could overwrite it if they flash an upgrade.
If bmw have maxed out the data on the ecu then how can HT fit one in? ...theres a question right there i guess.
HT charge £360 for a postal tune....if i desire it and have no other option once i fit the said above mods i'll call HT for their postal tune but assure a money back guarantee if im not happy ect.

Point to note here too....no doubt peeps are aware of a new restriction to car speeds due out in around 2020-22....i just wonder how it will affect us bike addicts.

·
Administrator
11,353 Posts
Bren is flashing the EURO4 R9T's. They just don't offer a "handheld" for them like the '14-'16 EURO 3 bikes with the BMSK ECU.
Happy to stand corrected! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I personally wouldn’t touch them with a bargepole. A couple of years ago They ‘serviced’ some Ohlins forks on a Ducati of mine, they seemed ok despite the anodising being pulled off by their ham fisted antics. Forks failed within a year and the ohlins guys who I opted to use the next time round said someone had made a right mess of them.

A close friend of mine is also in dispute with them currently about damage to a KTM during a simple exhaust fix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts