BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I'm prepared to be told that this is a silly question. However, I see lots of threads/comments/queries about what aftermarket bars might give a better ergonomic solution, and many other discussions regarding which bar risers might be best on the 9T. However, I don't seem to see much - or anything - about making simple ergonomic adjustments to the stock bars - that is, just turning them a bit to make them more rider-tuned.

I'd quite like to bring my bars a little closer, and am wondering if there's any reason i shouldn't turn them slightly backwards to achieve this (obviously making sure that there were no issues with regard to cables, and potentially making a consequent adjustment to the lever angles). Am I missing something here, though, and if not why don't more people do it?

Registered
I'd quite like to bring my bars a little closer, and am wondering if there's any reason i shouldn't turn them slightly backwards to achieve this (obviously making sure that there were no issues with regard to cables, and potentially making a consequent adjustment to the lever angles). Am I missing something here, though, and if not why don't more people do it?

These issues, if I am not mistaken, are the nub of the problem. 馃槙

Reactions: learningtofly

Registered
In an effort at "better fit", I had rotated the handlebars backward a couple of degrees (within the restriction of cables + lever & switch positions).
That didn't do much and I ended up buying and fitting a pair of risers ("riser" details, in a previous post). The stock cables used with the risers of my choice.

"be free from the gravity of expectation"

Premium Member
Learningtofly,
Turning the handlebars does pretty much zero as far as bringing the grips nearer the rider.

I have 2 sets of risers on my Pure. No issue with cable/ line lengths.
Ken.

Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
Now, I'm prepared to be told that this is a silly question. However, I see lots of threads/comments/queries about what aftermarket bars might give a better ergonomic solution, and many other discussions regarding which bar risers might be best on the 9T. However, I don't seem to see much - or anything - about making simple ergonomic adjustments to the stock bars - that is, just turning them a bit to make them more rider-tuned.

Tony, I just went through a major change from clip-ons to Rizoma MA011 on my bike, see here: Handlebars: Compare dimensions of the Rizoma clip-ons...
I also just tested the aftermarket bar of my buddy鈥檚 NineT, which has a different width and beta-angle (cropping?), as Rizoma defines it. They all feel different. For example, my new bar has an overall narrower width than stock. Plus the lean angle forward is 鈥渟portier鈥 than stock, for sure. As my buddy said, it feels 鈥渇irmer鈥, probably because you have a bit more weight on the front. That route would probably be the opposite of what you want to achieve here. I鈥榙 recommend you go to your local BMW dealer and just test-sit for a while. They usually have different handlebars and risers mounted and you will see the different feel. Try even the other models! The GSs usually show it pretty well. Or see if there鈥檚 a fanclub somewhere in your neigborhood and pay attention to different variations. Bringing the bars closer by 鈥渏ust turning鈥: I鈥檓 not sure, depending on whether your switch controls are drilled into the OEM bar, whether you can turn it enough without having to redrill the bar. Otherwise your starter button and indicator might end up being a bit low. Guess you鈥檇 have to check by taking them off. The lever and mirror angles are not the issue, and the cable lengths shouldn鈥檛 be, either. I鈥檇 recommend Wunderlich鈥榮 various solutions for bar raisers, they usually also explain the benefits well on their website.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. It's certainly sounding like there's little point in pursuing any kind of meaningful handlebar adjustment. The options are therefore going to be different bars or the stock bars with risers fitted.

@Norbi, I like your suggestion of engaging with my local dealer so may do that too.

Registered
Yep, definitely adjust your bars before spending money, I rotated mine "up" when I got the bike 2 years ago and it made a big difference with shoulder pain - and I don't even had bad shoulders but I was sore after the first 150 mile ride with the bars too low. However, I'm 6'1" so I have a decent reach already. I don't think I'd like this bike very much if I were shorter than 5'9".

The stock bars have a fair bit of sweep, so you will see a difference with rotating them. Just make sure you use a torque wrench and proper torque specs.

Just note that the higher the bars, the more weight you are going to have on your sit-bone area, which will affect the biomechanics of your core, hips, thighs and knees causing fatigue at first. But this is generally more comfortable than sitting forward which will activate your lower back muscles and upper neck more, if you already have tight hips like most desk-workers, it might amplify pain related to these muscles, which might trigger other back pain issues.

If you really want to see an improvement in your bikes ergonomics, start practicing yoga every other day for at least 30 minutes. Lots of great and free videos on Youtube. You absolutely will see an improvement after 30 days of practice. Essentially yoga is just fancy stretching and low-impact muscle activation. It's good for the mind and spirit too.

Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
Thanks guys. It's certainly sounding like there's little point in pursuing any kind of meaningful handlebar adjustment. The options are therefore going to be different bars or the stock bars with risers fitted.

@Norbi, I like your suggestion of engaging with my local dealer so may do that too.
Cool, just be careful not to bring an Adventure bike home ;-) They are tempting...

Premium Member
I still think it鈥檚 better to use risers rather than twisting the bars. With risers you can keep the bars in the same position, just higher.
Or, some (Me included) needed the bars to come nearer to the rider. Some risers have comeback as well as rise. Some just rise.
Ken.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
I still think it鈥檚 better to use risers rather than twisting the bars. With risers you can keep the bars in the same position, just higher.
Or, some (Me included) needed the bars to come nearer to the rider. Some risers have comeback as well as rise. Some just rise.
Ken.
Yeah, I think that this is the route I鈥檒l probably take.

Registered
How would that be more problematic than when fitting bar risers, though?

It depends on the extent to which you want to rotate the bar - but it seems that you have already seen the light judging by your post #7!

Registered
This is for the guys that have installed risers that raise and move handlebars closer to the rider.

Do you guys have any problems with raising the fuel tank and the handlebars getting in the way?

Premium Member
I don鈥檛 envisage having to raise the fuel tank, but, if it was necessary it鈥檚 no big deal to loosen the bars.
Ken.

Registered
This is for the guys that have installed risers that raise and move handlebars closer to the rider.

Do you guys have any problems with raising the fuel tank and the handlebars getting in the way?
I had exactly that issue after fitting the Hornig pulled-back risers (for a battery and air filter swap, so I don't envisage doing it again for three years). As others have said it's only a 10 min inconvenience.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts