BMW NineT Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2019, BMW R Nine t Scrambler
9 Posts
Thanks Dave, I´m not a skilled one but I followed step by step your guide and I got the result! it´s been a bit tough for me to find the right position of clamp & electric commands cause I installed Rizoma dragbar but your guide is amazing! thanks again

·
Registered
BMW R NineT 2017
7 Posts
I have successfully completed my swap from original handlebars to Rizoma MA011B’s and am pleased with the look and feel. Now will have to wait for this pesky virus thing to make riding more socially acceptable again.

Someone may find my method for drilling the holes to fit the grips useful. I liked the idea of a jig, but being too tight-fisted to pay for the tool mentioned previously, I decided to make my own version. I bought a 22mm munsen ring/hospital clamp on eBay (e.g. Brass munsen ring Bracket - 15mm, 22mm, 28mm, 35mm, 42mm, 54mm - Pipe Clips | eBay). It is intended for securing plumbing pipework to walls. I used a lathe to bore a 3.5mm hole down the middle of an M10 steel bolt. When fitted into the clamp, it provides a sufficiently accurate guide for drilling. I positioned the bars and the grips and marked the holes, then centre punched them. I chose to take bars off the bike to drill them as it allowed more control.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have discovered that the wiring/plug arrangement for the clutch side multi-function switch gear changed for the 2017 and later models. This will the reason why I struggled to follow the excellent instructions in this thread which suggest that the wires can be disconnected from the clutch side and the grip slid off.
The BMW Repair Manual uses a different method for the removal of the left hand grip for post 2017 models. In summary for the benefit of others who want to change the handlebars of their post 2017 (Classic) bikes:
1. Remove screw from under the rubber grip as per BaldyDave’s instructions.
2. Remove 2 rubber straps around wiring and clutch hose and cut cable tie holding wires behind headstock.
3. Cut cable tie on connector to clutch lever switch and remove plug.
4. Turn handlebars all the way to the left
5. Slide grip off bar with wires still attached.
Obviously reassembly is the reverse of these steps.
The rest of the original instructions in this thread are relevant to the post 2017 models.
sorry i just seen these messages...i didnt unplug the heated grips on the clutch side at all. i simply loosened the handlebars, slid then over to the right so i can slip the clutch side grip off without disconnecting anything. saved time and anxiety of unplugging electronic equipment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
sorry i just seen these messages...i didnt unplug the heated grips on the clutch side at all. i simply loosened the handlebars, slid then over to the right so i can slip the clutch side grip off without disconnecting anything. saved time and anxiety of unplugging electronic equipment.
i have a 2020 r ninet pure and i removed the handlebars twice now this way

81 - 87 of 87 Posts