BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process to switch from those very low “clip-ons” to “regular” handlebars. Here are some comparative pictures for those contemplating. Not “before-after”, but “at the same time”!

The measurements alone are sometimes difficult to compute...

“Diagonal”/from the rider’s perspective: ~5.5 inches=13,5 cm difference

“Horizontal”:

The mess in the front has to do with a parallel project (radar detector/park light wire tap with “smart cable” install), to be reported soon in this wonderful forum...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
768 Posts
Norbi,

Excellent job!

This is an invaluable comparison for anyone contemplating taking either direction with their handlebars. Thank you for taking the time to post this information.

BTW - are those aftermarket bars that you're going with (Rizoma or similar), Or OEM?

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ray, it’s all “Rizoma-galore”. That’s actually how the bike was advertised when I found it a month ago in CA. The first owner bought half their store. I‘ve always liked their stuff, walked around their booths at biker festivals but never could make sense of it, I guess because I’m originally a GS type of guy, riding overland, offroad and muddy quite a bit.
For my GS, my take is that the Touratech stuff makes more sense,
Wunderlich produces a ton of great function+design,
but Rizoma is pure Italian art.

With the NineT, I finally understand Rizoma. Beautiful stuff, but also expensive!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
768 Posts
Hey Norbi, I thought I saw some Rizoma bits. And I tend to agree with you that the Rizoma stuff is pure Italian art - even their packaging is beautiful.

"The first owner bought half their store.":LOL:

·
Registered
2016 R Nine T
18 Posts
Excellent @Norbi ... Now just waiting for rest of ur stuff to come from Berlin and we will have a look at the Endgame !! Cheers mate !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(De-)install advice: just be aware, that the Rizoma clip-ons are, other than products from other brands, a bit more difficult to install. You cannot split the ring in two parts, but have to slip them on the forks. For that, you will have to drop the forks, which means a solid center stand construction, get rid of the front wheel for weight release, which means unbolting the break calipers, having a special tool to remove the axle, plus a solid torque wrench To put it all together. It does take time and some unusual tools. It’s not a 30 min job, for sure. Plus, the two tiny screws that hold the controls (T8 Torx) also have a pretty hard-to-find fine thread which you ideally will have to find a thread-cutter for. It’s a project, as described by Baldy Dave extensively.

oh, and by the way: don’t think that you’ll be able to use your fancy $80 Rizoma bar ends with the new setup without getting different size Rizoma end adapters. That’d be too simple, right? Still love their stuff, but the gravitational black hole they’re able to create around your bank account is significant.

·
Registered
2016 R Nine T
18 Posts
Hi @Norbi .. wow. that sounds some real work on the machine.. until now i believed that rizoma were,as any other clip ons, not that much work.. taking the wheel off and forks, etc is too detailed.. I hope the end feeling of having a clip ons may take away the installation pains.. ( m saying people who love clip ons..:LOL: haha ) good luck finishing your project sir !! cheers - Roy

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roy, take a close look at your “triple clamp”/fork bridge. Mine is not original, I guess because of the Wilbers fork or styling preferences of the first owner. Maybe the original BMW comes off to the front, which would make things a lot easier: no front wheel removal, no fork drop. Still, you want to have a firm upright standing bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Norbi,

Excellent job!

This is an invaluable comparison for anyone contemplating taking either direction with their handlebars. Thank you for taking the time to post this information.

BTW - are those aftermarket bars that you're going with (Rizoma or similar), Or OEM?
These tag low rise flat mx bar is perfect for me.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts