BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone else considers the poor quality nut and bolt washer sub standard or indeed as others have stripped the threads , I've just replaced mine with a 20mm M4 Allen bolt and a T weld nut off eBay. Had to Dremel one end of the flange on the nut to make it fit but it only took a minute to sort.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
If anyone else considers the poor quality nut and bolt washer sub standard or indeed as others have stripped the threads , I've just replaced mine with a 20mm M4 Allen bolt and a T weld nut off eBay. Had to Dremel one end of the flange on the nut to make it fit but it only took a minute to sort.
Amazing! I pulled my headlight off yesterday and found the retaining mechanism to be broken. I was going to JB weld it, but this is genius. Time to go order this from McMaster before my earlier order ships for the day...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I changed my broken headlight yesterday and finally realized that the nut was damaged !!! Impossible to screw everything back...two hours from the MOT . Found a spare one in my spare box but have to say that 1-this system is awful 2-the nut and screw are very poor quality.

So...thanks for the advice

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just tried to reassemble mine and the thread is stripped. Very poor design and execution in that part 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
R Nine T, 2019, Black Storm Metallic
26 Posts
For anyone else like me, struggling with the square nut having become stripped. I bought some M4 wing nuts from B&Q and they will awkwardly sit on top of the small bracket that normally holds the square nut and do the job fine:

Diall M4 Carbon steel Wing Nut, Pack of 10 | DIY at B&Q

Also I don't know about anyone else but my bolt had a gash in the thread about a 1/3 up from the bottom. It meant that when I unscrewed the nut all the way off the bolt it ruined the nut thread. I think it may be there intentionally to stop the nut coming completely loose should it untighten. But if you want to separate the bolt from the headlight ring bezel (to send it off for powder coating, for instance) then you have no choice but to ruin that nut's thread!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts