BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see several posts regarding Helibars but not many specifically talking about Racer owners who actually have them. Id like some feedback if possible from Racer owners who actually have them installed. I am thinking about buying them and would like some feeback before i go and spend $500 on something Im not going to like. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Jerseymarine. I have installed helibars on my own racer and have had them from April this year. Relatively easy to install and a really successful transformation Before the change I found that after 30 miles my wrists began to be painfull so I began to use the bike less and less but after installing them now I can regularly do 180 miles without any real discomfort.
Let me give you an example. I'm lucky enough to own a 2017 1200 RS and its all day comfy , the racer is nearly there comfort wise. Down sides well they do look a bit strange but your eye adjusts to the looks. I can honestly say it's the best money I've spent and I don't think you will regret it
Now I enjoy every ride instead of looking for excuses not to ride
Hope this is of help. Any questions just ask

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jerseymarine. I have installed helibars on my own racer and have had them from April this year. Relatively easy to install and a really successful transformation Before the change I found that after 30 miles my wrists began to be painfull so I began to use the bike less and less but after installing them now I can regularly do 180 miles without any real discomfort.
Let me give you an example. I'm lucky enough to own a 2017 1200 RS and its all day comfy , the racer is nearly there comfort wise. Down sides well they do look a bit strange but your eye adjusts to the looks. I can honestly say it's the best money I've spent and I don't think you will regret it
Thank you very much. Thats the exact review I was looking for

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just my opinion...I installed the helibars on the Racer and I think thats the first modification anyone should do to this bike. A matter of fact BMW should think about having the bike come that way stock. The ride is so much more enjoyable without compromising anything else. Nobody who has seen my bike knows otherwise that they are aftermarket. Thank you for pushing me over the edge to buy them

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
maybe BMW does not put them on because they look really ugly?;) it is like the lady in fancy evening dress with home slippers instead of high heels:)
Plus they're not adjustable. There are upper triple clamp replacements (or a OE BMW triple clamp) allowing the use of conventional bars that make more sense and aren't really ugly. The Racers' fixed clip-ons just seem like BMW low balling it again...

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Show me to topic where I said that...and what would be the suspicious conspiracy about a pair of raised handlebars?...I didnt have to ride the bike 1 mile or spend $1 on an architectual engineering education to understand the riding position isnt conducive to riding for more than an hour without being uncomfortable. I knew in the dealer by sitting on the bike it needed Helibars. A matter of fact I almost didn’t buy the bike because of the riding position even though I really liked the styling. My background is racing supebikes and even that riding position isn’t as extreme as the Racer...but what do I know anyway. You are the one with the architectual education

Same here, loved the R9T when I test rode it. But knew immediately the bars would need to change to make it work for me. Easy job, less than 2 hours and about $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
How does one remove the actual handlebar from the stock triple upper fork brace. How is this handlebar secured in place?

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
I'm also looking to make this modification. You don't happen to have some more photos from different angles?
Search the forum for DIY bar replacement threads. @BaldyDave produced a really good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm also looking to make this modification. You don't happen to have some more photos from different angles?
Look here on this thread and post#8 with another link also available. There’s also a YouTube video if you search.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts

Hi guys , i concur with all the positive responses to the original helibar mod. I just installed mine the other day and enjoyed my ride back home and through Manhattan Traffic at ease. I posted the side view picture of my bike above to show that the bars are unnoticable . However ,as you ride it ; it obviously lost its cafe feel. Suffice it to say , I will surely be riding my bike now on much longer trips.
Tip: If your thinking of getting one , don't get the tool set. It'll save you some pennies.
Installtion time is around 2 hours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whitegeronimo, how did you remove the bars from the stock triple tree without the tool? I received my helibars today s d am midway through the installation. I’m stuck on removing the bars.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’d say it’s almost impossible without the tool! They are pressed in to the triple with the paint on the bars. They were one hell of a time for me to get out even with the tool.
Get yourself a long bolt that fits the bar end threads, and a piece of pipe that fits over the bar and that is about 4” longer and a washer

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
166 Posts
I’d say it’s almost impossible without the tool! They are pressed in to the triple with the paint on the bars. They were one hell of a time for me to get out even with the tool.
Get yourself a long bolt that fits the bar end threads, and a piece of pipe that fits over the bar and that is about 4” longer and a washer
Are you guys talking about the standard bar that has to come out of the original triple tree ?

Like picture shows below ?

If so than just get a hairdryer and heat up the part in the last picture with it. This will make it expand a bit so they will come out easier.

Will make fitting into the helibars easier too

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Whitegeronimo, how did you remove the bars from the stock triple tree without the tool? I received my helibars today s d am midway through the installation. I’m stuck on removing the bars.
Hi . First of all ; the usage of the tool did not come with instructions. So I didnt care to figure it out .
I just slowly and gently pulled the triple out with an occasional tap with medium size rubber mallet. That's all. You can use WD 40 to make it much easier.
Hope this helps .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts