BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Racer - Unit Garage Full Titanium Exhaust - Shoei RF1200 w/cardo - Aerostitch leathers
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is Horizon and I'm from the Bay Area, CA. I've had a '17 R9T Racer for about a year now and really enjoy it. My first boxer engine, purchased because I fell in love with BMW Airheads. My best friend who got me into motorcycles a long time ago has had his 1983 customed-out R100RS since we were 18 yrs old, and I always wanted to have something similar but requiring a little less maintenance. I got to ride his '83 R100 and his dad's bored out R75/6 (1977?) and just fell in love with the boxer motor and the raw personality the bikes had. During a fork rebuild on the R100 I stumbled onto pics of the Racer and lost it. There went a significant portion of my savings (right before covid lockdown no less) but fully worth it. I love it to bits - have some complaints about the stock suspension - but love it to bits.

I live close to some of the greatest twisties I know of, and love to rip through them on the racer. My previous bike was a carbureted Yamaha R6, which was more flickable in the twisties but had less soul and less power band, and it's a whole different experience on the Racer. I've got a custom titanium exhaust with cat delete on it that came with it when I bought it from a race car driver, and it's loud as s%$t. Not my favorite thing about the exhaust but I imagine it adds an hp or two and looks pretty. Overall just a super big fan; I love the retro throwback look the racer has and the ridiculously aggressive seating position that lets you stick your head out over the front windscreen if you want as you go flying down hills, etc. I'm 6' & about 185lbs and I've found the bike to be fairly comfortable for 120 miles or so at a time.

I'm happy to join this wonderful forum so I can learn more and share opinions about technical aspects as well as some fun riding stories. If anyone is in the area and wants to ride sometime I'm all for group rides.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Grew up in the Bay Area, can confirm. Hard to beat the roads there.

Even the PNW can't really hold a candle to a spirited ride around Mt.Diablo or hwy17 down to Santa Cruz.

·
Administrator
12,394 Posts
Great to have you here, welcome! :)

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,566 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. 👋

·
Registered
2017 R nine T Racer, 2009 Buell XB12 Scg
32 Posts
Welcome! How close are you to Mt Hamilton or Mt Ununhum?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts