BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per BaldyDave's request, I'm moving this info to its own thread :)

I love the looks of the 3/4 helmets for a number of reasons - man, those Rubys are gorgeous! - but have resisted getting one (and stuck with my full-face helmet instead) for one main reason:

Some really interesting additional info on the image can also be read here.

For anyone purchasing a new helmet for themselves or their pillion, I hope you'll consider that about 1/3 of accident impacts are to areas unprotected by a 3/4 helmet. Since we're all adults and make our own choices, I just wanted share this in case you weren't familiar with it!

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
---- Most/all helmets are rubbish when it rains. ----

What is the Shark Evo-One like? Does the visor stop the rain getting on the inside when it is open? Does it fog up in the rain?

I have a Shoei NeoTec but it has the usual problems, the visor lets in water when it rains and the double-glazing pin thing stops working after six months so you have to life the visor a little to keep it from fogging up and my fogging my glasses and then the visor lets the rain in.....

I find the BMW R nineT open-face helmet with goggles a much better option when it rains but the rain hurts my chin at 100MPH.

Reactions: dearnla

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Just bought s Schuberth C3pro fantastic helmet, I will always wear a full face and full leathers don't care if I don't look cool.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just bought s Schuberth C3pro fantastic helmet, I will always wear a full face and full leathers don't care if I don't look cool.
I think the C3pro is a pretty cool looking helmet!

I really like the "beak" look at the front of Schuberth helmets...looks mean.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have an "old" C3. An older C3 saved my head in a motorcycle vs deer on a R1200GS and mountain road a few years ago.

Pay the money for the best helmet you can get. It won't keep your brains from sloshing around (PTSD, CHI, TBI etc.) but mine worked well. I give Schuberth very high marks for the quality of their helmets.

Consider the Helite system or the neck brace thing that's getting popular too.

ATGATT

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a Bell Bullitt Roland Sands edition. Its feels like a 3/4 helmet due to the very wide opening.

Lots of vision and you can actually see your mouth great if you have a fancy mustache or beard!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I got the Bullitt RSD Viva when it was on special. I can't justify the premium for carbon fibre and you save a massive 8oz over the non carbon fibre unit. I think I can pee more than 8oz.

The Bullitt is really design for a more rounded head. If you fit into a Suomy R1 Spec you'll like the Bullitt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Bell Bullitt Roland Sands edition. Its feels like a 3/4 helmet due to the very wide opening.

Lots of vision and you can actually see your mouth great if you have a fancy mustache or beard!
I have 3 helmets right now: Bell Carbon Star, Bell Bullitt, and Shoei RF-1200. The Bullitt looks the part but is extremely loud - to the point of almost being unusable at freeway speeds. My friend bought the Barn Fresh edition Bullitt and rarely uses it due to the noise issue.

As pretty as they are, riders looking at the Bullitt should know that going in.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Same here with the Bullit ;(

If you hold your hand or maybe only a finger on the upper edge of the visor the noise immediately stops - so one day I will try something like a rubber foam or so . . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 3 helmets right now: Bell Carbon Star, Bell Bullitt, and Shoei RF-1200. The Bullitt looks the part but is extremely loud - to the point of almost being unusable at freeway speeds. My friend bought the Barn Fresh edition Bullitt and rarely uses it due to the noise issue.

As pretty as they are, riders looking at the Bullitt should know that going in.
Funny I've exactly the same helmets stable ;)

The bullitt is a great helmet for commuting around town when it is not raining, however it's not a good choice for high speed (noise), rain, cold....
Basically if you go take a coffee take the bullitt, if you plan a long/hard ride take a Shoei like helmet

·
Registered
278 Posts
I got the Bullitt RSD Viva when it was on special. I can't justify the premium for carbon fibre and you save a massive 8oz over the non carbon fibre unit. I think I can pee more than 8oz.

The Bullitt is really design for a more rounded head. If you fit into a Suomy R1 Spec you'll like the Bullitt.
After reading your post I looked up the Viva and bought it immediately, it's beautiful and I was looking for a white helmet for night rides (I figured a white helmet would be slightly more visible than my black helmet).

However, I just took it out on a ride and it is super noisy! I get a lot of high pitched whistling and I can't stand it.

What doesn't make sense is I have a Bell Bullitt Carbon, unpainted black, and that helmet is nowhere near as loud. I've compared the two Bullitts side by side (black carbon and the Viva) and cant notice any difference in helmet shape or gap between helmet and visor. I'm going to play around with it a little more and see if there is anything I can do to fix the noise but I'm bummed as it's such an awesome looking helmet.

Man, they sure do think that RSD name on it deserves a significant premium. I'm in the wrong business.
I don't think the $50 premium is for the RSD logo as the Bell Bullitt carbon helmets have no price difference between the RSD badged and non RSD badged helmets. I think the $50 premium is due to the special paint job on the Viva; it's got a real nice pearl-like clear coat that I haven't seen on any other Bullitt helmet. The Viva looks amazing!

·
Registered
596 Posts
When riding I always use ear plugs. Most helmets I own I found to be noisy above 80km/h. This includes the Bullitt, Suomy Spec R1 and Shark speed R carbon.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
When riding I always use ear plugs. Most helmets I own I found to be noisy above 80km/h. This includes the Bullitt, Suomy Spec R1 and Shark speed R carbon.
Amazingly, the quietest helmet I have ever ridden with, was a Davida Nine. Open face, yet the insides by the ears acted like ear protection themselves.

·
Registered
R NineT Scrambler
9 Posts
I upgraded my Nolan 90-2 helmet to a HJC RPHA 90s. I was amazed how silent the HJC is compared to the Nolan being both modular helmets. The 200 grams less weight is also very noticable.
All in all im very happy with the HJC RPHA 90s.
I'm just thinking on getting a gold or light smoked visor for the HJC. Anyone got some experience with those visors when used at night? Is it doable?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts