BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
361 - 380 of 395 Posts

· Registered
2018 BMW r nineT Pure
223 Posts
Did anyone buy the stupidly named Shoei glamster. Please share. How is the lid is it comfortable and light, is it noisy or quiet like a true Shoei?
I’ve got one, I’ve only done about 350 miles on it. It’s incredibly comfortable, I love wearing it, I don’t like taking it off. It’s my first Shoei so can’t compare to others am afraid. It does have a bit of wind noise, I think this is due to its tricky to install the visor to get that seal all around. It’s way better than my Nexx XG100, after riding with that my ears would be ringing, with the Shoei that’s very minimal. Champion Helmets do a full review with DB meter etc on YouTube if you’ve not seen it

· Registered
62 Posts
I’ve got one, I’ve only done about 350 miles on it. It’s incredibly comfortable, I love wearing it, I don’t like taking it off. It’s my first Shoei so can’t compare to others am afraid. It does have a bit of wind noise, I think this is due to its tricky to install the visor to get that seal all around. It’s way better than my Nexx XG100, after riding with that my ears would be ringing, with the Shoei that’s very minimal. Champion Helmets do a full review with DB meter etc on YouTube if you’ve not seen it
I assume you don’t wear ear plugs ? Perhaps try some. It is the single biggest improvement I made to my motorcycling many years ago.

· Registered
2018 BMW r nineT Pure
223 Posts
I assume you don’t wear ear plugs ? Perhaps try some. It is the single biggest improvement I made to my motorcycling many years ago.
I have some but always forget to put them in or don’t bother when it’s a short ride. I do need to start wearing them regardless as I don’t wanna lose my hearing. Cheers

· Registered
252 Posts
Thx man, I have seen all the reviews just wanted opinion from a user. I can’t decide Glamster or RYD.

· Registered
38 Posts
I picked up an HJC RPHA11 back in November. So far it's been great. It is a race helmet, but it works great in upright all the way to full tuck. Plenty of detents for the visor (comes with smoke and clear, plus pin lock). Has tear off posts for track days. The vents work great here in the Texas heat.

I sized a little down and it's been breaking in well. I ride with ear plugs so I can't tell you much on noise levels , it's quiet for me.

I went with it for the safety ratings and post crash reviews, along with the emergency cheek pad removal system. I grabbed the Joker paint job , but some of the other DC comic paint jobs look awesome too, along with the Monsters Inc one (usually on sale).

If anyone has any questions or wants a more in depth review , just let me know.

· Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,349 Posts
I've usually bought cheaper helmets, and have now owned three HJCs and two Scorpions.

I bought a new Scorpion EXO-R420 earlier this year, but found it was too tight. I couldn't return it at that point, so I bought a new HJC i10 in a size larger than usual. Unfortunately, that one is slightly too big. Thankfully I've lost some weight and now the Scorpion fits me. Both of these helmets are currently in the $150-160 USD price range.

The Scorpion EXO-R420 is a nice looking helmet with some good features, but I don't love it. It's louder than I'd like, the ventilation is just okay overall, the opening/view is good, and the visor mechanism is okay but feels kind of cheap (because it is). One thing I like is I can keep the visor just very slightly open, for a little air flow and to prevent fogging in chilly and/or wet weather. My big gripe, however, is while I like the visor's center latch tab (so I can raise the visor with either hand), the space under that tab needs to be larger. I find it difficult to get a gloved finger under there to open the visor, especially while moving. Lesson learned: Try on helmets with your normal riding gloves, on, to see whether you can manipulate the visor, vents, and (if equipped) internal sun shield/visor).

The HJC i10 feels like a more expensive helmet than it is, and is a step up from the Scorpion. The i10 is quiet enough (quieter than the R420 above), fit and finish is very good, the materials are good, the view is good, and the visor mechanism feels like better quality than a $160 helmet should have. The visor's center latch is better than the Scorpion's, with a little more room to get my thumb under it when closed. Like the R420, I can keep the visor slightly open, but you have to finesse it, otherwise it will close on you (as it's really designed to do anyway).

Of the two lids, I prefer the HJC i10, though I wish I'd bought it in white instead of dark blue, just for better visibility to other motorists. I'm really between sizes at this point, as the i10 I bought is too big but the next size down is too tight. I thought about buying the next size down and ordering a thinner set of cheek pad for it, but I'll probably just stick with the Scorpion for a while. I may sell the HJC or keep it to use during cold weather rides when I need a little extra room while wearing a balaclava under my helmet.

I've been eyeing a Shoei RF-1200, which are on sale in many places due to being replaced by the new RF-1400. I've tried this helmet on a couple times and I like it, but it's quite a bit more expensive than what I usually buy, though it's also a big step up in quality. Maybe next year if I can still find one on sale that fits me.

· Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
2,193 Posts
I've usually bought cheaper helmets, and have now owned three HJCs and two Scorpions.

I bought a new Scorpion EXO-R420 earlier this year, but found it was too tight. I couldn't return it at that point, so I bought a new HJC i10 in a size larger than usual. Unfortunately, that one is slightly too big. Thankfully I've lost some weight and now the Scorpion fits me. Both of these helmets are currently in the $150-160 USD price range.

The Scorpion EXO-R420 is a nice looking helmet with some good features, but I don't love it. It's louder than I'd like, the ventilation is just okay overall, the opening/view is good, and the visor mechanism is okay but feels kind of cheap (because it is). One thing I like is I can keep the visor just very slightly open, for a little air flow and to prevent fogging in chilly and/or wet weather. My big gripe, however, is while I like the visor's center latch tab (so I can raise the visor with either hand), the space under that tab needs to be larger. I find it difficult to get a gloved finger under there to open the visor, especially while moving. Lesson learned: Try on helmets with your normal riding gloves, on, to see whether you can manipulate the visor, vents, and (if equipped) internal sun shield/visor).

The HJC i10 feels like a more expensive helmet than it is, and is a step up from the Scorpion. The i10 is quiet enough (quieter than the R420 above), fit and finish is very good, the materials are good, the view is good, and the visor mechanism feels like better quality than a $160 helmet should have. The visor's center latch is better than the Scorpion's, with a little more room to get my thumb under it when closed. Like the R420, I can keep the visor slightly open, but you have to finesse it, otherwise it will close on you (as it's really designed to do anyway).

Of the two lids, I prefer the HJC i10, though I wish I'd bought it in white instead of dark blue, just for better visibility to other motorists. I'm really between sizes at this point, as the i10 I bought is too big but the next size down is too tight. I thought about buying the next size down and ordering a thinner set of cheek pad for it, but I'll probably just stick with the Scorpion for a while. I may sell the HJC or keep it to use during cold weather rides when I need a little extra room while wearing a balaclava under my helmet.

I've been eyeing a Shoei RF-1200, which are on sale in many places due to being replaced by the new RF-1400. I've tried this helmet on a couple times and I like it, but it's quite a bit more expensive than what I usually buy, though it's also a big step up in quality. Maybe next year if I can still find one on sale that fits me.
a friend just paid 200bucks for an Rf1200. What a great deal. Sadly the shoe Gt air is not made anymore now the gt air 2 with the funky cavity for a Sena. Hjc will be my next helmet purchase.

· Registered
2017 R9T Classic
263 Posts
Since I wear glasses and didn't want to have to swap between prescription sunglasses I use a HJC RPHA 70ST which has a sun visor. I also picked up a tinted faceshield and between the two they work well for summer sun. It's obviously not retro but I doubt the retro helmets have the functionality I want.

My next helmet will likely be FIM certified but that hopefully won't be for a couple of years.

· Registered
2015 R NineT K21 2003 R1150RT
315 Posts
I'm still on the Hunt for a replacement for my Bell modular. I really like Arai, but it presses on the top sides of my head and is super uncomfortable. Then I tried the Shoei RF1400 in a large and it crushed my cheeks, but the rest of my head felt comfortable. Then I tried an XL in the Shoei and it was super comfortable--but I'm worried about after the break in period if it will be too loose.

I don't want to drop $600-700 on a helmet, so I was considering the Shoei RF SR ($419 USD) I know it's their "entry" helmet, but their entry helmet is built better than a lot of lower cost manufacturers premium lines. I've literally tried on 40 helmets from a WIDE range of manufacturers--Shoei, AGV, Arai, Bell, Scorpion, NEXX, HJC, Shuberth, LS2, and Klim.

The Shoei seems the most comfortable. I really like the drop down visor on the Shoei Air II, but at $600 I might have to stick with the RF SR with an auto tinting shield.

Anyone have the Shoei RF SR and can comment on whether they like or dislike it?

· Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Here’s one I haven’t seen on this forum. It’s called a “Quin” it’s a private company and it’s main offices are right here in Dallas. The designer cut his teeth hand making one off custom lids for very famous Formula 1 drivers. This helmet is certified by every agency that certifies racing gear and could be worn in a Formula 1 race tomorrow. I don’t think I’ve posted about this before but if I have forgive me. I don’t usually even wear a helmet unless I’m touring, when I ride local I don’t wear a lid. When I do it’s always this one. It’s all carbon fiber over a Kevlar woven fabric like they use in bullet proof vests. It’s the lightest helmet I’ve ever owned weighing in at just over 4 lbs. it’s quiet, easy on, easy off, pinlock visor, built in sun glasses elected from an external switch, crash call wired with all kinds of accelerometers and GPS positioning that automatically call for help if you crash and report your location …It’s Bluetooth hardwired built-in including batteries so no external device needed to link with dedicated GPS devices and your smart phone at the same time so no extra wind noise…. I love it ….and for a helmet that’s high praise from me. Are you curious …. Google QuinDesign helmets and read all about it. I give 5 stars easy.
…..Blitz
Helmet Sports equipment Sports gear Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive lighting Helmet Sports gear Hood Automotive design

Sports gear Automotive design Helmet Composite material Personal protective equipment

· Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
432 Posts
Nice, I only suspect it would not be a feather.... but looks great!

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

· Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,331 Posts
361 - 380 of 395 Posts