BMW NineT Forum banner

Helmets talk

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  FatCobra 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been advised to pick the safest helmet that fits me best.

Haven't tried any on yet.

The Japanese rivals Arai and Shoei seem to be kings of the hill.
They use different shell sizes instead of using one and padding up or down to fit a different size. They are also hand make and produce a layered fiberglass composite shell instead of a molded plastic one.

Then more or less at the same level of reputation, there are the Germans with Shuberth (weird looking and sloping down chin) and the italians with AGV (which was acquired by Dainese, another Italian company and motorcycle gear manufactuer).

Then comes Bell?

I am having trouble finding weight figures and specs online. The weight depends on the shell size for some of these brands.

My priority list looks something like this:

1 - max. safety performance in a crash and smart design that won't break my collar bones
2 - fit (1 and 2 go in hand in hand to an extent) and comfort for 1-5 hours rides
3 - weight and shell size
4 - looks and design
5 - coms integration (which system do you recommend by the way)
... 6 and 7: whatever I don't know
distant 8 - road noise

Finally, it seems these helmets are cheaper in the Europe than the USA?
And also, retailers also frequently sell below MSRP. Where should I go for the best pricing?

I am expecting a civil conversation and forgive me for asking, could you guys please comment?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been advised to pick the safest helmet that fits me best.

Haven't tried any on yet.

The Japanese rivals Arai and Shoei seem to be kings of the hill.

They use different shell sizes instead of using one and padding up or down to fit a different size. They are also hand made and produce a layered fiberglass composite shell instead of a molded plastic one.

Then there is the Germans with Shuberth (weird looking and sloping down chin) and the italians with AGV (which was acquired by Dainese, another Italian company and motorcycle gear manufactuer).

Then comes Bell?

I am having trouble finding weight figures and specs online. The weight depends on the shell size for some of these brands.

My priority list looks something like this:

1 - max. safety performance in a crash and smart design that won't break my collar bones

2 - fit (1 and 2 go in hand in hand to an extent) and comfort for 1-5 hours rides

3 - weight and shell size

4 - looks and design

5 - coms integration (which system do you recommend by the way)

... 6 and 7: whatever I don't know

distant 8 - road noise

I am expecting a civil conversation and forgive me for asking, could you guys please comment?

It really comes down to fit, which will make a big difference in comfort, visibility, and noise. I loved the shoe gt air, but it didn’t fit on my egg shaped head. Went back to my old trusty brand Arai. No regrets with the arai. Looks good, fits great, and works well with my sena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I have the shuberth C4, It is beautiful and safe, but I am disappointing with the anti fog visor, it moves all the time and does not work properly. The sena system fits in the helmet great and works well, but the buttons are not easy to find with gloves. It is a modular helmet, the chinbar is difficult to close some times. I can not recommend it to you. Waiting for the shoei neotec II....

#7 ·
I have the Shoei and really like it. Good fit and relatively quiet. Have had no luck with the Shuberth C3 or C4 the fit just does not work for my noggin shape.Just picked up a Klim Krios Karbon ADV helmet for the R1200 ADV - my first fixed helmet and although only being out with it once, am quite impressed. Very, very light weight, quiet, and great field of view. The top shade can be removed easily for sport bike riding. It also comes with clear and dark shields as well as a pin lock shield, spare parts and is Sena ready.

Reactions: FatCobra
#8 ·
Go full face. Many, myself included, sometimes wear an open faced helmet, but in the event of a spill, could be bad! As others have said, try them on. I think your ranking is pretty good, but Bell should be recognized a little higher in your ...list, They make a really nice helmet.
The helmet that see's the most use from me is the RF-1200 ( Shoei.) It is a noisy Lid!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.