BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Hope you are having an amazing day!

I was washing my bike this morning and noticed some burnt goo on the exhaust pipe. It looks like something leaked down from above. Unfortunately I had just cleaned everything so I have no indication of where this drip came from. Hopefully this photo will give you a good idea of where it is. I'm a little concerned. Bike is new, less than 300 miles.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on what it is?

I appreciate your thoughts.
-Todd

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
As I can't make out from the pic if there's a pipe join where the mark is to confirm a leak..........I'd suggest that maybe the heel of your riding boot/shoe/trainer etc has touched the hot pipe and melted onto it?

Also check the toe area for the same if you've inadvertently put your foot in too far when lowering the sidestand from beside the bike.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Fair point @IslandFalconer .......I didn't consider that as only the very latest incarnations have those canisters here in the UK.

Mine thankfully hasn't been encumbered with one.

I'd still suggest it looks more like a melty smear than a drip though!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fair point @IslandFalconer .......I didn't consider that as only the very latest incarnations have those canisters here in the UK.

Mine thankfully hasn't been encumbered with one.

I'd still suggest it looks more like a melty smear than a drip though!!
I’d say yours has a canister, as I can see it in your photo. It’s the round black thing straight up from that spot on your exhaust.
black, 6” tall, has hoses at the top.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I’d say yours has a canister, as I can see it in your photo. It’s the round black thing straight up from that spot on your exhaust.
black, 6” tall, has hoses at the top.
Nah.....that's not my bike @IslandFalconer ....it belongs to the OP @Todd

Mine is a '14 UK spec which didn't come with the onboard BBQ briquette carrier!!! hehe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses. I’ve checked my boots and they are not the issue. Nothing melted. I’m guessing it is the canister. As noted this is directly above the burnt on stuff.

I want to understand how this canister works. Is dripping normal? I’ll be googling and trying to educate myself. Any information you have is appreciated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I’ve checked my boots and they are not the issue. Nothing melted. I’m guessing it is the canister. As noted this is directly above the burnt on stuff.

I want to understand how this canister works. Is dripping normal? I’ll be googling and trying to educate myself. Any information you have is appreciated.
It shouldn’t leak, but it can. But, if it’s cracked or has a broken line on top it could leak. It’s meant to capture gas tank fumes/gas and let them evaporate in the canister. From there it’s meant to be pulled through the intake system and burned through combustion. Back in the day we just had vent lines direct to atmosphere that vented under the bike. Many people delete the charcoal canister as it has been known to cause issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are awesome. My brother fessed you today. He had a melted shoelace. Thanks for all the replies.
-Todd

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,975 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts