BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I do not have the C-Bow rack but since I did install the tank bag even though I don't really like the concept of tank bags as they are a bit too Euro Tourer for me. I installed the rear hump last weekend so my tail bag had to go.

Since I use Nine T as my commuter vehicle I needed some storage but I did not want anything permanently strapped to my bike or rubbing on my gas tank. The H&B tank bag does not touch the tank and it comes off with one pull of a strap and drops into place. I wanted something smaller than what I got but I ordered the L instead of the XL so it is the smallest that they have.

·
Registered
239 Posts
First pictures are of the mount I fabricated and then with the Bows attached.

Captain,
Just curious if you had given any thought to modifying the H/B rack to move the bags in closer to the frame? Cut the outriggers as required, insert a solid bar at the joint, weld and repaint.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Captain,
Just curious if you had given any thought to modifying the H/B rack to move the bags in closer to the frame? Cut the outriggers as required, insert a solid bar at the joint, weld and repaint.
Didn't give it any thought at all because I saved money by not buying the H/B mounting frame for the C-Bow hoops. (The frame is specific to the nineT, whereas the hoops and bags are off the shelf items that can be purchased separately).

Thinking about your idea, if you shorten the outriggers that would also change their attachment point because they splay out and are not parallel to each other.
You would need the assembly in front of you to see what lines up. There is not a lot of room to play with as there are the four bolts that attach the hoops to the frame brackets.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Didn't give it any thought at all because I saved money by not buying the H/B mounting frame for the C-Bow hoops. (The frame is specific to the nineT, whereas the hoops and bags are off the shelf items that can be purchased separately).

Thinking about your idea, if you shorten the outriggers that would also change their attachment point because they splay out and are not parallel to each other. You would need the assembly in front of you to see what lines up. There is not a lot of room to play with as there are the four bolts that attach the hoops to the frame brackets.

OK, I see what you mean. I took another look and the front outrigger appears to splay out at nearly a 45* angle; geometry would be an issue. I have just purchased a welder and am teaching myself to weld, so fabricating a bracket as you did may be in my future. I just don't know if I can wait long enough for my welding skills to be up to the task.

You have the prototype; maybe you could hook up with James (the license plate guy in Atlanta) and see what it would take to reproduce your prototype in aluminum?;)
http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/ap...oup-buy-license-plate-relocation-bracket.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
you should convince someone at hepco becker to do the same. looking forward to seeing your design.

i checked the weight limit for other c-bow mounts...the ones i can find tend to be around 11 kilos...that is a perfectly reasonable weight limit.

Hey,

I’m sorry to disturb you about a post you made ages ago, but hopefully you can help me.

I was looking for info about how much load the cbow from Hepco can take, and I saw you read somewhere some of them can hold up to 11 kilos. Where did you find that info?

cheers

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I’m sorry to disturb you about a post you made ages ago, but hopefully you can help me.
Unfortunately I don't think you will get a reply from that member as per their account they haven't been on the forum since "Last seen Sep 10, 2017"

With the C-Bow mounts their weight carrying capacity is determined by the rear subframe of your nineT, and also that they attach using M5 bolts.
It would be possible to upgrade the bolts, but I'd be wary about the extra strain you may be placing on the C-Bow frames.

Sorry I cannot help where that 11kg weight limit came from.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey,

I was looking for info about how much load the cbow from Hepco can take, and I saw you read somewhere some of them can hold up to 11 kilos. Where did you find that info?

cheers
The installation manual for the C bow frames mentions a 3 kg load limit, which is quite far from 11kg.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts