BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually bought it and installed it?

Can you share your thoughts and also pictures please?

I am not expecting a top case for 9T but any thing more than this small passenger seat will solve only problem I have.
My wife just doesn't want to be in the back on 9T because she can only grab me, and she doesn't feel safe enough.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
They sent me the install instructions, so I could see where it attached. I am considering the rack with the foldable bracket. I might be able to attach a removable backrest to that rack. Not sure I like the idea of installing a rack, but it does use up that bare space (the diving board). I would need to see it first hand. They mention how they use a plastic cover over the rack, to improve the appearance. NO plastic is an improvement to me. I noticed it bolts to 4 points. The frame bolt to the side and below the seat (where you would attach the attachment points for the large rear BMW bag), and then replaces 2 bolts under the rear seat. One item that concerns me, is a kinda thick washer that fits between the seat, and the seat base, right where we screw the pillion seat.

·
Registered
883 Posts
They sent me the install instructions, so I could see where it attached. I am considering the rack with the foldable bracket. I might be able to attach a removable backrest to that rack. Not sure I like the idea of installing a rack, but it does use up that bare space (the diving board). I would need to see it first hand. They mention how they use a plastic cover over the rack, to improve the appearance. NO plastic is an improvement to me. I noticed it bolts to 4 points. The frame bolt to the side and below the seat (where you would attach the attachment points for the large rear BMW bag), and then replaces 2 bolts under the rear seat. One item that concerns me, is a kinda thick washer that fits between the seat, and the seat base, right where we screw the pillion seat.
Hey Rkevwill ,

I am in same pickle with wife an also some work lugagge here and there

Well even though I am thinking of the easyRac with the foldable bracket.
Since your concern is to make a back-rest well the regular cheaper rack the Alu-Rac
it has a seperate bracket that needs to be removed or installed when in need.

Well this $70.00 extra piece (there goes the cheeper price)
But you may be able to make a very good backrest from that removable piece
take a look at it it is just a strong tubular bar bent in the shape of a small Back Rest

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Hey Rkevwill ,

I am in same pickle with wife an also some work lugagge here and there

Well even though I am thinking of the easyRac with the foldable bracket.
Since your concern is to make a back-rest well the regular cheaper rack the Alu-Rac
it has a seperate bracket that needs to be removed or installed when in need.

Well this $70.00 extra piece (there goes the cheeper price)
But you may be able to make a very good backrest from that removable piece
take a look at it it is just a strong tubular bar bent in the shape of a small Back Rest
Bill,
I see them mention the removable top bow on the Alurack, but I don't see any pics of that. Do you happen to have a url with a pic of that installed? I saw you mention the $70 extra price, but the description I see on their site appears to infer the piece is included. Of course, their picture doesn't show that piece.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Bill,
I see them mention the removable top bow on the Alurack, but I don't see any pics of that. Do you happen to have a url with a pic of that installed? I saw you mention the $70 extra price, but the description I see on their site appears to infer the piece is included. Of course, their picture doesn't show that piece.
Hi I am trying to get the picture its actually at moto machine website but what you need to do is click on the RACKS and then go to ALU STANDARD and then schroll down for accessories and you will see it . I think it is what you may need to do a rack. it is Tubular and strong.
but if you do go to their site remember its nu=ot under the Bike type link its under the racks link

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I will have to question them on that, If/when I order a rack. In their description of the rack, it infers that bar comes with. If not, thats a definite additional item I would need. I also am interested in how the rack would look without the plastic shrouding. I'm not into plastic. We'll see.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I will have to question them on that, If/when I order a rack. In their description of the rack, it infers that bar comes with. If not, thats a definite additional item I would need. I also am interested in how the rack would look without the plastic shrouding. I'm not into plastic. We'll see.
Hey the link I sent you is for what you may need but I see it now at $27.00 but the one I saw was $74.00 and it was specific for the AluRac so yes please call them cause I am all confused too. My dealer was the one that was looking up the info for me a week ago when I was picking up my engine guards and the dealer specifically stressed to me that it would cost the same due to the fee for the bar.

so yes they do need a call. we need answers :)

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Has anyone actually bought it and installed it?

Can you share your thoughts and also pictures please?

I am not expecting a top case for 9T but any thing more than this small passenger seat will solve only problem I have.
My wife just doesn't want to be in the back on 9T because she can only grab me, and she doesn't feel safe enough.
Alex Ford from Simi Valley here. I just purchased and finally received the Hepco & Becker EasyRack. The installation according to my son, while straight-forward was a little tricky as the exact fit was not perfect. All hardware was supplied. Currently the stock BMW seat for the R9T is still in place. This required us to go to obtain the next length bolt for the rear seat because of the necessitated spacer to have the overall rack installation fit the seat and also look, "correct." The instructions state to use the stock bolt, but that is impossible as it isn't long enough. We opted for a hex bolt with barrel-type head. That bolt works more easily than the stock BMW bolt for reasons we cannot discern. In putting the rack on the bike, varisous states of looseness on all mounting bolts were required and then gradual tightening of them at each point was required to actually get the rack to fit. The quality also did not appear to match the usual German standards. However, once fully mounted to the bike, it looks in appearance, for all intents and purposes, like a part BMW could have planned. I got the Easy Rack instead of the alurack, because if and when I get a top box, I won't have to bolt a bow on. The bow simply extends to the up positon by lifting. The looks of the bike to me are very positively affected and this rack really finishes off the appearance of the bike by making it look, "complete." Overall, now that it is installed, I will not remove it. It has become a permanent part of my bike, just as the Daytona fairing I installed has become permanent. The rack has a number of slots as well as four under-rack mounting points for straps or bungee attachment points. The construction appears to be of a mild steel. The factory black paint pretty well matches that of the BMW frame and components and also looks, "factory." My BMW rear soft back now resides on top of the rack instead of the seat and now leaves me room for a passenger and enough luggage room for extra helmet, water bottle, towl (for the gym). Any number of bags or boxes will fit on the top. Some will not like that the rack does not go to the edge or even beyond the tail light. However, perhaps that has to do with full visibility of the tail light and certain jurisdictional laws in connection with it. After observing it for several days on the bike, I now like it the way it is. That's my two cents worth with regard to this rack. I like the design and look a lot and this rack would be approximately the way I would have designed it. One does not have to take any part of the stock frame off. Any bolt changes are included in the hardware and the supplied spacers. Love to hear from you. Alex Ford. PS: The weight limitation is for legal purposes and a few more pounds can likely be tolerated. I do not have photos, as I have never been able to import the photos to this site, as I continue not to understand how it is done.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alex Ford from Simi Valley here. I just purchased and finally received the Hepco & Becker EasyRack. The installation according to my son, while straight-forward was a little tricky as the exact fit was not perfect. All hardware was supplied. Currently the stock BMW seat for the R9T is still in place. This required us to go to obtain the next length bolt for the rear seat because of the necessitated spacer to have the overall rack installation fit the seat and also look, "correct." The instructions state to use the stock bolt, but that is impossible as it isn't long enough. We opted for a hex bolt with barrel-type head. That bolt works more easily than the stock BMW bolt for reasons we cannot discern. In putting the rack on the bike, varisous states of looseness on all mounting bolts were required and then gradual tightening of them at each point was required to actually get the rack to fit. The quality also did not appear to match the usual German standards. However, once fully mounted to the bike, it looks in appearance, for all intents and purposes, like a part BMW could have planned. I got the Easy Rack instead of the alurack, because if and when I get a top box, I won't have to bolt a bow on. The bow simply extends to the up positon by lifting. The looks of the bike to me are very positively affected and this rack really finishes off the appearance of the bike by making it look, "complete." Overall, now that it is installed, I will not remove it. It has become a permanent part of my bike, just as the Daytona fairing I installed has become permanent. The rack has a number of slots as well as four under-rack mounting points for straps or bungee attachment points. The construction appears to be of a mild steel. The factory black paint pretty well matches that of the BMW frame and components and also looks, "factory." My BMW rear soft back now resides on top of the rack instead of the seat and now leaves me room for a passenger and enough luggage room for extra helmet, water bottle, towl (for the gym). Any number of bags or boxes will fit on the top. Some will not like that the rack does not go to the edge or even beyond the tail light. However, perhaps that has to do with full visibility of the tail light and certain jurisdictional laws in connection with it. After observing it for several days on the bike, I now like it the way it is. That's my two cents worth with regard to this rack. I like the design and look a lot and this rack would be approximately the way I would have designed it. One does not have to take any part of the stock frame off. Any bolt changes are included in the hardware and the supplied spacers. Love to hear from you. Alex Ford. PS: The weight limitation is for legal purposes and a few more pounds can likely be tolerated. I do not have photos, as I have never been able to import the photos to this site, as I continue not to understand how it is done.
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this!
I would really love to see the photos of 9t with this rack without anything else on it.
It is actually easy to post photos.
On the bottom if left side, there is reply click. If you click that, you can attach photos easily.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Mine came with the extra long seat bolt.

As you can see, I have fitted a huge Givi topbox on mine and it fits and works well.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
One question I have for you, is when the bow is raised, does it lock in place? And if so, does it lock solidly, where a backrest could be fabricated for it? If not, I am leaning towards the Alurack, as the bow bolts in place. I need to have a backrest for my wife, on the rare times she wants to ride short rides. Otherwise, I prefer to have as little stuff on the bike as possible. I can fabricate and attach a backrest pad to the bow.

·
Registered
883 Posts
One question I have for you, is when the bow is raised, does it lock in place? And if so, does it lock solidly, where a backrest could be fabricated for it? If not, I am leaning towards the Alurack, as the bow bolts in place. I need to have a backrest for my wife, on the rare times she wants to ride short rides. Otherwise, I prefer to have as little stuff on the bike as possible. I can fabricate and attach a backrest pad to the bow.

HI for this reason alone , ( that the AluRac bolts down)
Well I think you should go with AluRac and if it comes with the bow then fine if we have to pay for it then fine too. Either way it will only matter if the bow mount
will hold the weight of ones passenger and still be safe for a back rest.

the easyrac is a flip up even if it is strong and also locks in place it still will eventually go bad from all the pressure of passenger using it as backrest.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
HI for this reason alone , ( that the AluRac bolts down)
Well I think you should go with AluRac and if it comes with the bow then fine if we have to pay for it then fine too. Either way it will only matter if the bow mount
will hold the weight of ones passenger and still be safe for a back rest.

the easyrac is a flip up even if it is strong and also locks in place it still will eventually go bad from all the pressure of passenger using it as backrest.
Thanks Bill. Even without seeing the two, I think that is very sound advice. I'm not really sold on any rack at all, but if I am going to use the NineT the way I really need it, I need some structure back there for a temp backrest, and need to lower the rear foot pegs. (Wunderlich offers those). Not my favorite personalized alterations for the bike, but many of us on the forum have customized the bike to fit their personal needs. This will solve some issues for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking to get an easy rack but alu rack will be better for me too after reading your comments.
I personally don't want to see any plastic either.

Anything simple rack like this triumph will work for me.

Did you get any answer from motomachines?
If the bow comes as package? If they have any picture without that plastic cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I was thinking to get an easy rack but alu rack will be better for me too after reading your comments.
I personally don't want to see any plastic either.

Anything simple rack like this triumph will work for me.

Did you get any answer from motomachines?
If the bow comes as package? If they have any picture without that plastic cover.
Nope, haven't contacted them yet. Recovering from Christmas here, and catching up with year end business. I will get to it soon. I am going to the IMS in Chicago in Feb, and will look for an appropriate backrest at that time. I'm sure I will get the rack prior to that, and will post pics at that time.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yesterday was the second weekend in a row where the wife jumped on the back of the bike and said lets go! (I made sure I had proper PSI and off I went)

So far I have changed the rear seat to the comfort seat and I think it is working well
It does need lowered pegs for rear and also a rear rack with the bow. just to hold on to something just something other than the front rider. just for extra support.

So to us it is already a Sports touring roadster :)
And this weeekend I spent a lot of time looking into Hepco and the Heck with them company.
And Yes please all re check and review some of those rack that they have for other bikes it seems that their products are good but they are like leggo sets which one can do a modification on a simple rack. Hepco has rear racks starting at half the price of what they ask for the 9T and I just notice the Easy Rack a triumph or Ducati being sold for around $80.00 cheaper that the EASY Rack for the 9T.

Please review everything from their products and I bet you can save some money and get a real good rear support for a passenger.

We did 75-80 MPH and no struggle. the upright position finally comes to play with two up for me. I also now know what that 6th gear is for :)

SO two weekend in a row of rides (2 up.) and both rides over 2 hours each non stop. except for traffic.
So between milage questions on gas tanks and comfort and performance with two up.

HEY WE GIVE IT THE THUMBS UP! a grand salute! and we are searching for that ultimate rear rack with a bow. (If you are a perevert you may interpit it differently :)

There was one point where we had a red light and both of us got off the bike kickstand down and we shook off the road off of us and got back on the bike as if it was no trouble at all and off we went. If I still smoked I would of had time to have a cig and get going before it turned green, Easy bike Easy Bike

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope, haven't contacted them yet. Recovering from Christmas here, and catching up with year end business. I will get to it soon. I am going to the IMS in Chicago in Feb, and will look for an appropriate backrest at that time. I'm sure I will get the rack prior to that, and will post pics at that time.
I emailed them and they sent me pictures with manual too.

Actually it is very different from what I expected.

Here are pictures of rack without plastic covers and manuals.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 206 Posts