BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
BMW R nineT /5
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum

I have just purchased a year old /5. COVID means it’s still at the dealers!!!
However good to get a bike again after 15 years away. I had the test ride before Xmas and was smitten straight away. Not sure SWMBO was too happy.... I was meant to go out and buy a sofa.

Previous bikes have been numerous. But the last 2 were a mk1 Speed Triple and then a 955 Daytona. Just not sure the current Triumph range was right for me. Immediately liked the /5, so I bought it.

Already ordered the Rev counter, can’t collect that, and will add a Unit Garage rack and pannier, whenever I can get those.

Just looking forwards to some warm spring days.....and the bike to be delivered!

Keep tank side up.

Douglas

Ps Why Avelingporter you may ask.... this is my other toy. 1899 traction engine. Been in my family 51 years and we are only the third owners from new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello Forum

I have just purchased a year old /5. COVID means it’s still at the dealers!!!
However good to get a bike again after 15 years away. I had the test ride before Xmas and was smitten straight away. Not sure SWMBO was too happy.... I was meant to go out and buy a sofa.

Previous bikes have been numerous. But the last 2 were a mk1 Speed Triple and then a 955 Daytona. Just not sure the current Triumph range was right for me. Immediately liked the /5, so I bought it.

Already ordered the Rev counter, can’t collect that, and will add a Unit Garage rack and pannier, whenever I can get those.

Just looking forwards to some warm spring days.....and the bike to be delivered!

Keep tank side up.

Douglas

Ps Why Avelingporter you may ask.... this is my other toy. 1899 traction engine. Been in my family 51 years and we are only the third owners from new!

Welcome on board. Where in Hants are you?

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Welcome here. Great "toy" in your family! Looks like new from the picture.

Reactions: Avelingporter

·
Registered
106 Posts
Love the steam engine....... pray, what is in that caravan? We don't see nary a few of those with the distinctive curved roof in the land of fruits and nuts.

·
Administrator
11,926 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What a lovely old traction engine! :)

·
Registered
BMW R nineT /5
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love the steam engine....... pray, what is in that caravan? We don't see nary a few of those with the distinctive curved roof in the land of fruits and nuts.
The caravan thing is correctly called a living van. Originally built in 1921 for a road rolling contractor and their team. They would haul it from job to job behind a steam roller and live in it during the week. Then going home by train or bicycle at weekends. Back on a Monday for the next stretch of road to roll.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
128 Posts
The caravan thing is correctly called a living van. Originally built in 1921 for a road rolling contractor and their team. They would haul it from job to job behind a steam roller and live in it during the week. Then going home by train or bicycle at weekends. Back on a Monday for the next stretch of road to roll.

In South Africa we still see road graders in the rural areas pulling their caravans and maintaining the dirt roads. They live in them and move from area to area grading the roads. Vast areas of South Africa and Namibia still have dirt roads and regular grading is a necessity.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,203 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. 👋

·
Registered
106 Posts

Nice bit of history.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts