BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please! - before you all shout at me to look up the topic in the 'Search Community' function I have done that: and just to clarify I'm looking for higher 'bars in themselves not the add-on risers, which I have. They are HELIBAR risers as a matter of interest, which are fine as far as they go, but not far enough in terms of increased vertical height. It is increased height at the hand-grips level rather than extended pull-back that I'm looking for, or to put it another way I want to be able to sit more-or-less straight upright, or with minimal forward lean.

I find the ergos on the R9T Classic/ Roadster far too cramped and in particular require a much more 'sit-up-and-beg' arm position. This is made even more necessary because of a chronic and painful bursitis in my right shoulder, despite many procedures. At present I find the pressure on my wrists intolerable after some time on the bike. The 'Search' function shows a number of potential options, but many of these posts go back a very long way, as far as 2015 in many cases (nod here to Baldy Dave who has made a lot of posts on this topic).

So - would any member here who has achieved what I seek kindly share your info with me? One point of interest is the need - or otherwise - for longer brake and clutch lines, as there seems very little 'give' as they are on the bike right now. I don't mind at all having to order new clutch and brake hydraulic lines so long as I get the ergos I need. Thank you in hopeful advance!

Reactions: Dauphinais

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Perhaps the bars from a BMW 1200C would fit.
Thank you: I'll look into that option straight away. With only a moment's notice the dealer thought the bars from a Scrambler may suit, also the hydraulic lines, being a bit longer may be a straight swap.. He's looking into it for me.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's good news week! Eyeballing the new BMW F900 XR in the dealer's showroom at the weekend, it seemed to me that at first glance that the handle-bar on that semi-adventure bike is a good deal taller than on my R9T.

Back to the dealership today, quick chat with the guys there, out with a tape-measure, scroll through the Motorrad computer and - lo! - the 900 XR bar will fit my R9T Classic Roadster, increasing height by maybe up to 2"/ 50mm, just what I need. The installation may also need new, longer, hydraulic lines to be fitted, off either the 900 XR or R9T Scrambler, but a decision on that will have to wait until the new bar is installed. We agreed to re-install the Helibar risers already on my bike, and if that takes the new bar too high the risers can be quickly and easily removed. I don't want ape-hangers, but with or without the risers I'm sure the 900 XR part will suit me very well.

That's good news, and the computer further told us that the Motorrad factory has 27 of these bars in stock, but none in Oz. Sitting down and taking a Valium I asked the price, and when told had to reply that I only want one bar, not all 27! But I ordered it and paid a deposit.

The bar will take 6 to 8 weeks to arrive, maybe less, but apparently cargo flights out of Europe are still far and few between, so for the time being I'll just have to ride with the OE wrist-down bar - I can live with that for a while.

Anyone interested in this approach can be advised that the part number for the 900 XR handle-bar is 32719443134.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's good news week! Eyeballing the new BMW F900 XR in the dealer's showroom at the weekend, it seemed to me that at first glance that the handle-bar on that semi-adventure bike is a good deal taller than on my R9T.

Back to the dealership today, quick chat with the guys there, out with a tape-measure, scroll through the Motorrad computer and - lo! - the 900 XR bar will fit my R9T Classic Roadster, increasing height by maybe up to 2"/ 50mm, just what I need. The installation may also need new, longer, hydraulic lines to be fitted, off either the 900 XR or R9T Scrambler, but a decision on that will have to wait until the new bar is installed. We agreed to re-install the Helibar risers already on my bike, and if that takes the new bar too high the risers can be quickly and easily removed. I don't want ape-hangers, but with or without the risers I'm sure the 900 XR part will suit me very well.

That's good news, and the computer further told us that the Motorrad factory has 27 of these bars in stock, but none in Oz. Sitting down and taking a Valium I asked the price, and when told had to reply that I only want one bar, not all 27! But I ordered it and paid a deposit.

The bar will take 6 to 8 weeks to arrive, maybe less, but apparently cargo flights out of Europe are still far and few between, so for the time being I'll just have to ride with the OE wrist-down bar - I can live with that for a while.

Anyone interested in this approach can be advised that the part number for the 900 XR handle-bar is 32719443134.

Stay tuned!
I’m also looking for a bar alternative , do these have more pullback as well as rise as I have the Wunderlich risers already which offer height but not any closer , and if you mind what is the cost ?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m also looking for a bar alternative , do these have more pullback as well as rise as I have the Wunderlich risers already which offer height but not any closer , and if you mind what is the cost ?

I imagine more pull-back may be obtained by simply rotating the bar backwards towards the rider. The HELIBARS already fitted do offer a decent height and pull-back gain, but this new handlebar promises to go a few steps further in height, it seems.. Cost - far too much as quoted, in fact I'm gonna approach a couple of other local Motorrad dealers to get their prices.

·
Banned
1 Posts
at nearly 74 years old, I too get a bit cramped on my 2014 Roadster. Added dropped pegs (helpful), tried BMW Scrambler risers (ok but still too low) and I’m now running Helis with stock bars (Still need em’ higher). Thinking about Unit Garage Comfort Bars now. The F900 bars may work but they’re pricey. My understanding is that Scrambler bars aren’t much different from Roadster, just positioned differently. Check part #s to be sure.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
74? Started shaving yet? (80 here!). The F900 XR bars will fit, dealer has checked. Should give about a 2" height gain. They ARE pricey, piratically so, but if they turn my R9T into a keeper it may be worth it. Scrambler bars do not offer any advantage over stock. I will post-up details and pix of the new install as and when... but could be a while thanks to erratic air cargo flights from Europe.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the dealership this morning on another quest I took another good hard took at the 'bar on the F900 XR, and it does appear to be somewhat higher than on my R9T. It's hard to judge from the pix I took of both set-ups, but here goes: 900 XR first.

Reactions: 318 and skiint

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thx 4 the pics. yes, hard to tell the difference, but 50mm would seem ideal. Eager to see
How they work for you. Here’s my setup, same as yours
image.jpg

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, GSJoel. When you say "here's my set-up, same as yours" do you mean that the 'bar you pictured is a replacement, maybe even off an F900 XR? I'd like to know.

Looking at my pix above (post #9) more and more I'm pretty certain that there will be a useful and worthwhile gain in height, even more so if I leave the HELIBAR risers in. Eyeballing the curve of the 'bar on the XR (upper pic) on either side of the centre clamp it does appear to be rather more pronounced or 'steeper'. Your own pic appears to follow this. Any comments please GS?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Maybe it's just the pic Lawrence of Suburbia, but are the F 900 XR handlebars the same diameter from clamp area to end of handlebar?

I am also looking for handlebars that are high enough, and maybe use the 20mm risers as well.

I had a pair of ROX knockoffs that looked like scaffolding.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Maybe it's just the pic Lawrence of Suburbia, but are the F 900 XR handlebars the same diameter from clamp area to end of handlebar?

I am also looking for handlebars that are high enough, and maybe use the 20mm risers as well.

In Lawrence’s picture, the 900XR handlebars measure smaller diameter than the other pair.
I presume this is just how the picture was taken?

As said before, I have both Heli risers and Rox fitted together and it suits me fine.
Ken.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I am quite sure that the XR bar is the same as the R9 ba insofar as there's a larger centre diameter, tapering out towards the ends of the bar. But I will be passing the dealership later today (Thurs) and will call in to double-check - also to enquire if there's any news of the ETA of the new bar.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lawrence, “same as yours” meant stock 9T bar and Helibar risers. Still looking for a higher alternative, but MAX BMW here in the states wants $356 USD for the F900XR bar. If I remember correctly, the Unit Garage “Comfort Bar” is under $200, but there is still the question of cables to deal with.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK - so it's clear that the Unaffordium XR 900 'bar is tapered. No need for me to double-check @ the dealer today then. Regarding the hydraulic lines, dealer seems to think that those off the Scrambler might do - if not, newbies to be made-up. I've simply gotta get this bike right for me, or may have to quit it altogether, which I'm extremely reluctant to do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lawrence, I want to get mine right, too. My neck aches and I squirm around like a frog on a hot plate after an hour - but that motor, those brakes and the sound it makes help me to forget my discomfort. And did I mention I love looking at it too? But nearly $400 for bars? And if you need cables I’m guessing another $200, and double that for labor if you don’t do it yourself. May be cheaper to get longer arms. I’ve also considered swapping my Roadster for a Scrambler with after market bars as the egos seem different.

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
@GSJOEL it might be easier (and possibly cheaper) to get a set of custom bars fabricated for you by a local custom bike builder. You'd also get something exactly suited to your needs. They might also help you with the brake lines and the install if you don't want to DIY.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lawrence, I want to get mine right, too. My neck aches and I squirm around like a frog on a hot plate after an hour - but that motor, those brakes and the sound it makes help me to forget my discomfort. And did I mention I love looking at it too? But nearly $400 for bars? And if you need cables I’m guessing another $200, and double that for labor if you don’t do it yourself. May be cheaper to get longer arms. I’ve also considered swapping my Roadster for a Scrambler with after market bars as the egos seem different.

I'm not up for any cost if the new 900 XR bar doesn't do the job, and paid a deposit on this basis. Yes - there may - probably will - be a need for new cables, but the expense should be worth it if I can get comfortable on the bike and ride a reasonable distance without bursitis (shoulder) pain and wrist-ache. I totally endorse your positive comments too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts