BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@GSJOEL it might be easier (and possibly cheaper) to get a set of custom bars fabricated for you by a local custom bike builder.
My dealer - who is being pretty helpful and proactive in this process - suggested custom bars, but we decided to try the XR route first. FWIW, my wife had to have a new bar made for her Suzuki Bandit when we were on a 9000km circuit some years ago as she was also experiencing a lot of shoulder pain - the new bar fixed that immediately. I don't recall that new lines were need, and about $400 is in mind as the cost - worth every cent!

Reactions: BaldyDave

·
Registered
88 Posts
Took the plunge and ordered a set of ProTaper Adventure High bend bars today. Local Cycle Gear shop said I can try them on the bike for fit and return them if they don’t work out. Going on a Pandemic Tour of the Rockies Friday but will test the bars out when I return. Will see how they are with and without the Heli risers, report back and post pics. My understanding is that the diameter is right both in the center and for the controls, and all I’ll need do is drill that pesky locator hole. If I’m wrong please chime in. Would love to hear from anyone else who’s gone this route, too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have you guys looked at the Pro Taper Evo Adventure High Bars? I’m hoping to get some installed later on this year

bought a set yesterday and put them in the Helibar risers but haven’t swapped out controls yet as I need to drill them first. Height and comfort are there, though. Also considering a set of bars made in China, pre-drilled and higher, but they are 2” narrower which I don’t like, and I wouldn’t get them until the end of July. Photo shows the Pro Tapers with the stock bars resting atop them. Lawrence’s solution seems the most elegant, but can’t bring myself to spend $400 on handlebars.
image.jpg

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There are some excellent alternatives here, guys, so thank you for every one. I shall keep these all posts in mind if my F 900 XR 'bar doesn't do the job.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hit a snag installing Pro Taper Evo High Bars. They are not threaded on the ends to accept stock screws and weights. what to do? Swap to aftermarket expanding bar end weights?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hit a snag installing Pro Taper Evo High Bars. They are not threaded on the ends to accept stock screws and weights. what to do? Swap to aftermarket expanding bar end weights?

Bummer!

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
You could do, or you could also consider bar end mirrors which will also act like weights.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts