BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'20 r-nine-t/5
69 Posts
I generally use my high beam setting during the day. I have been told by both other motorcyclists that they could see me further out and that there was a noticeable difference in visibility between low and high beam usage. Just as TimC mentioned, I will often sway a little coming up to intersections to get noticed. Blitz makes some excellent and note worthy points - be prepared and do not assume.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I typically ride with low beam, however I did replace the OEM light bulb with the Cyclops LED, which is significantly brighter, and I have 2 auxiliary LED on the crashbars always on, day and night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Been riding since 1967. No accidents. It's all about being seen. (Taught driver's ed in 1969.) No high beams at night, which is the only time you can conceivably blind oncoming traffic, but during the day a high beam makes you noticeably more noticeable.

·
Registered
2020 BMW R Nine T Option 719
16 Posts
Over the years I found it really hasn't made much of a difference, Riding since 1980. I stopped riding with high beams on, people seem to get more aggressive here in Los Angels, the City of Hate.
I use the strobe method when I feel someone is drifting in the lanes. That gets their attention.

·
Premium Member
2017 Classic
230 Posts
High “beams” is just a term we use in the states. We have same headlight as everyone else!
It's a personal bugbear of mine. People using plurals in the wrong context.
The worst is vinyls instead of vinyl when referring to records. The correct term is vinyl in all cases.
It's the same with staffs (workers) and sheeps. In all cases it's staff and sheep.

Be calm Meat, be calm....

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
313 Posts
Reactions: Uncle Meat

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Never, it’s annoying and impolite to other raid users.

Also, never rely on others seeing you, ride like you’re invisible.

Just a random question: Does anyone else ride with the high beams on during the day to be more visible to other drivers? Then switch to low beams (or high beams off) when it gets dark. I think I might have learned this back in 2002 or so when I was taking the California Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, I can't recall. Is this common knowledge?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts