BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day from Sydney.

How MAD is it to want to have a R Nine T as my first motorcycle after getting my full licence?

Without boring you with detail, I am in (kind of) you only live once mode and have found myself fawning over the custom build aspect of the bike.

Im 'mature', driving (and ridden sporadically) for 35 years, ride a Scooter, have my auto licence but would need to convert to Manual. I mention that because I feel that the right wrist sees the agenda and I have this years of road-awareness, if that even matters.

Am I mental?

Cheers

Thommo

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler, HD Rocker FXCWC;
729 Posts
Not mad at all.... it is powerfull, but if you have riding experience and the right mindset, you will be fine. Although doing an advanced rider course or a refresher course has never hurt anyone while waiting for your purchase to arrive.

Go for it!

(yes, I have BMW shares....hahahaha)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not mad at all.... it is powerfull, but if you have riding experience and the right mindset, you will be fine. Although doing an advanced rider course or a refresher course has never hurt anyone while waiting for your purchase to arrive.

Go for it!

(yes, I have BMW shares....hahahaha)
Thanks.

Yeah. I'd do an advanced as well. I kinda like being alive. I did DGR this year and fond myself just drooling over the bikes and particularly attracted to the brutal look of some custom builds. I have a short (ish) commute (15kms) don't think id be a Touring guy to be frank> The R Nine T as a platform appeals to me.

Thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
G'day from Sydney.

How MAD is it to want to have a R Nine T as my first motorcycle after getting my full licence?

Without boring you with detail, I am in (kind of) you only live once mode and have found myself fawning over the custom build aspect of the bike.

Im 'mature', driving (and ridden sporadically) for 35 years, ride a Scooter, have my auto licence but would need to convert to Manual. I mention that because I feel that the right wrist sees the agenda and I have this years of road-awareness, if that even matters.

Am I mental?

Cheers

Thommo
I like the fact that you’re aware that riding UpOn2 requires a different mind set @Ha66is … you’ll do fine ! Having a beautiful piece of equipment like a 9T to ride is just damn good luck because there’s no real different between a big powerful machine and a sweet quiet Vespa … it’s the way it’s ridden. Use your head and be smart … the muscles you need are the same, it’s the reserve power and in the case of the 9T …THE TORQUE that makes it soooo sweet. The only muscle you will develop is the one in your right wrist …. Have Fun sitting on a thoroughbred stallion instead of a stick-horse .. (it’s a Texas thing) .. but put away your fears .. You’re going to love it … myGod when I think of some of the two wheeled junk I rode !?!?!?!? … you are a fortunate soul …
“RideHigh in the Saddle” ..(that’s another Texas thing with a bit of Hippie thrown in) …and always StayUpOn2 …Blitz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I like the fact that you’re aware that riding UpOn2 requires a different mind set @Ha66is … you’ll do fine ! Having a beautiful piece of equipment like a 9T to ride is just damn good luck because there’s no real different between a big powerful machine and a sweet quiet Vespa … it’s the way it’s ridden. Use your head and be smart … the muscles you need are the same, it’s the reserve power and in the case of the 9T …THE TORQUE that makes it soooo sweet. The only muscle you will develop is the one in your right wrist …. Have Fun sitting on a thoroughbred stallion instead of a stick-horse .. (it’s a Texas thing) .. but put away your fears .. You’re going to love it … myGod when I think of some of the two wheeled junk I rode !?!?!?!? … you are a fortunate soul …
“RideHigh in the Saddle” ..(that’s another Texas thing with a bit of Hippie thrown in) …and always StayUpOn2 …Blitz
What a great response. Thanks heaps.
I’ve had a shitey health diagnosis and this would be a wee reward. Probably got 5mths to go before I can ride, so doing my research now, including getting on to a manual licence formally.
Thks for the engagement.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My intention is not to dissuade. I have a mantra that I have found to be true in my 4 decades of riding experience. "Everyone goes down least once" In conversation with other riders I will sometimes ask the question. Know anyone that has been riding a while that has not gone down? I can not recall anyone replying yes. Words to the wise.
OK now lets hear the inevitable rebuttal from the ones that have not gone down...... yet.😄😄✋

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks.

Yeah. I'd do an advanced as well. I kinda like being alive. I did DGR this year and fond myself just drooling over the bikes and particularly attracted to the brutal look of some custom builds. I have a short (ish) commute (15kms) don't think id be a Touring guy to be frank> The R Nine T as a platform appeals to me.

Thanks for the response.
Welcome to the forum Thommo. I'm only an hour south of you so have a reasonable idea of your 15km commute. I'll go against the flow here and suggest you do something rather different. My suggestion will get you an equally good bike for your commute. It will be a better bike for custom building, the bike new will cost about a third as much as an R9T, the aftermarket parts are crazy cheap and the cool factor is enormous. The bike will get more looks and questions from both the general public and other bike riders. I've owned one a little while ago and am actively looking for another to customize while keeping my beloved R9T as my main ride. You have two options depending on your preferred style of the finished project. Go look very hard at Royal Enfield 650's, the Interceptor and the Continental GT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum Thommo. I'm only an hour south of you so have a reasonable idea of your 15km commute. I'll go against the flow here and suggest you do something rather different. My suggestion will get you an equally good bike for your commute. It will be a better bike for custom building, the bike new will cost about a third as much as an R9T, the aftermarket parts are crazy cheap and the cool factor is enormous. The bike will get more looks and questions from both the general public and other bike riders. I've owned one a little while ago and am actively looking for another to customize while keeping my beloved R9T as my main ride. You have two options depending on your preferred style of the finished project. Go look very hard at Royal Enfield 650's, the Interceptor and the Continental GT.
I’ll have a wee look, thanks heaps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My intention is not to dissuade. I have a mantra that I have found to be true in my 4 decades of riding experience. "Everyone goes down least once" In conversation with other riders I will sometimes ask the question. Know anyone that has been riding a while that has not gone down? I can not recall anyone replying yes. Words to the wise.
OK now lets hear the inevitable rebuttal from the ones that have not gone down...... yet.😄😄✋
Thanks for the response. Taken in the spirit with which I’m sure it’s intended.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Nine T Scrambler
255 Posts
It's my first full license bike. In Europe, we have the mandatory 2year long A2 license (limited under 47Hp). In France, you need to pass a class to get the full one.
And so far, so good. Of course it's fast, of course it's powerfull, but it really manageable and the chassis and brake are great.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lots of great advice.

There are 2 philosphies I guess that contradict each other.

Go for something cheaper and a little less powerful or pull the trigger and get the R9T.

The Enfield is a cheap, not as powerful bike, but if you're concerned you might throw it down the road (I think @Juice advice sound) then do that. The downside is you may tire of the lack of power quickly.

If you want the R9T go for it, it's not crazy powerful and is mild mannered, with no demons waiting to jump you when you twist the trottle.

Plenty torque and linear in power delivery, although they are quite heavy.

Perhaps also consider budgeting for crash bars to protect these protruding fragile cylinders?

Either way good luck, if it's giving you the itch then scratch it.

I've been talked outta stuff before and always regretted not going with my gut, but that's me.

·
Administrator
13,516 Posts
Welcome to the forum, can't really add to the advice already given. :)

Reactions: Ha66is

·
Registered
22 Cosmic Scrambler (K23)
128 Posts
Welcome! I echo weegie's advice. There are worse bikes to start on. The 9T is nice because the rowdiness is entirely dependent on your wrist. It also has a heavier throttle compared to other modern designs (which I really really like).

You can flick the bike a bit, but with the stock steering damper you really really have to try. The turn radius is only okay. You can always buy a chinese 125cc bike to drop a few times and keep your drop karma in balance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can always buy a chinese 125cc bike to drop a few times and keep your drop karma in balance.
Thanks for the welcome.

Here in NSW, we can go straight to 600cc on an L. Go figure. I like the idea of a something to fill in (and drop potentially but not too bad) in the year before I can ride over 600cc.

Im riding a 300cc Scoot just now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lots of great advice.

There are 2 philosphies I guess that contradict each other.

Go for something cheaper and a little less powerful or pull the trigger and get the R9T.

Either way good luck, if it's giving you the itch then scratch it.

I've been talked outta stuff before and always regretted not going with my gut, but that's me.
These three comments epitomise my bias. Im kind of not a gradual guy, its all or nothing typically. Which may bode bad for the right wrist but hopefully you get my drift.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts