BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Coming from the GS, what I really miss is this exceptional riding position both sitting & standing.
Any ideas or experience about how to tweak a scrambler or UGS to achieve that?
If I'm not mistaken, handlebar is way higher, maybe closer too, including with risers, footpegs lower and certainly other things I have missed...

vs

Thanks for your insights!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Florent, I am looking for exactly the same, although I am starting with a stock R9T not the scrambler, I'm aiming for modded front fork internals to add height, a GS1200 rear shock (longer), a modded paralever arm from Touratech to increase height and handlebar risers , oh and a thicker seat, theres a guy in the states offering lower footpegs, thats my starting point

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
274 Posts
I own both bikes, my take is that the entire frame/height is very different, as you can feel when you get on. Although both are named “GS”, the seat height, tank length, geometry is very different. That’s also why the “real” GS gives you much longer suspension travel, true off-road capabilities, touring comfort, luggage capacity, more legroom etc.
Honestly, I don’t think you can tweak the NineTs to an extent where you feel like you’re on the big brother. You can mod them with different handlebars, raisers, lower footpegs, but it will never be the same. It’s called “Urban” for a reason. Once you start considering longer trips, or more comfort, you’ll get to the limits of this concept. On the other hand, a NineT is more versatile, more fun in town, on canyon roads etc. Think twice before you spend all that time and $$$, maybe find somebody who has tried that before you, or just park next to the big boy and compare directly. And then buy that one as well, and all is good;-)

PS: nobody would mod their Lamborghini into an SUV, right? Oh, wait, yes they did...🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both, @Norbi, having had several GS, I do agree they are and will remain very different beasts.
The goal is more to tend towards than to have a clone / same capacities.
I just think we can achieve much better on & off road riding positions & off road capabilities while keeping the r9t scramber / UGS souls.
Definitely have a look at what a french youtuber did on his UGS :)
Sorry it's in french !

Lolo is kind of a crazy heroe!

·
Registered
210 Posts
If what you're after is more upright sitting and standing, you can definitely get close to a GS with a combination of bar risers and lower foot pegs. That's what I've done and it is vastly improved, although maybe still not quite as upright as a GS. There are great resources on this forum for both modifications. Much of what Boxer62 describes with suspension and Paralever changes will give more ride height and suspension travel - these are very worthwhile mods too but won't change the riding position.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Two totally different bikes with two distinct riding positions. Sorry, the R9T will never feel like your GS but you could try moving your handlebars forward giving you a more upright riding position. I think your best bet is to buy a different pair of handlebars.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Two totally different bikes with two distinct riding positions. Sorry, the R9T will never feel like your GS but you could try moving your handlebars forward giving you a more upright riding position. I think your best bet is to buy a different pair of handlebars.
Moving the bars forward will be going in the wrong direction my friend. This will have you more stretched out and more bent over the tank. If you want to sit more upright you want to go up and back on the bars, risers are the cheapest and easiest way. Your legs will still be more bent compared to a GS though, so you'll need to lower the pegs too. I've done back to back sitting comparisons with my bike and a modern GS - they are pretty close. Those who say you can't tweak the NineT to get close to a GS riding position are just wrong. It's not witchcraft, it's simple mechanics and ergonomics. It doesn't really matter about the frame or other things, rider positioning is only a function of the relationship between seat, pegs and bars. Two of those variables are adjustable so you can get wherever you want to go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Moving the bars forward will be going in the wrong direction my friend. This will have you more stretched out and more bent over the tank. If you want to sit more upright you want to go up and back on the bars, risers are the cheapest and easiest way. Your legs will still be more bent compared to a GS though, so you'll need to lower the pegs too. I've done back to back sitting comparisons with my bike and a modern GS - they are pretty close. Those who say you can't tweak the NineT to get close to a GS riding position are just wrong. It's not witchcraft, it's simple mechanics and ergonomics. It doesn't really matter about the frame or other things, rider positioning is only a function of the relationship between seat, pegs and bars. Two of those variables are adjustable so you can get wherever you want to go.
I would agree with what you have said. Of course the other variable is the size and height of the rider. I added bar risers, pulled the bars a little closer towards me and I added SW Motech lower foot-pegs. It drastically transformed the ergonomics of the bike for me. However, I am only 5.7 (170cm) so the difference is more pronounced.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
274 Posts
Go to cycle-ergo and play around with the setting. You can get it pretty close with risers and foot peg lowering. Motorcycle Ergonomics

I'm pretty close to the GS riding position with these mods.
I’m not “pretty close”. Not even pretty. The original knee and hips angles were just painful, resulting even in cramps in the hip. And that’s after I had thrown out the clip-ons of the previous owner, which had literally strapped me over the tank. But I tweaked with lower footpegs (Wunderlich), Sargent seat, bar raisers (Voigt), and will even experiment with another 20mm to the (Rizoma M11) handlebar as soon as those screws come in. My experience: every degree improvement on knee and hips counts!
But it will never be the same as a GS/A. Not by a long stretch.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I’m not “pretty close”. Not even pretty. The original knee and hips angles were just painful, resulting even in cramps in the hip. And that’s after I had thrown out the clip-ons of the previous owner, which had literally strapped me over the tank. But I tweaked with lower footpegs (Wunderlich), Sargent seat, bar raisers (Voigt), and will even experiment with another 20mm to the (Rizoma M11) handlebar as soon as those screws come in. My experience: every degree improvement on knee and hips counts!
But it will never be the same as a GS/A. Not by a long stretch.

View attachment 139597
View attachment 139598
I forgot about this website - it's excellent for doing these comparo's. The Urban GS might be slightly different to the standard RnineT though - the seat is higher and gives a little more leg room.

Plus one on the Voigt risers, and I've added 2 of the generic 20 mm riser inserts below them as well. I also added the MV Motorrad peg lowering kit which is very similar to the Wunderlich but costs a little less.

I agree that every little bit of movement of bars and pegs is very noticeable, and my seat of pants live comparo had me believing I was close to a GS. Now that I see this scientific data, perhaps I'm not as close as my bum tells me but it's feeling pretty good now - I can do long rides in relative comfort.

Once you do these changes then riding position isn't the big difference between our bikes and the modern GS: besides the obvious aesthetic differences it's wind/weather protection and modern electronics. Those two are much harder to change.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, check this out on my build page:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Jonnydee very interesting build, I'll follow up. If I may the piled risers give a bit of a giraffe neck impression.
Oh & I'm getting battlax ax41 mounted on satuday, how do you like them?
@shaneturban great but the hands seem mispositioned on the rninet, no?

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is "a real GS"?

Humm... All things being equal and having owned several - the original GS 80/100 was pretty damn comfortable. Arguably a more comfortable seating position and manageable riding machine. Moreover still might be a better RTW bike than these 9T or even the big boy GS.

·
Registered
210 Posts
@Jonnydee very interesting build, I'll follow up. If I may the piled risers give a bit of a giraffe neck impression.
Oh & I'm getting battlax ax41 mounted on satuday, how do you like them?
@shaneturban great but the hands seem mispositioned on the rninet, no?
Yes you may! They do give a giraffe neck impression indeed - I prefer the look of the bike without them but I have to tell you: they make the bike damn comfortable so no way are they coming off!

The Battlax AX41 tires are, in a word, awesome. I do 90 to 95% street riding but purely for aesthetics I wanted a knobby looking tire, but I did not want to give up on-road dry and wet grip because I really enjoy ripping it up in the twisties to the best of my ability. I can honestly say that the AX41s will give grip levels equal to a high performance sport touring tire like a Michelin PR5 or Pirelli Angel GT which I ran frequently on previous bikes. PLUS they look great and for what little dirt riding I do - also amazing, lots of grip and they really track well through the dirt, I have more confidence with them for sure. Plus they are relatively quiet and smooth running. Only downside in my opinion is the wear - I got around 7,000 km out of the first rear, I think I can get double that out of a front we will see.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts