BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellos, I need a little help with placement of the seat.

New seat is on the right below, and not sure what I'm missing. I'm assuming I have to remove some parts?

Denim Bag Personal protective equipment Electric blue Leather

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part

I could use a little advice here 馃槄 thought this would be the easiest replacement of all haha

Registered
The front tabs just slide under the black tabs and then you just screw the bolt in the back. You might need to take out mid catch thing. It's that piece in the middle with the two arrows on it. It looks like the new seat doesn't use the middle catch. I have a Corbin seat and it doesn't use the middle catch either.

Premium Member
BolivarSuave - greetings from Boca Raton!

I ride a Scrambler with the bench seat. It engages at four 鈥 not two 鈥 locations and gets held in place by that silly bolt (M6? I replaced the torx bolt with a knurled-headed bolt) in the rear.

I marked the four tab locations and the bolt (duh!) on your pic. Knowing the length of the bench I wouldn't feel overly happy with it only attached to the bike by the front and the bolt in the back.

We can always meet and look at it together (good enough excuse for a ride?) Well, perhaps not if you're in NYC, but MIA would work for me ;-)

Shoe White Black Font Personal protective equipment

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BolivarSuave - greetings from Boca Raton!

I ride a Scrambler with the bench seat. It engages at four 鈥 not two 鈥 locations and gets held in place by that silly bolt (M6? I replaced the torx bolt with a knurled-headed bolt) in the rear.

I marked the four tab locations and the bolt (duh!) on your pic. Knowing the length of the bench I wouldn't feel overly happy with it only attached to the bike by the front and the bolt in the back.

We can always meet and look at it together (good enough excuse for a ride?) Well, perhaps not if you're in NYC, but MIA would work for me ;-)

View attachment 146892
Thank you @shaneturban and @Parkblu ! Much appreciated. Good excuse for a ride for sure, I've been using the Rever app and there's a Miami - Boca Raton route that I want to mark off :p keep you posted.

Appreciate the marked pics, makes sense after taking a second look, should be able to make it work by removing where those extra tabs go into from the OG seat.

Cheers!

Super Moderator
2014 Classic
should be able to make it work by removing where those extra tabs go into from the OG seat.
If the Rich Phillips seat has sufficient clearance, you shouldn't have to remove anything to make it fit.
Slide the two tangs at the front into the forward retainers, and then lower the rest of the seat down to check how close the rear comes to its mounting position.
I'm wondering if there should be a spacer where the rear bolt goes through as there is a further distance to the nut compared to the OEM seat.
Don't tighten too hard incase you end up bending the seat downwards.

Premium Member
Thank you @shaneturban and @Parkblu ! Much appreciated. Good excuse for a ride for sure, I've been using the Rever app and there's a Miami - Boca Raton route that I want to mark off :p keep you posted.

Appreciate the marked pics, makes sense after taking a second look, should be able to make it work by removing where those extra tabs go into from the OG seat.

Cheers!
I wonder if the middle tabs are hidden under the fabric?

Come on up! What Miami-Boca route did you have in mind? Not 95 I hope :LOL: But seriously, I wonder if there's a any fun route between our two places.

[SIDEBAR] Btw, Rever, which I've been using on and off as well, this week announced one of the Holy Grails of moped navigation, namely choosing roads by surface type:

"Introducing: Surface Types!
Paved or unpaved: know before you go!
Want to know if there鈥檚 going to be a gravel section in the middle of your road ride? Or perhaps not be disappointed by all the pavement on your backcountry bikepacking adventure? Well now you can!"

Havrn't tried it yet, but happy finally someone woke up to the vexing surface issue, after Kurviger and [another German app from Berlin, with an expensive annual subscription] attacked the other question: how to map curvy roads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts